Difference between 6950 2gb and 560 ti

chchom22

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'm looking to purchase a video card for my new 2500k build, but i do not know the significance and meaning of the numbers and speeds of cards.

After reading many reviews it seems like the 6950 is the better choice but what I am seeing is that you can easily buy a 560 with 900mhz core clock. The majority of the 6950s have an 800mhz core, but im not sure if u can buy a reference card anymore( seem to all be out of stock, they stop making them?)

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
chchom22-

these cards are very comparable as far as the performance you will see. If you're not very into the tech side of things, you'd probably be hard pressed to tell the difference while playing games. 2 things to remember:

- Comparing the speeds of two different cards is not a fair comparison. If you're looking at the same card the one with the higher frequency should perform better (all other things equal). These two cards have different architectures and the higher frequency on the 560 doesn't mean it's faster.
- There aren't a lot of reference 6950's around, but there definitely are some. Don't be put off by non-reference cards. Usually these cards are the result of the individual cardmaker working to improve the design (faster, quieter, cooler, etc).

My recommendation to you is to keep an eye out for a good deal on either of these cards and jump on it. Also, if you have any preference for one brand over the other that may impact your decision. You really can't go wrong with either one of these cards so don't let the decision get your blood pressure up. Good luck!