Sign in with
Your question

Few Questions On Monitors

Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2011 11:37:09 PM

Sorry, didn't know where else to post this.

How big of a difference is the refresh rate between 5ms and 2ms? Also what does the GtG mean?

If the monitor comes in with built in speakers, would I be able to disable them and hook it up to separate speakers? Many people say that the speakers built in with the monitor have horrible quality.

Here are a few monitors that I've been looking at and can't decide which one to go with:
E2360V 23" Widescreen LED backlit LCD Monitor - $169.99
S231HL bid 23" LED-backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor - $159.99
VE247H 23.6" LED backlit Widescreen LCD Monitor - $199.99
E2350V-SN 23" Widescreen HD LED-backlight LCD Monitor - $179.99
VE228H 21.5" LED backlit Widescreen LCD Monitor - $159.99
E2250VR-SN 22" LED Back-lit Super Resolution Ultra Slim Design Monitor - $149.99

I was definitely wanting to go with the 23.6" monitor, which is currently out of stock.. but it has the 2ms refresh rate. Any suggestions?

More about : questions monitors

July 17, 2011 12:43:42 AM

Can anyone help me?
m
l
July 17, 2011 12:53:19 AM

You don't need to use the speakers on the Monitor. If your GPU supports HDMI then it may well have a sound chip that will try and play to the monitor speakers. This is fixed by selecting the sound card you normally use as the default one in Control Panel Sound options.

As far as monitors go all of those are probably ok for the price. However I have recently scored a Samsung 27 inch P2770. The awesome thing about this monitor is when I play older games like Warcraft 3 I can run the games in the 4:3 format at practically any resolution and the screen presents the game without stretching it across the monitor killing the aspect ratio and making the game look stupid. If you can, make sure that whatever monitor you buy can do this. Check out Samsung's 23 inch offerings to see if it has this built in technology. Not been stuck with one native resolution and possessing the ability to use the 4:3 as well as the 16:9 ratio has been a huge bonus.
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2011 1:07:24 AM

What would I look for in the specs for the sort of technology?
m
l
a c 98 C Monitor
July 17, 2011 1:26:30 AM

The maintain aspect ratio option is a gpu option not the monitor and can be set in the gpu control panel.

The asus is the best because of response time (completely different than refresh rate, I'm sure that was a typo) size, and the mazimum brightness but of course costs the most. However 5ms for games is just fine as well and you probably won't even notice a difference. GTG stands for grey to grey, pretty much every company will give gtg for response time.

That asus does cost less on newegg and amazon.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE247H-23-6-Inch-1920x1080-M...
m
l
July 17, 2011 1:40:25 AM

Sure you can force a display ratio with the GPU but if the monitor is married to one native resolution (as most cheap ones are) then you are going to run into issues. I can set Warcraft 3 to 1280 x 1024 and the monitor displays it perfectly at 4:3 aspect ratio at the correct resolution.
m
l
a c 98 C Monitor
July 17, 2011 3:31:28 AM

While monitors can have their own scaling options the gpu overrides it. Gpu control panel should have 3 scaling options and I've never seen one that didn't. 1, maintain aspect ratio which will scale the image (making it blurry) til it hits the edge of the screen and then put black bars on either the top and bottom or the sides to preserve the ratio, 2, fullscreen or fixed ratio which will stretch the image to fill the whole screen causing distortion and 3, center or no scaling which does not scale it at all and can put a black square around it.
m
l
July 17, 2011 3:55:27 AM

What you say is true. I have seen the GPU settings myself. However I am in a position to try out different types of monitor and what I found was this.

The GPU is set to the monitors native resolution. On the ASUS when I configured Warcraft to run at 1280 x 1024 it stretched the image at the lower resolution to fill the screen. Warcraft is definitely a 4:3 focused game and just doesn't cut it in wide screen like many older games. When I used the Samsung based on the Warcraft settings alone the Samsung presented an exact 1280 x 1024 resolution at 4:3 and upon exit immediately returns to the screens native resolution. Of course there are black bars on either side but that is not an unacceptable experience for certain games.

Now I could use the GPU to force the ASUS into line but in doing so I am forcing the screen to play ball where as the Samsung takes it all on itself and presents me with what I want when I want it. This makes it a much smarter screen and it has a technology inbuilt which IMHO is extremely worth while to have.
m
l
July 17, 2011 4:10:56 AM

Ok I have looked further into my configuration. The scaling is occurring on the GPU. The Override games and programs is off. So essentially the game is telling the GPU what it expects in terms of scale and resolution. Warcraft is set to 1280 x 1024. This is resolution I played on my previous Sony 4:3 Monitor. If I put on the ASUS 24 " LED screen I have it stretches the game which does not work well. Therefore it is the ASUS itself that is not responding to the GPU when the GPU tries to obey the games settings. The Samsung P2770 I now use does respond and uses its own inbuilt capability to present exactly what the GPU / Game is demanding.

To my mind this makes the Samsung a Gamer's Screen while many other offerings are more pedestrian and are more for standard users and business applications.
m
l
a c 98 C Monitor
July 17, 2011 5:03:07 AM

Is the asus recognized as a generic pnp monitor?

Changing the gpu scaling options is no different than an auto change function of a monitor. So a 1 time change of a gpu option isn't so bad IMO.
m
l
July 17, 2011 5:14:05 AM

The ASUS is recognized as what it is not a Generic so that is not the issue. I had the same issue on an LG as well. I think the issue is whether the monitors in question are fixed frequency or multi frequency.
m
l
!