Sign in with
Your question

Crashing/freezing problem

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2011 12:53:20 AM

Hi guys, I'm new here this is my first post but I didn't know who else to ask apart from the people i've been coming too for a while now and finding answers of other peoples posts.

I built my own computer a few months ago and ever since I built it, sometimes after several hours of use, my computer will completely lock up and freeze. My computer doesn't BSOD, it just locks up. No sound, cannot move the mouse, keyboard doesn't work and if I do the ol' "Caps lock test" and press caps lock to see if the LED lights up, theres no response. I am forced to hit the restart button on my computer to reboot.

My spec is:

AMD Phenom IIx4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz CPU
ASUS M4A88T-M Series Motherboard
Sapphire radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
8GB Corsair 1666MHz 2x4GB RAM
500GB Seagate SATAII @ 7200rpm hard drive
1000w OCZ ZX Series 80+ Gold PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I have tried a lot of things already to find a solution such as swapping out my RAM in case it was my ram, i've ran memory diagnostics with no errors, I tried to run an application called memtest to check my RAM and it actually crashed whilst trying it (Coincidental I think) so i'm positive its not my RAM, i've tried swapping out my PSU to a 500w PSU and swapping my graphics card out for a radeon HD 5770 and convinced its nothing to do with my video display. I've put my windows disc in and ran repair tools and even reinstalled the entire windows and its still doing it. The only thing left that it could be is either the motherboard, my CPU or my hard disk somehow crashing.

Another thing I tried is looking at the Event Viewer and found that on the time of crash, event viewer states "The Multimedia Class Scheduler service entered the stopped state." but i'm not sure whether thats because a piece of hardware failed or what?...

Could you guys recommend me on any ideas? I don't have the money to buy a new CPU, Motherboard and hard drive at the minute, however I DO have the money to buy either one of them if it needs replacing.

Kind regards

William
July 17, 2011 12:58:45 AM

Oh another thing that might help you out. I've noticed the likelyhood that my computer will lock up like it has been when rendering a video in sony vegas pro 10 (when the cpu usage is high) is highly likely, but does it at random times when i'm not rendering also so i'm 100% positive its not sony vegas doing it either.
Related resources
July 20, 2011 6:26:32 PM

I am having the exact same issue with the following hardware

AMD Ahtlon II e240 CPU
Asus M4A88T-M/USB3 Series Motherboard
Kingston 3GB (1x KVR1066D3N7/1G, 1x KVR1066D3N7/2G)
Using the onboard videocard a Radeon HD4250
Western Digital WD2500AAKS Harddisk
500Watt RS-500-PCAP-A4 CoolerMaster PSU (Default Silencio case PSU)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

My systemen freezes randomly and / or doesn't boot. I am having a simular problem like sparkes. With the only difference that the system most of the time doens't even starts up. By which I mean even the Asus mobo will show up. The Dram LED on the motherboard lights up. According to the manual this indicates memory issues. Sometimes Memtest did display errors. Since I returned my motherboard and memory to my supplier I don't get memory errors anymore. Before I send it back and tested it, I noticed I only got the memtest error when using the A-type slots of the motherboard. But even in that scenario the errors are random and memtest didn't always resulted in errors.

I swapped the PSU and tried starting the system with the minmum of hardware installed. But with no success. The funny thing is. Yesterday the computer booted up fine with both dimms in the blue sockets. Today it wound. I switched the memory modules arround, but the system still isn't booting. While writing this posting I am running the system with only one of the dimm modules installed. Meaning either with one 1GB module or one 2GB module. The good news...untill now the system is still running and startsup fine. So it could be that the modules / motherboard combination of different dimm sizes is incompatible? The modules themselves are both on the Asus qualitief vendor list.

In the past I could get a stabler system by increasing the memory voltage. But say after a week / few weeks the system would have the same problem again. Remove one dimm would than again most of the times result in a systeem boot.
When I bought the system it did work fine for a few weeks.

I am at a loss. Any suggestions?
July 20, 2011 7:30:04 PM

I bought a new HDD today, replacing my 500GB Western digital drive with a Samsung 'SpinPoint' f3 1TB and the same problem persists. Seen as though I have replaced EVERY other component apart from the CPU and motherboard, I've winded the problem down to being either my CPU faulty or the motherboard being faulty. when I sell my old components I'll invest in a new processor as I think its my CPU not dishing out enough CPU power as I have noticed an increase in crashing/freezing since I installed my new video card, ram and PSU.

Thanks for the reply. It puts me more to ease knowing I'm not the only one experiencing this awkward problem.
July 20, 2011 7:32:27 PM

Coincidentally our motherboards are the same model as well, maybe its something to note down
July 20, 2011 7:40:12 PM

I replied because we have the same motherboard :-)

Personaly I think my motherboard is faulty somehow. But my supplier says he didn't experience any errors while testing my motherboard and memory with their own cpu, graphic card whatever. Unfortunaly I couldn't be there while they were testing the hardware. But apparently the hardware passed memtest passed with flying colours.

Have you tried running your system with one memory module to see what that does? My system still hasn't hanged itself and it still boots successfully.

- Update -
Do you have a spare computer case you could test? If the earthing (is that and English word?) of the casing is bad that can case some wierd problems.
July 20, 2011 7:52:05 PM

I don't have any spare cases no :S but i'll try enabling just the one memory module and see how it goes.

Thanks for the tip.
December 9, 2011 10:37:31 PM

sparkes4284 said:
Hi guys, I'm new here this is my first post but I didn't know who else to ask apart from the people i've been coming too for a while now and finding answers of other peoples posts.

I built my own computer a few months ago and ever since I built it, sometimes after several hours of use, my computer will completely lock up and freeze. My computer doesn't BSOD, it just locks up. No sound, cannot move the mouse, keyboard doesn't work and if I do the ol' "Caps lock test" and press caps lock to see if the LED lights up, theres no response. I am forced to hit the restart button on my computer to reboot.

My spec is:

AMD Phenom IIx4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz CPU
ASUS M4A88T-M Series Motherboard
Sapphire radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
8GB Corsair 1666MHz 2x4GB RAM
500GB Seagate SATAII @ 7200rpm hard drive
1000w OCZ ZX Series 80+ Gold PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I have tried a lot of things already to find a solution such as swapping out my RAM in case it was my ram, i've ran memory diagnostics with no errors, I tried to run an application called memtest to check my RAM and it actually crashed whilst trying it (Coincidental I think) so i'm positive its not my RAM, i've tried swapping out my PSU to a 500w PSU and swapping my graphics card out for a radeon HD 5770 and convinced its nothing to do with my video display. I've put my windows disc in and ran repair tools and even reinstalled the entire windows and its still doing it. The only thing left that it could be is either the motherboard, my CPU or my hard disk somehow crashing.

Another thing I tried is looking at the Event Viewer and found that on the time of crash, event viewer states "The Multimedia Class Scheduler service entered the stopped state." but i'm not sure whether thats because a piece of hardware failed or what?...

Could you guys recommend me on any ideas? I don't have the money to buy a new CPU, Motherboard and hard drive at the minute, however I DO have the money to buy either one of them if it needs replacing.

Kind regards

William

I searched for weeks, tried vidio driver updates, computer settings, and a bunch of other things. Then I ran across a blog that suggested going back to basics. Like most people, I did not think I had a heat problem, but despite what I believed, I took the case apart and put a small window fan next to the computer. That was the problem. It was the first thing I should have tried. Could have saved a lot of time with a simple test.

Give it a try.
December 12, 2011 12:34:49 PM

My problem is solved. In my scenario the problem was caused by what appears some kind of memory incompatability. The wierd thing is that both Kingston dimms are supported by the asus vendor list. When I changed the memory configuration to either 1x 1GB, 1x 2GB, 2x 2GB or 2x 1GB the systems did not crash / freeze. The current configuration uses 2x 2GB and runs stable for a couple of months now.
!