M5A97 pro With FX Processor

villa_22

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hello, I'm looking at buying an Asus M5A97 pro motherboard with an FX-8150 Processor. However I have read if the Bios are under version 0813 the cpu will not boot. Is there anyway for me to find out the Bios before I order? I'm guessing its best to to just message the company I'm buying it from and asking but thought I would ask you guys first to see if anyone could help. Thanks for your time.

No, unfortunately not. One way is to purchase a low end am3 cpu like my sempron 130 and flash the bios. Some folks will get an older cpu instead, one that they know works. Some other brands of boards have newer chipsets and don't require a bios flash. I would get a different board if you don't have an older cpu to flash with. My 130 is for sale in anandtech's for sale forum, if you're interested. It was the last sempron made, and in spite of the fact that it's not listed under "cpu support" lists, it will work fine on any am3 board.

villa_22

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for a cheap CPU then. Is there a way for me to find the Bios version before I put everything together?

No, but a few boards only have one bios version available; if you find one and your cpu is listed in the "cpu support" section, then you'll know it won't require a bios flash to work with your cpu. Biostar has a few boards like this.