Sign in with
Your question
Closed

MSI r6950 2gb Issues Help?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2011 6:59:56 PM

Have a look at my other thread here if you would:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037218403&posted...

My card is the R6950-2PM2D2GD5, listed with the rest of my rig's components at that link.

Basically I'm a little sketchy on how to go about setting up drivers with unlocking shaders, which to do first how to blah blah.

I'm not sure Tom's Hardware's policy on this sort of stuff, so if I'm breaking rules I apologize, disregard that part.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, I installed the 11.4 drivers issued to me via AMD's site for my GPU/OS (hd 6950 2gb reference / windows 7 ult 64x) and I encountered nonstop screen freezing and display driver crashing/recovery. Seemed to happen A LOT with firefox, and often with internet explorer, but it also occured with opening the CCC suite, and possible other stuff... It just kept happening. :cry: 

There were also other issues, my desktop's graphics just didn't seem on par with what they should have been at 1920x1080 for that video card. I just got the feeling that I was using a weak video card at a resolution higher than it should be able to handle. You know that feeling. Everything doesn't happen as quick and crisp as it should.

What should I do? Is there a better version of drivers that will stop this? Did I do something wrong some how?

More about : msi r6950 2gb issues

May 6, 2011 7:18:01 PM

Did you flash it using a 6970 bios?
Score
May 6, 2011 7:20:38 PM

First off, don't unlock your shaders yet, don do anything to the card or anything not normal. If you are having problems with your system, resolve those first. Make sure there is nothing defective with the card in it's stock setup.

Remove the drivers you currently have, do a clean sweep of the drivers, and install the drivers listed on the amd.com web site.

If your system is not stable at this point, try and find out what is wrong. You don't want to create a new set of problems before the 1st set are taken care of.

Once you get that fixed, I'll have a link for you to unlock the shaders without changing any voltages and you can use MSI afterburner to alter the clocks beyond normal max clocks (I'd recommend only changing the GPU core clocks).
Score
Related resources
May 6, 2011 7:21:31 PM

I'll check back later with those links. I need to head out.
Score
May 6, 2011 7:30:20 PM

Alright thanks!

I didn't do anything abnormal yet, fired comp up, checked mobo bios settings, installed windows, installed the chipset drivers and some other stuff for my mobo, did some windows updates, optimized windows a little bit for SSD use, installed a couple of things like firefox/cc cleaner/spybot, and now I'm trying to set up GPU.

I installed the drivers from AMD, and had those issues... So I followed a guide to uninstall ATI drivers very thoroughly, seemed great, normally I use driver sweeper, but the guide said that could potentially cause issues. All in all it seemed like a very thorough uninstallation.

So this is where I stand now. I'll go ahead and download/install them again as you say, and post my results in a few.
Score
May 6, 2011 7:35:13 PM

Edge2500K said:
Alright thanks!

I didn't do anything abnormal yet, fired comp up, checked mobo bios settings, installed windows, did some windows updates, optimized windows a little bit for SSD use, installed a couple of things like firefox/cc cleaner/spybot, and now I'm trying to set up GPU.

I installed the drivers from AMD, and had those issues... So I followed a guide to uninstall ATI drivers very thoroughly, seemed great, normally I use driver sweeper, but the guide said that could potentially cause issues. All in all it seemed like a very thorough uninstallation.

So this is where I stand now. I'll go ahead and download/install them again as you say, and post my results in a few.

Do you currently have any issues? If everything is running good, then great, you can start with the unlocking of shaders. I thought I read you had some issues, maybe you meant your previous system.

Also, given that the MSI R6950's don't have the bios switch, you may incur some risk. I'll have to check to see if you can flash back if something goes wrong. It may just require you to have a 2nd card to boot off if things go wrong.
Score
May 6, 2011 8:51:24 PM

bystander said:
Do you currently have any issues? If everything is running good, then great, you can start with the unlocking of shaders. I thought I read you had some issues, maybe you meant your previous system.

Also, given that the MSI R6950's don't have the bios switch, you may incur some risk. I'll have to check to see if you can flash back if something goes wrong. It may just require you to have a 2nd card to boot off if things go wrong.

I did have issues. Once I got everything up and going, windows installed etc, I went to install AMD's video drivers, ccc 11.4. After that is when I encountered all the video driver crashes etc. I thoroughly removed them, and issues have stopped. Though having awful graphics quality due to no installed drivers is the side effect. Installing the drivers again as you have instructed right now.

Also, my MSI card appears to have the bios switch? IDK if it works, it's a tiny little black switch with two settings, "1" and "2" it is defaulted on "1".
Score
May 6, 2011 9:25:14 PM

Actually I just noticed that on amd.com I can choose either the package download tab and get the CCC 11.4 etc, or I can go to individual downloads tab and download it piece by piece and perhaps omit something that I do not want/need. It has display driver, opencl driver, uhmmm catalyst control center, uhmmm that's it. So I could get the display driver by itself. Or do I want CCC?
Score
May 6, 2011 10:26:26 PM

Edge2500K said:
Actually I just noticed that on amd.com I can choose either the package download tab and get the CCC 11.4 etc, or I can go to individual downloads tab and download it piece by piece and perhaps omit something that I do not want/need. It has display driver, opencl driver, uhmmm catalyst control center, uhmmm that's it. So I could get the display driver by itself. Or do I want CCC?

You want the CCC, it includes features to adjust graphics quality. Since you do have the switch, then you should have no real fears of the instructions I'm going to provide.

1st, you'll want to save a copy of your existing bios. You can follow the bios flash guide steps 1, 3 and 4 to save your bios. This is just in case something doesn't work right (not all 6950 GPU's have fully function shaders). The flash instructions are here: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...
Just do steps 1, 3 and 4.

Next, download this: www.techpowerup.com/wizzard/Mod_BIOS_HD_6950.zip

Extract the script and copy over the original saved bios into the folder for this script. It needs to be named "original.bin"

Now run the script (it will tell you instructions) and follow the original flash instructions with the modified bios. ( http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar... ) follow steps 5 through 9 with the modified bios created with the script ( modded.bin )
Score
May 6, 2011 10:50:54 PM

Just to be clear. Before you do the above steps, make sure your system is running stable with everything installed.
Score
May 6, 2011 10:54:00 PM

Everything seems stable and fine, no crashes or problems that I've seen. I haven't run any stress tests on cpu/memory yet though. Going to proceed with 11.4 ccc installation, be right back.
Score
May 6, 2011 11:09:43 PM

ccc 11.4 installed, seems stable thank god.. no crashes yet, all appears fine, actions like minimizing windows etc seem a little less than perfect (what you would witness at 800x600 resolution) maybe that's normal and I just expected different, oh well. Ok let's see if I can get through these steps. You're sure this is the best way? I was looking around and was about to give these a shot:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26...

and there's a giant quote here that gives steps to editing the registry to allow any program to overclock the 6950 beyond its normal limits. Looked pretty good:
(scroll about half way down)
http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/954528-all-radeon-6950...
Score
May 6, 2011 11:14:37 PM

Edge2500K said:
ccc 11.4 installed, seems stable thank god.. no crashes yet, all appears fine, actions like minimizing windows etc seem a little less than perfect (what you would witness at 800x600 resolution) maybe that's normal and I just expected different, oh well. Ok let's see if I can get through these steps. You're sure this is the best way? I was looking around and was about to give these a shot:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26...

and there's a giant quote here that gives steps to editing the registry to allow any program to overclock the 6950 beyond its normal limits. Looked pretty good:
(scroll about half way down)
http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/954528-all-radeon-6950...

I'd use your system a few days before diving in, if it were me. I'd also try to see about increasing the resolution. You might not have the settings correctly set. Right click the desktop and choose screen resolution, then see about altering it to fit your monitor.

Also, don't follow either of those guides. They can lead to damaged cards. A number of people who flashed their bios to a 6970 bios (which those are doing), end up with damaged video ram. The steps I gave above, only partially follow those guides, but instead of flashing to a 6970 bios, it uses your original bios, altered to unlock the shaders, and nothing else. So you have all the original timings.
Score
May 6, 2011 11:21:20 PM

Are they really? Could have sworn they were just methods of altering the bios to unlock shaders and allow for higher voltage/clocks memory excluded. I suppose I could wait a day or two. Can you suggest a few really good bench programs to burn everything in and make sure it's stable. I have 3dmark11 that came with the card. Anything else?
Score
May 6, 2011 11:25:27 PM

Edge2500K said:
Are they really? Could have sworn they were just methods of altering the bios to unlock shaders and allow for higher voltage/clocks memory excluded. I suppose I could wait a day or two. Can you suggest a few really good bench programs to burn everything in and make sure it's stable. I have 3dmark11 that came with the card. Anything else?

The first one, as far as I can see, has you flashing a modified 6950 bios. The potential problem with that, is that it uses some random 6950 bios, and not one specific to your video card. The timings may be different on your MSI R6950 compared to an ASUS 6950.

It may be safer than using a 6970 bios, but I would rather alter the original, but it's your call.

Either way, I wouldn't do either until you are certain your system is currently functioning properly.
Score
May 6, 2011 11:26:24 PM

Something to push cpu, and something to make sure memory is good.

Also, while I got you. I have 2 ssd's. A 64gb 1 that I'm using as main boot drive for OS and core stuff, and a 2nd 120gb ssd that I want to use for my main apps/games, like office and all of my games etc, later I'll be getting a 1TB hdd for all my pictures/movies/music etc. How do you suggest I go about setting that 2nd SSD up to do that? First what's the best method of partitioning it so it's useable, and second how should I branch of the parts of the OS I want to be on there. I read a method that basically works like a shortcut, the system things your folder 1 is located on drive C, has a little shortcut icon on it, but it's physically located on drive E. That sound good? Or what.

BTW thank you for helping me out, much appreciated.
Score
May 7, 2011 1:45:01 AM

I'm no expert on the SSD stuff. You better get help from someone else.
Score
May 8, 2011 12:37:31 AM

Ok there must be something seriously horribly wrong with the new 11.4 ccc from amd because I can NOT get my graphics to stop crashing. I reformatted like twice, completely clean windows installation all nice and proper nothing abnormal, get it up and running, all is 100% stable and runs smooth as silk. Even made a backup image because it was done so nicely, THEN I install the ccc 11.4, and gg what a surprise I open web browser, 5 seconds later screen freezes for a few seconds, blacks out, and comes back. Didn't even install firefox this time, just an updated windows internet explorer.

I am clueless as to what I should do about this, I can't seem to get video drivers to stop crashing. Any ideas?
Score
May 8, 2011 1:00:42 AM

Edge2500K said:
Ok there must be something seriously horribly wrong with the new 11.4 ccc from amd because I can NOT get my graphics to stop crashing. I reformatted like twice, completely clean windows installation all nice and proper nothing abnormal, get it up and running, all is 100% stable and runs smooth as silk. Even made a backup image because it was done so nicely, THEN I install the ccc 11.4, and gg what a surprise I open web browser, 5 seconds later screen freezes for a few seconds, blacks out, and comes back. Didn't even install firefox this time, just an updated windows internet explorer.

I am clueless as to what I should do about this, I can't seem to get video drivers to stop crashing. Any ideas?

Was this before or after you altered the 6950's bios?

I personally have no issues with 11.4.
Score
May 8, 2011 1:08:16 AM

I did a fresh reinstall of windows today because I messed up some parts of the OS yesterday.

So... Step by step here's what I've done today.

Reformat SSD's
Install windows 7
install motherboard drivers etc
adjust windows 7 for SSD optimization, ie disabling defragmentation prefetch/superfetch etc, file indexing blah blah
install spybot protection
updated internet explorer
install cc cleaner & clean out temp files
create a backup image of windows on external hdd

installed ccc 11.4 from amd.com, rebooted, resolution automatically adjusted itself to the proper settings of my monitor, 1920x1080 @ 60hz

Curiously, I opened windows internet explorer, 5 seconds later screen froze, went back, then recovered. I adjusted the screen in ccc so that black boarder wasn't there anymore, basically stretching the displayed screen to the size of the monitor, not sure why it's defaulted to be like that with AMD's cards.

Graphics drivers are still crashing. :cry: 
Score
May 8, 2011 1:21:33 AM

Do you have a spare video card to try in your machine? This may have nothing to do with the card.
Score
May 8, 2011 1:23:46 AM

Yeah I think I have a geforce gt or gts 240 somewhere, and an amd xfx 4670
Score
May 8, 2011 1:32:52 AM

The computer I'm actually on right now is using the 4670 with ccc 11.4 running at 1920x1080p @ 60hz and has no issues at all that I'm aware of, aside from being sluggish since that's a high res for this card.
Score
May 8, 2011 1:38:22 AM

Yah, try either of those in this system that's crashing and see if anything changes. You may have recieved a defective 6950 as well. Oh, one more thing, you mentioned about having a bios switch on your MSI R6950. I'm not certain that is actually a bios switch. With some research, it appears that they made that a fan switch on their Twin Frozr models. Maybe you have it off and the cards over heating.
Score
May 8, 2011 1:43:32 AM

It's set to "1" the fan is spinning and the card doesn't feel more than warm to the touch. Just went to us.blizzard.com/diablo3/ site has a lot of graphics and stuff to load, was graphics driver crash city.

Gonna go remove drivers and try the 4670 out, be back.
Score
May 8, 2011 4:56:33 AM

Following someone's advice I went ahead and completely removed drivers again and installed the ccc 11.4 early preview version. At first it seemed fixed, but then the problem returned in full, random graphics drivers crashes while browsing the web...

I haven't even tried to game yet. *Sigh*

Guess I'll go run the 4670 now.

P.S. sorry that took so long, I saw a domesticated rabbit loose in my yard and wanted to catch it. Big yard, fast rabbit, was fun.. Caught the bastard though.
Score
May 11, 2011 5:40:46 PM

I thought I'd keep everything together here in one place in case someone else had a similar issue.
mobo: asus p8p67 pro
cpu: i7-2600k
cpu hsf: cm hyper 212+
ram: g.skill ripjaws x 2x4gb ddr3 1600 8-8-8-24
gpu: msi r6950 (soon to be xfired)
sound card: undecided
ssd1: 64gb adata flash / sandforce 2nd gen controller
ssd2: 120gb intel x25-m
storage: samsung spinpoint f3 1tb (coming soon)
optical: samsung sh-222ab (dvd rw)

((R6950-2PM2D2GD5))

When attempting to load web browsers or go to visually demanding sites, I experience a LOT of display driver crashes, sometimes many times in a row, and sometimes without recovery.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - 1920x1080 @ 60hz

Ok, I apologize for my long absence, but I've done a lot and has some other stuff to take care up. So here's my update.

After trying almost every CCC patch under the sun in an attempt to solve my 'web browsers causing display drivers to crash randomly' issue, I tried to run my XFX HD 4670 in my new comp to make sure that there was nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately I ran into some issues where my comp was unable to properly recognize the hardware while installing drivers. Looking back I think that was my fault for enabling a policy restriction that stops windows from automatically installing its own drivers for hardware. There is a workaround for that, at least I think so. Either way, I scrapped that and decided to give the new MSI r6950 a go in another of my comps, a somewhat newer one, though small. While installing the card into the case, it was such a tight fit that I accidentally unplugged the main HDD and didn't know it. So it booted up from an older, messed up vista HDD and I became thoroughly confused, and attempted to install drivers running into all sorts of issues with host process stopping and... It was just an unholy mess. Eventually I figured out what I had done, set up properly on the normal Windows 7 HDD, and by now noticed some newer 11.5 drivers were out so I figured why not. So I gave them a shot, everything set up fine but when I tried to run firefox, bam! Display driver crash! So by this point I'm thinking well damn, maybe it's the card. As much as I didn't want it to be, because I'd be cardless while waiting for my 2nd to arrive.

I was about to put the card back into my new rig when all of a sudden, my door bursts open and a gust of wind blows my papers everywhere. I look to see what douche bag was responsible only to see some crazy glowing dude standing in the door way with a large brown package in his arms. His name tag read, "Roberto" and he had the appearance of an overly humbled Mexican laborer, with a glorious mustache to prove it. I knew right away what he had brought me, and earlier than I had expected. It was my salvation, the 2nd card. Normally I would have been above showing the delivery man any sort of affection, though, this time I thought some form of gratitude was in order. I gave him the mightiest of hugs. He shot me a thankful grin that said, "I understand, you're welcome." Though I'm sure he himself probably would not have been able to piece those words together. And, with that he was off.

Now came the moment of truth. All my burning hatred and angst for AMD/ATI and their drivers was at the boiling point, despite that I had to show the gentle care of a loving mother. I carefully removed the smaller box from the shipping box, removed the thick plastic cover, and lifted the card containing plastic bag from its foam enclosure, slid the card out of the bag into my hands, pulled free the little plastic blue protectors from all of the ports and such. The case was already on its side so I popped the new card gently into its PCI-e slot, screwed it tight against the case's frame, plugged the PSU into the card and proceeded to set the case upright afterwards plugging my beastly Monoprice HDMI cable into the card.

I was previously tinkering with the CMOS battery, which I have no idea how to operate. I was only trying to figure it out without having to read any more than I had already that day, but apparently I did reset it, so the startup sent me to the BIOS, I set all the normal stuff, boot order, X.M.P, BIOS admin password, and that's about it, saved and reset. Started up fine, nothing different there, checked to make sure everything was functioning, yep yep. (I had previously done a thorough AMD/ATI driver removal) Now came the time to install drivers, I was curious at the time about 11.4 vs 11.5 so I did a quick google check for info and discovered a thread talking about 11.5, 11.5a, and 11.4 cap2. It suggested using 11.5a hotfix with 11.4 cap2, installed in that order with reboots in between for a small performance gain, so that's what I did. After all was set and done, I first started Internet Explorer, no issues.. Then I started Firefox... Still none. Then I went to a visually demanding site, the Blizzard's Diablo 3 site seemed pretty decent for making it crash before so I went there. No problems, I watched some of the trailers/movies there. Crisp and quick, I was happy. I started 20 Internet Explorer windows, and 20 Firefox windows while watching a trailer. GLORIOUS SUCCESS!

I was even finally able to run a Windows Experience Index test, before it failed leaving graphics at 1.0 saying something like failure to test video playback or something. 7.9 and 7.9 for graphics. Yay!!!

So I guess I did indeed have a bunk card, which I now need to replace. I'd like to get the same revision of my card which seemed to be running low on stock at the time that I ordered before. Should I contact Amazon.com about a replacement, or MSI? Whatchu guys think? I'm still within my 30 days, so I'd think Amazon, that way I get to keep my 3year warranty? I definitely want to get the same card to match my current so that I can unlock their shaders and xfire em.
Score
May 11, 2011 5:47:08 PM

You are quite a writer. That was a riveting short story. Anyways, I'd send it back to Amazon. They'd likely just swap it out for you, where as if it was sent to the manufacturer, they'll test it, and send the same one back of they didn't experience the same troubles.
Score
May 26, 2011 5:22:33 AM

bystander said:
You want the CCC, it includes features to adjust graphics quality. Since you do have the switch, then you should have no real fears of the instructions I'm going to provide.

1st, you'll want to save a copy of your existing bios. You can follow the bios flash guide steps 1, 3 and 4 to save your bios. This is just in case something doesn't work right (not all 6950 GPU's have fully function shaders). The flash instructions are here: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...
Just do steps 1, 3 and 4.

Next, download this: www.techpowerup.com/wizzard/Mod_BIOS_HD_6950.zip

Extract the script and copy over the original saved bios into the folder for this script. It needs to be named "original.bin"

Now run the script (it will tell you instructions) and follow the original flash instructions with the modified bios. ( http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar... ) follow steps 5 through 9 with the modified bios created with the script ( modded.bin )

is there anything that can be wrong still if it says 1536? that seemed way to easy
Score
May 26, 2011 5:25:55 AM

chchom22 said:
is there anything that can be wrong still if it says 1536? that seemed way to easy

There is about a 97% chance your card will work following the directions. However, if you are in the 3%, you may see the same shader count you always did or you may have the card become unstable. You should be able to flash back in either case, but it may not be 100% (I did test it on one with a dual bios, and I was able to recover without using the backup).
Score
May 26, 2011 8:37:18 PM

in catalyst control center, in amd overdrive...the current values are always changing sometime 800mhz/1400mhz other times 250mhz/150 mhz. in gpu-z,

Score
May 26, 2011 8:52:49 PM

chchom22 said:
in catalyst control center, in amd overdrive...the current values are always changing sometime 800mhz/1400mhz other times 250mhz/150 mhz. in gpu-z,

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/11/05/26/fep.png

That's normal most the time. When ever in 2D mode and mostly idle, the clocks drop to 250mhz/150mhz. As soon as you view a new web page or open a 3D game, it'll jump to full clocks. If it's just a webpage at the desktop, it will drop back down to idle clocks until you view a new one.
Score
May 27, 2011 3:06:43 PM

bystander said:
That's normal most the time. When ever in 2D mode and mostly idle, the clocks drop to 250mhz/150mhz. As soon as you view a new web page or open a 3D game, it'll jump to full clocks. If it's just a webpage at the desktop, it will drop back down to idle clocks until you view a new one.

in gpu-z should the default clock and gpu clock be different? because in overdrive it never goes above 800, but the bios i used were 900mhz...

and what kinda numbers should i be seeing in 3dmark11, the numbers eem really low
Score
May 27, 2011 3:09:29 PM

chchom22 said:
in gpu-z should the default clock and gpu clock be different? because in overdrive it never goes above 800, but the bios i used were 900mhz...

and what kinda numbers should i be seeing in 3dmark11, the numbers eem really low

Depending on the rest of your system, you will be around P5000 in 3dmark11. + or - a few hundred.
Score
May 27, 2011 3:23:39 PM

bystander said:
Depending on the rest of your system, you will be around P5000 in 3dmark11. + or - a few hundred.

fps around 20? i have 2500k, 8 gigs ram,
Score
May 27, 2011 3:39:16 PM

chchom22 said:
fps around 20? i have 2500k, 8 gigs ram,

3dmark11 is not designed to be played, but to push your system to it's limit. They want it to push systems for a few years. I have two 6950's unlocked and I'm getting into the 20's on FPS on a few of the tests. The jungle at night test really pushes your system hard. Of course the CPU tests are going to have low FPS, because that one doesn't use your video card.
Score
May 27, 2011 3:41:28 PM

Oh, I also have noticed that it appears that you have your card underclocked. If that's a 6970 bios on the 6950 card, I assume you have purposefully dropped the clocks down to 6950 levels. If so, that's fine.
Score
July 13, 2011 8:22:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!