Sign in with
Your question

Thinkin about gettin some more RAM

Last response: in Memory
July 7, 2012 8:32:43 PM

Thinkin about getting this:
http://www.frys.com/product/6906857?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...
and already have this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have a few questions:
-Should I wait and find a better deal on 1600 MHz RAM? Will it make much of a difference?
-Does two different brands of RAM go together? And do you just insert the RAM, and that's all?

-Thanks

More about : thinkin gettin ram

July 7, 2012 8:43:49 PM

Why would you want more than 8GB of RAM?
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:49:04 PM

Ironslice said:
Why would you want more than 8GB of RAM?

Only 6GB is usable, because 2GB is constantly being used by the system (at least before I restored.)

Why, is 8GB enough?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 7, 2012 8:53:23 PM

tw23 said:

Why, is 8GB enough?

No. The question is: Do you use programs that need 8GB+ RAM?
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:56:51 PM

Anonymous said:
No. The question is: Do you use programs that need 8GB+ RAM?

No. Well, what programs use over 8GB? lolz.
I develop and play games (such as BF3 or MW2)...
Thanks ;)  :)  .
m
l
July 7, 2012 9:06:11 PM

It is best to get matching RAM from the same vendor. It does not need to be on the motherboard's qualified vendor list but it may help. It should all have the same timing as well.

Ideally get name brand since quality from stick to stick will be more consistent.

Will you MB run the 1600 MHz? You will not see any apparent increase in speed over the 1333 variety. Perhaps 1333 would be the better value.

Personally I have 16GB and 75% of the time I am using less than 8GB. Photoshop sure likes the extra room though.
m
l
July 7, 2012 10:54:12 PM

Traildriver said:
It is best to get matching RAM from the same vendor. It does not need to be on the motherboard's qualified vendor list but it may help. It should all have the same timing as well.

Ideally get name brand since quality from stick to stick will be more consistent.

Will you MB run the 1600 MHz? You will not see any apparent increase in speed over the 1333 variety. Perhaps 1333 would be the better value.

Personally I have 16GB and 75% of the time I am using less than 8GB. Photoshop sure likes the extra room though.

Yes, of course my MB supports 1600. It's the ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z/GEN3... so I shouldn't get this RAM?
Because I have Kingston Blu, and I want to get Corsair Vengeance LP 1333.
m
l
July 7, 2012 11:06:40 PM

BTW, both have the same timing (9-9-9-24) and same voltage (1.5v)...
m
l
July 8, 2012 4:34:10 AM

It may be ok but what happens if there is a slight difference in the chips soldered to the ram sticks between the 2 brands? You might end up with unexplainable weird crashes. You might not.

For that matter you might even have the problem getting more of the same stick you already have because they are different lots of the same ram.

It is a toss of the dice.

Just read again what you wrote earlier "Yes, of course my MB supports 1600. It's the ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z/GEN3... so I shouldn't get this RAM?
Because I have Kingston Blu, and I want to get Corsair Vengeance LP 1333."

For the extra $4, I would get more of what you have already to eliminate any cross brand problems.

m
l
July 8, 2012 8:54:08 PM

Traildriver said:
It may be ok but what happens if there is a slight difference in the chips soldered to the ram sticks between the 2 brands? You might end up with unexplainable weird crashes. You might not.

For that matter you might even have the problem getting more of the same stick you already have because they are different lots of the same ram.

It is a toss of the dice.

Just read again what you wrote earlier "Yes, of course my MB supports 1600. It's the ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z/GEN3... so I shouldn't get this RAM?
Because I have Kingston Blu, and I want to get Corsair Vengeance LP 1333."

For the extra $4, I would get more of what you have already to eliminate any cross brand problems.

Kk... but it's an extra $19... the Corsair was on sale yesterday for $30.
I guess I'll have to wait for the Blu to go on sale.

m
l
a c 146 } Memory
July 8, 2012 9:01:45 PM

tw23 said:
BTW, both have the same timing (9-9-9-24) and same voltage (1.5v)...

Get 16GB from Corsair u have selected in Frys and sell or donate that old RAM.
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:28:39 PM

tw23 said:
No. Well, what programs use over 8GB? lolz.
I develop and play games (such as BF3 or MW2)...
Thanks ;)  :)  .

most programs are 32-bit (4gb limited) sure -- not many are 64-bit (4+gb support) BUT if your running say a heavy 32-bit game (theres 4gb) plus A/V (another ~4gb) plus OS requirements (~4gb more) theres atleast 12gb - 16gb is a decent ammount for anything.

Dont get the idea 4/8gb is plenty its not.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 8, 2012 10:55:20 PM

apache_lives said:
most programs are 32-bit (4gb limited) sure -- not many are 64-bit (4+gb support) BUT if your running say a heavy 32-bit game (theres 4gb) plus A/V (another ~4gb) plus OS requirements (~4gb more) theres atleast 12gb - 16gb is a decent ammount for anything.

Dont get the idea 4/8gb is plenty its not.

You must have a lot of start up programs to have 4gb of OS, mines is only 1.9 atm, with firefox and a few other programs on already.
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:48:32 AM

power user mate i thrash whatever system

my work rig i use alot of browser tabs virtual machines and alot of data transfers etc - testing transfers testing movies research downloads etc

also 8-16gb is so cheap why the hell not :B
m
l
a c 146 } Memory
July 9, 2012 8:52:56 AM

Weekly, I use all 16GB of RAM just with Chrome.

m
l
!