Sign in with
Your question

Games crash to black screen after installing 5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2011 8:19:38 PM

Hi
I have just upgarded my graphics card from a hd 5770 to a 5850 1gb extreme but when ever i start to play a game it will crash to a black or grey screen, it wont let me do anything apart from ctrl-alt-del, then when back at desktop i have a notification saying "display driver amd has stopped responding but has been recovered"

I have used cpuid hwmonitor to check the temperatures and they all seem fine, my display driver are uptodate and i have done a clean install of the driver but no change

Hopefully someone can help

My specs:
windows 7 64 bit
phenom II x4 965
8gb ddr3 ram
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G
OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU
Casecom 6788 Black Mid Tower Case
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 1024MB
May 6, 2011 8:49:33 PM

I have tried googling it but there seems to be a million different answers, i am guessing its either something to do with driver compatibility or maybe my psu cant handle it all

Fingers crossed someone might know
a c 124 U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 9:36:36 PM

Well, first thing to do is to make sure it's not the drivers.

Uninstall the current ATI drivers, then run Driver Sweeper and clean them out completely. After that install the latest 11.4 drivers.

You could try maybe an older driver revision.

Also have you OCed anything? If so, try running everything back at defaults (reset the BIOS to stock) and see what happens.

If that doesn't fix it, chances are the card needs to get RMAd, unfortunately. The PSU should be powerful enough, 5850s are only 150W cards.
Related resources
May 6, 2011 9:53:41 PM

Ok thanks i will try cleaning out the drivers and reinstalling, sorry if being stupid but what do mean by RMAd, faulty card?
a c 124 U Graphics card
May 6, 2011 9:59:41 PM

It's when you send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement because it's defective. You can try getting in contact with whoever you bought it from, but otherwise you'll need to contact Sapphire.
May 6, 2011 11:51:26 PM

I have tried to download driver sweeper but am unable to, but i did uninstall the newest driver (11.4) and i downloaded a older version instead and for some reason its works now

But what does this actually mean? will i never be able to update my display drivers?
a c 124 U Graphics card
May 7, 2011 2:34:12 AM

No just sounds like the drivers didn't quite install properly and had issues. If it's fine now then that's good. You may want to try running FurMark for 10 minutes to really stress the GPU and see if it's going to have some problems, but if it's ok then yeah... must have just been a bad install. It happens sometimes to everyone.

Whenever updating your drivers make sure to completely uninstall the old ones first.
!