Computer rebooting on its own during game

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
OK I seem to be having pretty much the same problem as most on here. I have done everything people on here has said to do. Here is the results.

power supply = brand new and barely getting warm to the touch
MOBO = doesnt feel warm
Event veiwer = says I am running windows server 2003 when I am running windows xp pro. also it says reason for shutdown unknown.

I have the side panel off my computer, a house fan blowing directly into the computer on top of 3 fans already in the system. I'm not overclocking my system. The only time it turns off (I don't mean shut down i mean it turns off and reboots as if someone pulled the power cord and turned the computer back on) is when I'm playing DDO. i can play wow all day long and nothing. I can run my 3d studio max 2010, nothing. i can leave my computer running for a week straight running the most intensive 3d creation program everyday and not get a shutoff and reboot. however i can have my computer off for 5 hours turn it on, boot it up, and log into my game, and within 5-15 minutes poof im rebooting.

Any ideals would be greatly appreciated.

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Here is my computer's specs

Manufacturer : eMachines
Mainboard : Intel D102GGC2
Chipset : ATI RC410
Processor : Intel Pentium XE @ 2666MHz
Physical Memory : 2048MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI RADEON XPRESS 200
Hard Disk : HDT722520DLAT80 (200GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B
Monitor Type : Xerox XL-370 - 17 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8139/810x Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Media Center 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)
DirectX : Version 9.0c (May 2010)

Here is what the event viewer says about the reboot

ID : 1074
Type : Notice
Source : USER32
Description : The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of YOUR-BBCEFF2880 for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found

Minor Reason: 0xff

Shutdown Type: reboot

Comment:

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I couldnt even run furmark i dont have opengl 2.0 lol

I am downloading a new driver for my video card now that should hopefully allow it to run and who knows might even get rid of the problem if so then it was definatly a driver issue.

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
ummm my video is a built in and the motherboard itself with everything i have on it only uses 400 watts. since that is the stock power supply the new one i bought tho is a 600 watt. could it possibly be getting too much power maybe? cause i highly doubt it aint getting enough.

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

Where do I get prime95 cause the only program i found matching that name was some program to generate random numbers or something like that.

RussK1

Splendid
I can't seem to fathom why you'd have to run a stress test as you already know it completely shuts down while you lightly stress the machine. Gaming is really not that hard on a system and it crashes, no blue screen nothing right? No sense in running a stress test... What you need is something to check the voltages on the PSU. Whether it be a multimeter or software...

Keep it simple, if the machine just shuts down... 99% sure it's power related~ wall socket or psu.

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
After running prime95 for the last 5 1/2 hours. and nothing happening no shut down nothing. temp never went above 71, never lost power even tho i did the torture test heat intensive one, granted the computer was loud as hell the whole time, well the fans was.

Obviuosly, you have never played DDO. if you think it is a light stress it gives the system. while playing DDO my CPU stays around 50-80% use, my memory stays around 75-85% use, and my disks stay around 35-45%, all non stop. which is more then I can say for when i try to render a massive 3d compilation.

Ive now had my system at FULL load for the past 5 1/2 hours and nothing happen. So obviously it is NOT a power supply problem, nor a temp problem. It might of been a outdated driver problem as i stated before, since there was a update for it that i didnt know about.

got any other tests that you want me to throw at my system to try to shut it off again? cause honestly if 5 1/2 hours of max load don't shut it off nor get it above 71 C not sure what else it could've been other then the driver.

RussK1

Splendid

Hate to burst your bubble but you can throw an aluminum can at that pentium and stress it. Drivers cause blue screens and bug checks... if your machine is just shutting off while playing dungeons it's power related... plain and simple... a buggy driver will cause a machine to freeze and no input will help other than a hard reset or it'll cause your system to blue screen with memory dump.

If you're convinced it's driver related then you're done and you don't need help...

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Try this :
http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark03/
http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark05/

Hopefully this should shut your computer down.:)

And if it does I bet there is something wrong with your psu.It just can't provide power to all your system component simultaneously.

RussK1

Splendid

I was going to recommend pcmark but I don't know if any of the versions will run with Windows xp. Either way, pcmark or 3dmark should shut it down if there's an issue with psu. Could also try and run OCCT Perastroika power supply test.

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
with OCCT it auto disabled the power supply test because I dont have something i dont remember what lol.

3dmark 03 well you said you figure it would power off well guess what

Score:
1170 3DMarks
Add to compare
ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Series video card 3DMark03 benchmark test score
Name

Description

Processor
Processor
Get it! Intel Pentium D 805
Processor clock
2542 MHz
Physical / logical processors
1 / 2
# of cores
Graphics Card
Graphics Card
Get it! ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Series
Vendor
Intel Corp.
# of cards
SLI / CrossFire
Off
Memory
256 MB
Core clock
0 MHz
Memory clock
0 MHz
Driver name
Driver version
Driver status
FM Approved
General
Operating system
32-bit Microsoft Windows XP (5.1.2600)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation D102GGC2
Memory
2048 MB
Module 1
1024 MB Kingston DDR2 @ 266 MHz
Module 2
1024 MB Kingston DDR2 @ 266 MHz
Detailed scores
3DMark Score
1170 3DMarks
GT1 - Wings of Fury
39.92 FPS
GT2 - Battle of Proxycon
7.86 FPS
GT3 - Troll's Lair
6.4 FPS
GT4 - Mother Nature
7.43 FPS
CPU Score
537 CPUMarks
CPU Test 1
54.44 FPS
CPU Test 2
10.45 FPS
Fill Rate (Single-Texturing)
326 texels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing)
579 texels/s
Vertex Shader
3.06 FPS
Pixel Shader 2.0
11.89 FPS
Ragtroll
4.75 FPS
No sounds
30.54 FPS
24 sounds
25.86 FPS
Settings
Default settings used
Yes
Width
Height
Anti-Aliasing
None
Texture Filtering
Optimal
Repeat Tests
Off
Fixed Framerate
Off

It might be a crappy score but i NEVER lost power
I'm downloading 3dmark05 now and will test it again using that one maybe it will do what you insist it will

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Well guess everyone is out of ideals on this one. Even tho everyone says it is a power supply problem that it aint giving enough power to the system, all programs that SHOULD shut my computer down IF that is the problem ain't doing it. Where it comes to it being the temp, well during game or the test temp never went above 70 C. In another post they mentioned it could be the drivers. Well that WAS outdated but is fixed now. If i have the problem again I'll be sure to post about it but so far since i have updated my drivers i have had no problem.

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
well still no good answer for what is causing it. I have ruled out everything through the programs YOU all suggested. and it has finally happened again. one time since my last post. That was after being on for a good week - 2 weeks nonstop playing my game everyday. So maybe it is temp. but it took alot to get the temp up lol. Not sure what the temp was when it did it as i didnt have time to check it out.

RussK1

Splendid

I'm going to look into my crystal ball here~
ball.jpg
...yes I see, I see a Coolmax power supply problem.

Seriously, it is junk. Whether it be ripple, drops in power or simply "IT" overheating. If I were YOU that would be my center of attention (although I never would have bought it).

drgsldr69

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
a power supply problem that passed every test you had me throw at it saying it would trip the PSU IF that was the cause of the problem. Interesting, sorry Russ you sound like a broken record that can't stand to be wrong. IF the PSU passed every test you could throw at it and STILL not power off then OBVIOUSLY it IS NOT the psu.