Aug 6, 2009
Hello guys,
I got an old rig:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
MoBo: Asus M4a78e
PSU: Corsair 750w
RAM: 3gb random brand
Video Card: EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512Mb

Since my video card passed to better life, I'm planning to get a HD 6950 2Gb. (and from here I'm going to start changing all other pieces)
My question is: Since I know I can unlock SOME 6950 flashing them with 6970 bios, what brand should i get?
I saw forum posting about referenced models and not-referenced models.
Can anybody post a list so I can choose 1 "secure"card for unlocking?

Thanks

I would highly advise upgrading your CPU before you get the 6950.Theirs no chance you'll see an improvement over the 9800gtx+ with a 6950 on CPU like that.I know you said you were going to upgrade other pieces as you go but you should get the CPU and Mobo first.

peppone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Well yeah I know you are right, but I still need to get a new video card since mine is not working anymore =]
So even if I need a new CPU i still needed the advices about the 6950 unlocking

Thanks for you help

peppone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

Sorry I didn't see this post...
So you also are saying that i should upgrade my CPU/MoBo before I buy the video card because I will not see any improvement?

No as i said i don't agree with that as the reason. Personally i think you will see improvement. You will be restricted by your CPU but i don't see it being a nothing at all upgrade.
Whats the time line between this and the other upgrades ?
Bottom line the way i see it is this if you are just doing it one piece at a time and you want to do this first then fine. However if you have any ideas that putting this card in will make a huge difference to your performance then you will end up being disappointed.
You could end up with no gain i just don't think so I cant say for sure but i know it would come down in part to resolution. @1920x1080 your CPU would be able to run a 5850 to its limits based on a couple of articles Toms have done on budget CPU's and bottlenecks.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3,2452.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i3-gaming,2588.html
Looking at those you will see that a X3 720 can run up to the capabilities of a 5850( second link), also you will see that the Athlon II X3 435 is a pretty even match for said X3 720(first link).
Now look at this result http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/28?vs=112 You will see your CPU isn't far behind.
A 6950 is a faster card than a 5850 granted but based on all the data i cant see it being reduced down to no gain at all.

Mactronix :) PS If the result dosent come out im sure you can enter the CPU's into the drop down yourself ;)

peppone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

The timing will be 3 weeks/ 1 month every piece, but i need this computer up and running.
I rather have a nice video card bottlenecked by my CPU (but waiting for improvement) that a nice CPU/MoBo, but i still cannot use my computer because my video card is broken, make sense doesn't it? =]

I really appreciate your help and those links are really helpful.
Thanks again =]