Scanner Question

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 15, 2005 4:47:38 PM

I'm looking to buy a 35mm film scanner. I'm considering either the
Nikon Coolscan V or the Konica Minolta Dimage Elite 5400 II. Has
anybody had experience with either of these scanners that they'd like
to share with me? My goal, of course, is both quality and ease of
use.

Two specific questions. First, I've read in a few places that there
have been problems with the KM. Have those been ironed out?
Specifically, some folks seem to think that the software is more
difficult to use. Second, is the difference between 5400 dpi and 4000
dpi at all important? Is it a noticeable difference?
--

Pete McCutchen

More about : scanner question

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 4:47:39 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:47:38 GMT, Pete McCutchen

>I'm looking to buy a 35mm film scanner. I'm considering either the
>Nikon Coolscan V or the Konica Minolta Dimage Elite 5400 II. Has
>anybody had experience with either of these scanners that they'd like
>to share with me? My goal, of course, is both quality and ease of
>use.
>
>Two specific questions. First, I've read in a few places that there
>have been problems with the KM. Have those been ironed out?
>Specifically, some folks seem to think that the software is more
>difficult to use. Second, is the difference between 5400 dpi and 4000
>dpi at all important? Is it a noticeable difference?

The original Minolta 5400 used a cold-cathode
light source, as do many film scanners.

The Nikons use a tri-color LED array.

Having used both types, I much prefer the
Nikon approach. Every film scanner I've
ever used with cold-cathode lighting has
had an issue with banding. And lately I've
been reading of exactly such issues on the
original Minolta 5400.

There's been a new release of the KM 5400
with -- tada -- LED lighting.

Both Nikon and Minolta have excellent
optics and will get 95% of the detail
that's there to be had.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:37:12 PM

Pete McCutchen wrote:
Second, is the difference between 5400 dpi and 4000
> dpi at all important? Is it a noticeable difference?

Check out this site, showing the 5400 I, not 5400 II, compared to the
LS2000 and LS4000. Credit to Bart van der Wolf.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/foto/scan/se5400/se5...

Also, browse through the comp.periphs.scanners group. There's a 2/19/05
thread which discusses the new 5400, including what might have been
given up in the new version. Be warned that this thread goes on ad
nauseum, but you can quit whenever.

Mike
!