GBA Hasbro/Atari Monopoly AI is not good

Gunny

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004

Here is my experience with the GBA Hasbro/Atari Monopoly 4-languages Europe
version that came out last december 2004.

I started a Standard gamein English. One human, one computer player at best
level (Tycoon). All game options left to default setting. OK, I lied, I
turned off the music. ;)

AI is not good:
1. The computer lands on a street that nobody owns and that he needs to get
a full set. He has plenty of money. What does he do? He does not buy so it
is sold in auction (to me because I pay whatever to avoid the AI having a
full set.)

2. AI buys himself out of jail even when the situation is not good. One of
my tactics is to stay in jail as long as possible when the situation out
there is not good, computer does not seem to share this idea.

AI cheats:
3. When I have not much money, the AI does not buy new streets but puts
them in auction to buy this at less than the original price (always one bet
above my complete wallet), since I have no way to go to the Manager to get
more money (e.g. by mortgaging properties) during the betting.

4. Offers lousy properties such as a train station or water works in return
for a missing street to get a full set. See also remark 9.

Other bad things in the game:
2. AI goes to the Manager before every dice roll and does not seem to do
anything there. This makes the game much slower.

6. When you don't have enough money to pay, you don't see how much (more)
you need. So you just sell houses or mortgage properties until the Pay
option is accepted.

7. It should be possible to turn off the animations to increase the speed.

8. Your third (and last) turn in jail there should be no option to pay the
fine since you are released even if you don't throw double.

9. When you receive an offer you cannot check the board, you have to know
by heart who needs what.

The number of times the AI lands just before or after your hotel you start
doubting if even the dice throwing goes randomly. But this I cannot prove
of course.
BTW, even with all these problems I was able to win my first game in many
years against an best level AI opponent: although I was almost bankrupt at
some point I fortunately had a blocking minority of all colours and 2 full
collections myself so after several hours my 6 hotels killed him. From a
score of 100-3.000 I returned to 10.000-700 at the end.

--
Best Regards,
Gunny

"gunny" <gunny_NO@SPAM_yucom.be> wrote in message
> Here is my experience with the GBA Hasbro/Atari Monopoly 4-languages
Europe
> version that came out last december 2004.
>
> I started a Standard gamein English. One human, one computer player at
best
> level (Tycoon). All game options left to default setting. OK, I lied, I
> turned off the music. ;)
>
> AI is not good:
> 1. The computer lands on a street that nobody owns and that he needs to
get
> a full set. He has plenty of money. What does he do? He does not buy so it
> is sold in auction (to me because I pay whatever to avoid the AI having a
> full set.)
>
> 2. AI buys himself out of jail even when the situation is not good. One of
> my tactics is to stay in jail as long as possible when the situation out
> there is not good, computer does not seem to share this idea.
>
> AI cheats:
> 3. When I have not much money, the AI does not buy new streets but puts
> them in auction to buy this at less than the original price (always one
bet
> above my complete wallet), since I have no way to go to the Manager to get
> more money (e.g. by mortgaging properties) during the betting.
>
> 4. Offers lousy properties such as a train station or water works in
return
> for a missing street to get a full set. See also remark 9.
>
> Other bad things in the game:
> 2. AI goes to the Manager before every dice roll and does not seem to do
> anything there. This makes the game much slower.
>
> 6. When you don't have enough money to pay, you don't see how much (more)
> you need. So you just sell houses or mortgage properties until the Pay
> option is accepted.
>
> 7. It should be possible to turn off the animations to increase the speed.
>
> 8. Your third (and last) turn in jail there should be no option to pay the
> fine since you are released even if you don't throw double.
>
> 9. When you receive an offer you cannot check the board, you have to know
> by heart who needs what.
>
> The number of times the AI lands just before or after your hotel you start
> doubting if even the dice throwing goes randomly. But this I cannot prove
> of course.
> BTW, even with all these problems I was able to win my first game in many
> years against an best level AI opponent: although I was almost bankrupt at
> some point I fortunately had a blocking minority of all colours and 2 full
> collections myself so after several hours my 6 hotels killed him. From a
> score of 100-3.000 I returned to 10.000-700 at the end.
>

> --
> Best Regards,
> Gunny

I bought this a few weeks ago. I am a bit disappointed too. I know what you
mean about all the points.

If you read the instruction booklet it mentions a cheat entry screen. where?
I can't find it.
The game sometimes uses $ as well as £.
no save game option
Maybe the AI is different depending on the token? In my last game, the AI
kept a minimum amount of cash. Every time I took more off it, it
sold/mortgaged its properties to keep cash of about £400
The AI isn't cheating when it wants to auction a property you can't afford.
I do that now !

I think sometimes a pen and paper would be handy to keep track of who owns
what.

fray bentos

TRENDING THREADS