Dropping network connection?

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Hi!
I have a few issues with my Wireless network.
Okay technical stuff first:
Win Vista 32bit
Dlink DWA 547
Dlink DIR 655 (both made for N tech)
Network configured for N, so the network sends at 300mbit/sec
The internet speed is supposed to be up to 24mbit/sec (usually more at 16mbit/s)
Computer aint too far away from router (has 3/4 dots of connection)

The problem is that i drop my internet(and/or network(?)) for short periods of time.
The internet is gone for about 10-30 seconds and it happens maybe 20 minutes apart.
I havent had problems before until now. So what can cause these drops?

If this has anything to do with it: at my routerpage (192.168etc in browser) it says at status the theres two of my computer connected to the router (same computer name, 192.168.0.198 and ...199, different MACadresses). If this is the case, how do i make so my computer only connects to the router on one occation?

And yeah, latest firmware, latest card update.

Thanks for any help!

G

To narrow down the issues, try connecting the computer to router by ethernet cable and see if the problem goes away.

If it does it's probably a wireless issue.

If not, well, there are several other issues to consider.

13ilbo

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
To narrow down the issues, try connecting the computer to router by ethernet cable and see if the problem goes away.

If it does it's probably a wireless issue.

If not, well, there are several other issues to consider.

Im on ethernet cable now, no problems...

Could the double connection be an issue?

or what else can cause a slow/dropping wireless networK?

G

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.