SSD Caching questions

mrECKS

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
So i've been reading that you can use a small-mid sized SSD as a memory cache to speed up the HDD (correct me if this is wrong or partially right). All I can seem to find is HOW TO's for setting it up on a Z68 mobo (im guessing thats what the Z68 is), my questions are:

Is the SSD Caching limited to certain mobo's? If it is, is there a list somewhere I can look up MOBO restrictions?

What is the actual Hardware set-up I need to do to configure it/set it up (is it just SATA Connector + POWER to MOBO)?

Software wise: Do I need to install some sort of RAID Driver? (From what I read in the Z68 how to guides found all over the net), and Do I need to reinstall Windows to get it to register as SSD?

What are the actual changes needed within the BIOS? Are there BIOS restrictions as well?

Is SSD Caching the same as Intel's Smart Response Tech?

Any tips on what I should be wary of when doing this (Assuming I am able to)?

Hi there,

Its faster to get an SSD and install the system and apps on SSD,

rather than use the cache feature.

Or for situation when u cannot afford to get all the programs on it,

like large games and other large apps.

System Requirements

A system to support Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) it must have the following:

Intel® Z68/Z77/H77/Q77 Express Chipset-based desktop board
Intel® Core™ Processor in the LGA 1155 package
System BIOS with SATA mode set to RAID
Intel Rapid Storage Technology software 10.5 version release or later
Single hard disk drive or multiple drives in a single RAID volume
Solid State Drive (SSD) with a minimum capacity of 18.6GB
Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista* (32-bit and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows 7* (32-bit and 64-bit editions)

"Is the SSD Caching limited to certain mobo's? If it is, is there a list somewhere I can look up MOBO restrictions? "

The chipset is to start with.
Must have Intel® Z68/Z77/H77/Q77 Express Chipset-based desktop board.
and
Intel® Core™ Processor in the LGA 1155 package.

"Do I need to install some sort of RAID Driver? (From what I read in the Z68 how to guides found all over the net), and Do I need to reinstall Windows to get it to register as SSD? "

Just install the driver. Its all on your mobo website under the drivers. No, no re-install of the windows is needed.

System BIOS with SATA mode set to RAID
Intel Rapid Storage Technology software 10.5 version release or later
Single hard disk drive or multiple drives in a single RAID volume

mrECKS

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
O I C...so then I will have to reinstall Windows onto my SSD and use my HDD as a storage unit.

My SSD is 100g so I was wondering if doing the 60g memory cache on it and having windows on my HDD was a better option, but it may just be that I have to install the way you suggested.

Although I was trying to avoid having to constantly move apps over from HDD to SSD and so forth.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!

"Is SSD Caching the same as Intel's Smart Response Tech? "

Intel® Smart Response Technology

This feature requires that the SATA controller be set to RAID mode via the system BIOS.

Intel® Smart Response Technology is an Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) caching feature that improves computer system performance. It allows a user to configure computer systems with an SSD used as cache memory between the hard disk drive and system memory.

This provides the advantage of having a hard disk drive (or a RAID volume) for maximum storage capacity while delivering an SSD-like overall system performance experience. Intel® Smart Response Technology caching is implemented as a single drive letter solution; no additional drive letter is required for the SSD device used as cache.

Haven't seen anyone put it more succinctly than this:

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h67-p67-z68-and-h61-chipsets-a-22.html

Finally, another feature of a Z68 chipset is known as SSD caching which is where it allows the use of a small (say 10 or 20 GB) Solid state hard drive to act as a cache for a larger ‘traditional’ hard disk. If you are already planning the use of a Solid State drive this feature is redundant.

If you can’t afford a decent size SSD (40GB+) then there are more cost effective ways around using a small SSD and SSD cashing like spending less on a motherboard, (H67 chipset or even a P67 chipset) and putting the saved money into a decent size SSD.