eos01

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I've just put together my first build, mainly for gaming.
It consists of:
- i5 2500 3.30 ghz Sandybridge CPU
- Asus Radeon HD 6850
- Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3 Intel P67
- 500W Coolermaster Elite Power ATX2.3
and a hard drive and dvd drive, with a CM storm scout case, which has 3 fans built in, and two extra optional LED fans that I also added.

I had some problems turning it on (no monitor attached, without the extra two LED fans) first of all, but resolved it when I discovered the plugs in the front panel header weren't in the right places.
It was all going well, I plugged the extra LED fans power into the motherboard and they turned on, and then I tried to plug in the power supply for the actual LEDs on the fans into the front panel header, as that's where they appeared to go (I know it was pretty stupid).

So everything is working just fine before I put in the LED power sockets into the front panel header, and then when I turned it on to test them, everything turns on for about half a second, I hear a little click or something (no smoke or anything), and it now refuses to turn on, even after removing the LED plugs.

I've done a bit of research and apparently the LED power sockets wouldn't have been able to damage the motherboard or any other components because they don't have a high enough voltage, so I don't see what's wrong.

I've tested the PSU, and it's working just fine on its own, and I've also removed the graphics card and tried turning on without it and still nothing is happening.

The LED that was lighting up indicating power is no longer doing so.

I'm at a loss :cry: , sorry if this is in the wrong place in the forum, I'm new here.

I can't even find a cooler master elite 500w psu. Are you sure that's the exact model?

I can't find a CM Scout case that comes with one either.

and then I tried to plug in the power supply for the actual LEDs on the fans into the front panel header, as that's where they appeared to go (I know it was pretty stupid).

You lost me here. What are you talking about when you say you "tried to plug in the PS for the actuall LEDs on the fans in the fph"? What do you mean plug in the ps for the led's?

Your not plugging things in with the psu plugged in and on are you?

eos01

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

The Case : https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/MIDI+Tower/Coolermaster+Storm+Scout+Gaming+Chassis+?productId=40813

The PSU: https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/650W+or+less/500W+Coolermaster+Elite+Power+ATX2.3+Power+Supply+-+OEM+?productId=44244

Sorry if i sound a bit vague.

The case has two optional spaces for fans on the see through lid. I bought two LED fans to go on there. Each fan has two power connections, one for the fan, one for the LED.
I plugged in the power for the fans in the right place; it was easy to see where they went on the mobo ('sys fan' or something like that was what it said next to the socket on the mobo) and everything was working.

Then, not knowing where to put in the LED power 2 pin connectors, I put them in the front panel header, because they fit in there and it seemed the most logical place as I could see the polarity because of the positive signs on the FPH.

(I'm doing all this with the power off and disconnected, I'm not that stupid).
So I've plugged everything in, the LEDs into the FPH, and put the power in and turn it on.
Everything flashes on for a second, then i hear a click or something and it refuses to turn on again no matter what I do.

My conclusion is that the motherboard is fried, so i'm sending it back to the manufacturer.

I agree, I've never seen a led fan that had two power connectors. Most of the time the led's are powered by the same molex connector that powers the fan.

That psu is oem only. It's very inneficient and I doubt it puts out an actual 500w. Your really pushing it with that.