Computer shuts down mid game.

iantodd71

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Hi all,
I've just fitted a new Graphics card, my psu has one 6 pin pcie and used one twin molex to 6 pin adapter. My question is could it be the psu isn't a certified unit thats causing it to shut down, after i leave the pc turned off for a couple of minutes it reboots fine.

NZXT Tempest evo case
NZXT Sentry LX Controller
WIN Power plus 750w psu
asrock 890gx extreme 3 mobo
PhenomII x4 955 oc @ 4.0ghz cpu
coolit eco with 2 fans push pull config
8gb kingston hyper-x 1600mhz ram
OCZ Vertex II 60gb ssd
1tb Hitatchi hdd
500gb Samsung hdd
Samsung dvd rewriter
HIS 6870 iceqX turbo (new)

Many thanks in advance

RussK1

Splendid

That power supply is a very bad idea... if the machine is just shutting down I'm 99% sure it's the psu.

...worst case scenario here - your system under load probably uses a little over 500w. While that psu states 750w I highly doubt it outputs that (probably half that) from Google I was able to ascertain that it claims 30a on the 12v rail (which is okay) and then again I highly doubt it can achieve that.

I don't know how many times I've informed people, before they go plopping parts into their machines make sure to have ample power. A power supply is the single most important part in a computer. In reality, it's the equivalent to a cars battery. You don't want to be in the middle of nowhere, up to 3 feet of snow and your car won't start because you went to Walmart to buy a cheap battery to save a few bucks.

What's your budget like and maybe I can recommend a few for you...

a few read's for you:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-review,2916.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

iantodd71

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks for the reply, was thinking about upgrading to a corsair hx650 if that would be suitable, what do you suggets my budget is £100.Any advice willingly taken onboard.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
If it's the PSU, I'd not recommend turning your machine back on until you replace it. A bad PSU can kill everything attached to it if you're having a really bad day, so just be careful. You can get a decent 750W PSU for under £100. XFX, Corsair, Be Quiet!, Enermax...just have a look around. As a ball-park, expect to pay about £75 for it, although that can vary a bit. Feel free to have a look and post any you want to ask about here.

Incidentally, I'd also check your CPU temps as it's another item which can cause your PC to shutdown unexpectedly if it overheats.

RussK1

Splendid

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139035&Tpk=AX650

~$159 is around £100 right? If so this PSU is sweet and it's true, fully modular and 80+ Gold.

...or the HX 650 is fine... I have the HX1050 and I'm happy with it... I've put it over it's "peak" and it was fine. Although, I still wish I would've spent an extra $50 on the AX1200. That thing is sweet!

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-8190.html

Either way, I'm a Corsair guy so you won't get an argument out of me. They are both good...

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
this is either a PSU or even a bad MoBo. does this shut down during games, or just during random use? if so, the mobo could be bad as well, not soley. While hte gpu is definately way too much for your current psu to handle, 1 problem may not have only 1 bad component. MoBo went bad in my old rig, and it would run from 5 minutes, to anywhere near 20 minutes, then shut down. Something to think about after you replace your PSU if you continue to have problems.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
the AX series is nice, but you could probably get an HX850 for the same price, and silver to gold is not a huge difference. I run an HX750 in my system, and i tell you what, its the best PSU i've ever bought.

iantodd71

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
thanks for your help guys, im gonna look into getting a hx650 should be enough grunt for my system shouldnt it? once again thanks for your help.

RussK1

Splendid

True... either way they're all nice. While the efficiency doesn't effect the actual performance per se, the HX series is only partly modular while the AX is fully modular... but if someones picky like me, I went with the HX series because it's blue (farcical I know). I still kick myself in the ass for not getting the AX though because it was in my budget... my girlfriend also pushed the HX on me because she's a penny saver. Women!!

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
haha, smart woman! yeah, performance wise, there isn't really a difference. And, fully modular isnt a big deal unless you get a bad 24-pin or 8-pin cable, cuz they are the only 2 connected i believe, maybe the 2 GPU cables are too...i forget. But, point being, fully modular really isnt a big deal for most, especially when you can get a huge power boost with the HX series for the same amount of coin.

RussK1

Splendid

So we agree that Corsair was the way to go?

GIFcolbert7.gif

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
100%. For what he needs. Only other thing i saw was an Antec 900W, but its 4 rails, which i am not a fan of. also, i have no personal experience with the product.

Other comments, the 6870 compared to nVidia chips is still considered a mid-ranged vid card, so if you are REALLY REALLY TIGHT on money, the 750 Earthwatts psu from Antec would suffice until you were able to save for a good corsair...corsair...umm, yeah.