GBA Hasbro/Atari Monopoly AI is not good

Gunny

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004

Here is my experience with the GBA Hasbro/Atari Monopoly 4-languages
Europe version that came out last december 2004.

I started a Standard gamein English. One human, one computer player at
best level (Tycoon). All game options left to default setting. OK, I
lied, I turned off the music. ;)

AI is not good:
1. The computer lands on a street that nobody owns and that he needs to
get a full set. He has plenty of money. What does he do? He does not buy
so it is sold in auction (to me because I pay whatever to avoid the AI
having a full set.)

2. AI buys himself out of jail even when the situation is not good. One
of my tactics is to stay in jail as long as possible when the situation
out there is not good, computer does not seem to share this idea.

AI cheats:
3. When I have not much money, the AI does not buy new streets but puts
them in auction to buy this at less than the original price (always one
bet above my complete wallet), since I have no way to go to the Manager
to get more money (e.g. by mortgaging properties) during the betting.

4. Offers lousy properties such as a train station or water works in
return for a missing street to get a full set. See also remark 9.

Other bad things in the game:
2. AI goes to the Manager before every dice roll and does not seem to do
anything there. This makes the game much slower.

6. When you don't have enough money to pay, you don't see how much (more)
you need. So you just sell houses or mortgage properties until the Pay
option is accepted.

7. It should be possible to turn off the animations to increase the
speed.

8. Your third (and last) turn in jail there should be no option to pay
the fine since you are released even if you don't throw double.

9. When you receive an offer you cannot check the board, you have to know
by heart who needs what.

The number of times the AI lands just before or after your hotel you
start doubting if even the dice throwing goes randomly. But this I cannot
prove of course.
BTW, even with all these problems I was able to win my first game in many
years against an best level AI opponent: although I was almost bankrupt
at some point I fortunately had a blocking minority of all colours and 2
full collections myself so after several hours my 6 hotels killed him.
From a score of 100-3.000 I returned to 10.000-700 at the end.

--
Best Regards,
Gunny

"gunny" <gunny_NO@SPAM_yucom.be> wrote in message
> Here is my experience with the GBA Hasbro/Atari Monopoly 4-languages
> Europe version that came out last december 2004.
>
> I started a Standard gamein English. One human, one computer player at
> best level (Tycoon). All game options left to default setting. OK, I
> lied, I turned off the music. ;)
>
> AI is not good:
> 1. The computer lands on a street that nobody owns and that he needs to
> get a full set. He has plenty of money. What does he do? He does not buy
> so it is sold in auction (to me because I pay whatever to avoid the AI
> having a full set.)
>
> 2. AI buys himself out of jail even when the situation is not good. One
> of my tactics is to stay in jail as long as possible when the situation
> out there is not good, computer does not seem to share this idea.
>
> AI cheats:
> 3. When I have not much money, the AI does not buy new streets but puts
> them in auction to buy this at less than the original price (always one
> bet above my complete wallet), since I have no way to go to the Manager
> to get more money (e.g. by mortgaging properties) during the betting.
>
> 4. Offers lousy properties such as a train station or water works in
> return for a missing street to get a full set. See also remark 9.
>
> Other bad things in the game:
> 2. AI goes to the Manager before every dice roll and does not seem to do
> anything there. This makes the game much slower.
>
> 6. When you don't have enough money to pay, you don't see how much (more)
> you need. So you just sell houses or mortgage properties until the Pay
> option is accepted.
>
> 7. It should be possible to turn off the animations to increase the
> speed.
>
> 8. Your third (and last) turn in jail there should be no option to pay
> the fine since you are released even if you don't throw double.
>
> 9. When you receive an offer you cannot check the board, you have to know
> by heart who needs what.
>
> The number of times the AI lands just before or after your hotel you
> start doubting if even the dice throwing goes randomly. But this I cannot
> prove of course.
> BTW, even with all these problems I was able to win my first game in many
> years against an best level AI opponent: although I was almost bankrupt
> at some point I fortunately had a blocking minority of all colours and 2
> full collections myself so after several hours my 6 hotels killed him.
> From a score of 100-3.000 I returned to 10.000-700 at the end.
>

> --
> Best Regards,
> Gunny

Agreed.

Re point 8, there should indeed be no option as $50 should automatically be
deducted from your account on the commencement of your 3rd turn and
subsequent exit from jail.

The whole game feels rushed. A decent monopoly game with tight AI using
known strategies would find a welcome place in my collection