EVGA GTX 850 1-5 sec freezing

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I'm experiencing freezing every 20 seconds or so. The pauses last anywhere from 1 to 5 sec long.

Playing Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source

Please let me know what information I need to provide to help access my problem. Thanks!

With EVGA Precision I'm showing the max temp to be at 69*C
I'm Idling at 60*C These temps seems fairly high to me. Honestly I have no idea what the issue is. Here are my thoughts.
My EVGA is Hot and needs to be RMA.
My power supply is not enough.

EVGA-58-Degrees.png

My card is not OC'ed
Core clock 772
Shader clock 1544
Memory clock 2004

Here is my system specs:
i7-2600k
Corsair H60
ASUS P8P67 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 580
16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1866
Corsair 850HX 80 Plus Silver Power Supply
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SATA III
1TB Samsung F3 7.2k rpm
WD 500G 10k rpm
HAF 932 Advanced Case
LG Blu-ray Burner

ASUS VE278Q Black 27"
dual screen with my older
Dell 22'' E228WFP

Since you're experiencing problems,do a clean install of the GPU drivers,here's how
1)Download and install driver sweeper(From guru3d.com)
2)Uninstall the current drivers and reboot(to safe mode)
3)In safe mode,open driver sweeper>click on Nvidia>Clean and reboot normally to windows
4)Download and install the latest GPU driver

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Not yet. When I was uninstalling the drivers about 25% in the comp went into sleep mode and I had to restart.

I can test it in my older system but uninstalling the drivers will be a pain /sadface

What method do you suggest?

Idle temps with duel monitors is a lot higher than with a single monitor. The reason is that the card cannot use normal idle clocks without causing one of the screens to flicker. As a result, the card will usually use full memory clocks and maybe half GPU clocks, rather than dropping to extremely low settings.

The idle temps are normal for your situation. The freezing may not be a video card issue at all, do you have a spare video card you can test? See if your system is freezing with another card, it may be something else entirely.

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Ok here is my cards idle with just my 27'' Asus.
sitting at around 37-39C

So it has gone down nearly 20C in Idle.
that right there shows promise already.

Played TF2 for about 2 minutes and froze at about 5 seconds in and then it continued to freeze every 20 seconds.

Im starting to feel like this problem could be a number of things now. Motherboard, Memory. My asus p8p67 pro does the double post. This could be a reason, but not likely as Ive read alot of people experience this with the sandy bridge. I could easily test the memory, 1 at a time, but my Mobo has a MEM Check and everything was OK!

Now I am going to put my older Radeon in the case.
Will I need to uninstall the Nvidia drivers if I put the Radeon in?

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I have moved my Asus Radeon 4850 into my new computer.
I have noticed a slight glitch here and there. but nothing close to the same level as when I had my 580 in there.
I'm going to put my 580 into my old case and try some testing.

Only thing is that it barely fits in my old case, a mid tower.

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Put the 580 in my old comp. Idled at 44C, but its a mid case.
Played TF2 flawless, no glitches. Card went to about 55C

I do notice a slight blur on my Dell 22'' desktop icons with the 580 where as with the 4850 its crisp. I'm not sure what would be causing that. When I put my card back into my new comp I'll see how the 580 effects my asus 27''

Ok so I guess my EVGA is running well. I experience slight freezes with the radeon 4850 in my new system. So now I'm starting to wonder if my memory is playing a part in this. I've got 4 sticks. I'll play with 2 in the A and B slots and see how the freezing is.

I am running memtest 86 all night. It ran through 1st time with no errors.

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Memtest went through 6 passes over night. No errors found.

I noticed that when I typed in the f ou eldbox my screen would freeze and my text jump ahead after it had froze. So it now seems more than just my gpu which I originally thought.

Could be my mobo I guess

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
works in the 2nd slot. I'm still getting the freezing. even in the lesser graphic demanding games. However, no idea why but since ive been changing out the cards and installing and reinstalling the drivers the card is not freezing as frequent as it did before. it sued to be every 20-30 seconds, now its 1-4 minutes.

So I guess it can be summed up that it would be my mobo?

What sort of keyboard, mouse and/or left handed controllers do you use? There are cases that some of these gaming peripherals can draw more power than your USB hub can support causing them to power down and be reinstalled by windows, resulting in 5 second pauses.

You might try stripping down your peripherals to a bare minimum and see if anything changes.

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
have my hp printer hooked up to the front 3.0 usb
logitech G5 mouse and Saitek Eclipse keyboard hooked up to the back 3.0s
All my peripherals are the same from my old system which I used for 4 years.