Upgrading intel pentium 4 HT...how much ram and windows 7??

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

depending on model really, if his p4 is precot or later then it shoulde have the x86-64 instruction set. but to be honest instead of getting new ram you may as well get a new mobo, a conroe and use your ram with maybe another stick for quite cheap.

Most of the Intel® Pentium® 4 processors are 32bit only. Only late in the product of Intel Pentium 4 processors in socket 775 did we release some 64Bit procssors. You would also need to check on the memory that your motherboard can support. To check on a set model of an Intel Pentium 4 processor you can go to ark.intel.com.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

true but the op did not mention the model number at all. it would help if he did tho

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

quite a few of them supports rdram and sdram as well but dont think you can get more than 512 per stick. ddr ram is very expensive now and even ddr2 the price is going up

markgerazzi

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I'm not sure how to find the model number, I don't see any ont he actual tower, and I don't know if it is in Device Manager.

ALso this computer is just for around the house for my mom, I am buying the 3930k with x79 mobo around december.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

Even if his cpu is 64-bit doesn't mean it's best for him to install 64-bit Windows. Trust me, I just recently tried it and it's best to go 32-bit OS for older hardware. His other components most likely do not have drivers for it.

It should under main board, although i cant confirm if it tells correctly or not (been with laptops for far to long, need to get back in with a working desktop.)

mainboard.png

If it doesn't, open up the side panel of the computer case and look around. There should be some kind of text that should signify what it is. If you cant find it, take a picture of the motherboard (either high quality resolution or multiple close shots of different section of the MB) and upload them to a site such as photobucket so we can see what were dealing with.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I'm using as I type a northwood p4 with 3GB CAS 2 DDR 400 RAM. I've been using this thing for the past 8 years. Been running Win7 32bit for over a year now. Works like a charm, you just need to be careful to keep the OS running clean, no unneccessary background services/programs.

My P4 is socket 478, so in order to upgrade the CPU, I would have had to upgrade the more: mobo, IDE hard drives, AGP video card, DDR memory all become obsolete after socket 478. This is the reason i still use this old CPU.

You on the other hand are already on socket 775. You have no excuses, you can keep all your other parts and upgrade to a Core 2 duo/quad.