Is my psu up to the task?

KDK

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Yeah I know its unbranded and is probably bad, but I thought Novatech are a reputable seller.

However I am on a very tight budget, I just want to know if from the specs shown on the ebay page whether it looks like it could handle a graphics card like the ones I mentioned.

I am currently running a 9800 GT with no problem if that helps.

KDK

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion, but forgot to say I live in the UK.

I guess I'll just have to save up for a while, but if I can run a 9800 GT with no problems with my current psu, can it be likely it will handle a card like the radeon hd 6850?

i had a winpower psu in my old amd setup. it went after 2 years... same model 650w... luckily for my m8 who has it now it didnt take the rest of the system with it...
the reason for the fail was the fan on the psu. i had to replace it after 18 months, with a new 1 but that only lasted about 6 months b4 something from inside the psu broke off a fin. im guessing a cap or something fell off the pcb into the fan causing the blade to become damaged and lock up.

would i buy 1? no. there badly made and cheap... spend x2 the money and get a much more efficient 1 that will protect your system rather than risk it every time you hit the power button.

also you see that OVP fuse integrated? thats all the OVP is a fuse... which means potentially some very high amperages can pass over it in a power spike b4 it pops with nothing behind it to take care of the actual power spike that will run through your system. good psu's will have either a cap or a circuit that redirects the excess current.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
you can get a gaming or builder series from Corsair (right up there with seasonic in quality) for around $50/26e, and it would be a much safer buy. just saying, take advice given if you ask for it. winpower is a no go. Call me/us psu snobs, but thats like a guy going in for a heart transplant and he has his options...would you want the heart from the guy who drank and smoked his whole life eating at McD's? or the Triatholon champion that took care of himself his whole life. If i had the choice, it wouldn't really be a choice.

TRENDING THREADS