What do you think

What do you think of the new Cingular family plan rates that went into
effect today?

bamp
18 answers Last reply
More about what think

    "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
    > What do you think of the new Cingular family plan rates that went into
    > effect today?
    >
    > bamp

    Expensive. The 500 minute plan is USELESS for a family plan. That means
    that family plans start at $80/month for two lines only (more expensive if
    you have more than two lines). Oh, and the included minutes have gone down.
    You used to get 1100 minutes for that $80/month. The 1500 minutes for $100
    doesn't look too bad. It would be a good deal if you only had three phone
    lines and used exactly ~1400 or so anytime minutes per month. But then the
    plans go up to $150/month or more as -starting- prices. Yikes. -Dave

    Ted B. wrote:

    > Expensive. The 500 minute plan is USELESS for a family plan. That means
    > that family plans start at $80/month for two lines only (more expensive if
    > you have more than two lines). Oh, and the included minutes have gone down.
    > You used to get 1100 minutes for that $80/month. The 1500 minutes for $100
    > doesn't look too bad. It would be a good deal if you only had three phone
    > lines and used exactly ~1400 or so anytime minutes per month. But then the
    > plans go up to $150/month or more as -starting- prices. Yikes. -Dave

    Wow!!

    I can sit all day on my home phone and talk and still pay only the base
    amount. They have sold the cell phone like they did cable TV, and have
    done an excellent job. Heck 500 minutes is 8.33 hours or over a 1/4
    hour per day, heck I doubt I would or ever have spent that much time on
    the phone and any month! Much less a year! Of course if it is for
    business that would be another matter

    Lee

    I am a business user, and was actually thinking of changing to the 600
    minute plan. I'll probably just keep my 900 minute plan, or go down to
    the 450 minute plan and try to stay within that.

    Do any of you think that the $39.99 plan is the next thing to be
    eliminated? Seems like the most prudent thing to do is hold on to a
    plan as long as possible.

    > Wow!!
    >
    > I can sit all day on my home phone and talk and still pay only the base
    > amount. They have sold the cell phone like they did cable TV, and have
    > done an excellent job. Heck 500 minutes is 8.33 hours or over a 1/4
    > hour per day, heck I doubt I would or ever have spent that much time on
    > the phone and any month! Much less a year! Of course if it is for
    > business that would be another matter
    >
    > Lee

    It depends on a lot of things. Many users now, especially younger ones, only have
    a wireless phone. That means no wireline to compensate for additional local calls
    during peak periods. Of course, if a user can't control his usage, he shouldn't
    have a wireless phone in the first place.

    TH

    I think you are misinterpreting the 500 minute plan. The base rate of
    $59.99 is for TWO phones. In that example it is actually better than
    before. Pre 6/1 a 450 National plane of $39.99 could have extra lines added
    for $19.99 each for a total of $59.98 for 450 minutes for two lines. The
    new plan is the same cost but gives you 50 minutes more and additional lines
    can be added for $14.99 rather than $19.99.

    Fred

    "Bob" <shmget@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I am a business user, and was actually thinking of changing to the 600
    > minute plan. I'll probably just keep my 900 minute plan, or go down to
    > the 450 minute plan and try to stay within that.
    >
    > Do any of you think that the $39.99 plan is the next thing to be
    > eliminated? Seems like the most prudent thing to do is hold on to a
    > plan as long as possible.

    WHAT 600 minute plan? WHAT 450 minute plan? They start at 500 and then
    jump straight to 1000. There used to be a 750/800 plan, but that's been
    eliminated. -Dave

    "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I think you are misinterpreting the 500 minute plan. The base rate of
    > $59.99 is for TWO phones. In that example it is actually better than
    > before. Pre 6/1 a 450 National plane of $39.99 could have extra lines
    > added
    > for $19.99 each for a total of $59.98 for 450 minutes for two lines. The
    > new plan is the same cost but gives you 50 minutes more and additional
    > lines
    > can be added for $14.99 rather than $19.99.
    >
    > Fred

    Well yes, it's cheaper in that sense. The problem is, 500 minutes is FAR
    too few minutes to be used as "shared" minutes. The 500 level shouldn't
    even be offered in the family plan. IMHO -Dave

    > Wow!!
    >
    > I can sit all day on my home phone and talk and still pay only the base
    > amount. They have sold the cell phone like they did cable TV, and have
    > done an excellent job. Heck 500 minutes is 8.33 hours or over a 1/4 hour
    > per day, heck I doubt I would or ever have spent that much time on the
    > phone and any month! Much less a year! Of course if it is for business
    > that would be another matter
    >
    > Lee

    In our area, land-line phone service starts at $40 per month (much of it
    bullshit fees and taxes). That doesn't include long-distance. Our total
    telephone costs used to be well over two hundred dollars per month. By
    ditching the land-line and upgrading to a better cell plan, we are saving
    50% or more in total telephone charges. Our CELL phone bill is more
    expensive now, but it is the ONLY phone bill we have. That's really nice.
    :)

    But so many people seem to be addicted to the land-line. I don't get it
    myself. I mean, I had a land-line and two cell phones for years. Then one
    day I "woke up" and realized that the vast majority of our family's
    telephone calls were being made with cellular handsets, and that the rest of
    the phone calls were racking up long-distance charges. That made NO SENSE
    AT ALL, financially speaking.

    We could have gone with some kind of VOIP service on our cable modem. But
    then, the cable modem is about as portable as the land-line phone. It's
    nice to be able to have our HOME phone with us when we're not at
    ome. -Dave

    Our 3 phone family plan has 800 minutes, but our use even without the
    mobile to mobile free would fall under the 500 minutes (under 400
    actually). I guess some people just talk too much. hihi
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Our 3 phone family plan has 800 minutes, but our use even without the
    > mobile to mobile free would fall under the 500 minutes (under 400
    > actually). I guess some people just talk too much. hihi

    What, you don't have any women in your family? :) -Dave (ducking and
    running for cover, ha ha )
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    My land line bill is $16. But I have to keep it for the DSL. My
    wireless bill is $110 for three phones and that includes 50 minutes of
    LD on my home phone. But I hardly ever use my home phone for long
    distance.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    That may be true in your case but among those sharing 2 phones it is by far
    the most popular choice.

    > "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I think you are misinterpreting the 500 minute plan. The base rate of
    > > $59.99 is for TWO phones. In that example it is actually better than
    > > before. Pre 6/1 a 450 National plane of $39.99 could have extra lines
    > > added
    > > for $19.99 each for a total of $59.98 for 450 minutes for two lines.
    The
    > > new plan is the same cost but gives you 50 minutes more and additional
    > > lines
    > > can be added for $14.99 rather than $19.99.
    > >
    > > Fred
    >
    > Well yes, it's cheaper in that sense. The problem is, 500 minutes is FAR
    > too few minutes to be used as "shared" minutes. The 500 level shouldn't
    > even be offered in the family plan. IMHO -Dave

  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    You have to look at the per minute cost of the old vs. the new. My old
    850 minute plan w/three phones ($60 + 2 @ $10) costs me 0.094 cents a
    minute. I cannot get a plan anywhere near that now. The $60 plan w/two
    phones, + the extra phone would cost me $75 for 500 minutes, a whooping 0.15
    cents a minute, for 250 minutes LESS. Even if I went to the $80 plan +$15
    for the third phone I would be paying 0.095 per minute for 1,000 minutes. I
    don't need 1,000 minutes. Looks like I will be holding on to my current plan
    for a LONG time.

    I don't pay much attention to what other carriers are doing, but I
    think Cingular is shooting themselves in the foot big time, and I think
    giving prospective and current customers more reasons to look at other
    carriers

    --
    MICHAEL J. MacMAHON
    Captain (ret.) KCPD

    Remember, Golf is not a matter of Life or Death;
    it is MUCH more important than that.

    NOTE: All outgoing mail is scanned by McAfee Virus Scan for your safety.
    "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I think you are misinterpreting the 500 minute plan. The base rate of
    > $59.99 is for TWO phones. In that example it is actually better than
    > before. Pre 6/1 a 450 National plane of $39.99 could have extra lines
    added
    > for $19.99 each for a total of $59.98 for 450 minutes for two lines. The
    > new plan is the same cost but gives you 50 minutes more and additional
    lines
    > can be added for $14.99 rather than $19.99.
    >
    > Fred
    >
    > "Ted B." <noway@nohow.not.ever> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
    > > > What do you think of the new Cingular family plan rates that went into
    > > > effect today?
    > > >
    > > > bamp
    > >
    > > Expensive. The 500 minute plan is USELESS for a family plan. That
    means
    > > that family plans start at $80/month for two lines only (more expensive
    if
    > > you have more than two lines). Oh, and the included minutes have gone
    > down.
    > > You used to get 1100 minutes for that $80/month. The 1500 minutes for
    > $100
    > > doesn't look too bad. It would be a good deal if you only had three
    phone
    > > lines and used exactly ~1400 or so anytime minutes per month. But then
    > the
    > > plans go up to $150/month or more as -starting- prices. Yikes. -Dave

  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article
    <456oe.281889$cg1.125521@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    "Michael MacMahon" <maccop@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > I don't pay much attention to what other carriers are doing, but I
    > think Cingular is shooting themselves in the foot big time, and I think
    > giving prospective and current customers more reasons to look at other
    > carriers

    Verizon's doing very well with their plans, AND I do believe--as a
    Cingular customer--that their coverage is better.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    The three phones are for me, my Wife and my teenage Daughter.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    bamp wrote:
    > What do you think of the new Cingular family plan rates that went into
    > effect today?
    >
    > bamp

    Wow, is it expensive, wow.

    I would make me think twice about going with cingular.

    Zorch

    Chip
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    bamp Wrote:
    > What do you think of the new Cingular family plan rates that went into
    > effect today?
    >
    > bamp

    When I first saw the new plans, I hated them. But after reviewing them
    more and learning more about them, I think they are better especially
    the family talk plans. These changes will make Cingular even more
    competitive with Verizon which right now is their only competition.

    --
    scott14661
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Hi:

    We signed up 12/24/04 for 4 lines - family plan. I bumped up the plan to
    the 1,500 minute per month and added 7pm nights instead of 9pm. I also
    have
    text messaging for the kids $9.99 per month for 1,000 messages. Total
    $138 per month after corporate discount.

    I then cancelled the land line to save $50 per month.

    It took some adjusting but it is working out fine. We have accumulated
    1300
    rollover minutes which I am sure will be eaten alive in July when school
    is
    out. BUT, I got the text messaging features and they plan on using it
    very
    often.

    So, except for July and August, when the kids are home, we made out well.
    Essentially only costing me $88 per month more for the terrific
    convenience.

    Bob

    "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
    > What do you think of the new Cingular family plan rates that went into
    > effect today?
    >
    > bamp

    It has removed 4039 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Cingular Internet Service Providers