Battery won't charge

Last response: in Video Games
March 1, 2005 2:04:32 PM

Back in June 2004, TP wrote:
"I have a GB-SP. The battery will not take a charge anymore. I have
replaced the battery it with a new one. Swapped battery with a second
GB-SP. When you plug the charger in, the red light comes on, then
goes off. The charger works with the second unit. Any suggestions on
fixing this problem. I'm willing to open it up and do some checking.
Anyone have suggestions or have seen this problem before?"

I don't know if anyone answered him privately, but there was no answer
posted to the newsgroup.

It's now 2005 and my daughter's 2 year-old Gameboy Advance is
experiencing the same problem. We are way past the guarantee - which
is, as you know, 90 days, so there's no point in contacting the
company.

Can anyone help?

TIA

LD

More about : battery charge

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 11:51:54 AM

LD wrote:
> Back in June 2004, TP wrote:
> "I have a GB-SP. The battery will not take a charge anymore. I have
> replaced the battery it with a new one. Swapped battery with a second
> GB-SP. When you plug the charger in, the red light comes on, then
> goes off. The charger works with the second unit. Any suggestions on
> fixing this problem. I'm willing to open it up and do some checking.
> Anyone have suggestions or have seen this problem before?"
>
> I don't know if anyone answered him privately, but there was no answer
> posted to the newsgroup.
>
> It's now 2005 and my daughter's 2 year-old Gameboy Advance is
> experiencing the same problem. We are way past the guarantee - which
> is, as you know, 90 days, so there's no point in contacting the
> company.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> TIA
>
> LD
90 days, we get at least 12mths on everything
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 3:49:14 PM

"LD" <ldancausse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Back in June 2004, TP wrote:
| "I have a GB-SP. The battery will not take a charge anymore. I have
| replaced the battery it with a new one. Swapped battery with a
second
| GB-SP. When you plug the charger in, the red light comes on, then
| goes off. The charger works with the second unit. Any suggestions on
| fixing this problem. I'm willing to open it up and do some checking.
| Anyone have suggestions or have seen this problem before?"
|
| I don't know if anyone answered him privately, but there was no
answer
| posted to the newsgroup.
|
| It's now 2005 and my daughter's 2 year-old Gameboy Advance is
| experiencing the same problem. We are way past the guarantee - which
| is, as you know, 90 days, so there's no point in contacting the
| company.
|
| Can anyone help?
|
| TIA
|
| LD

Why is there no point in contacting the company? You *know* they have
no repair facilities? I'd bet they do.
March 2, 2005 4:10:02 PM

alan smith wrote:
> Why is there no point in contacting the company? You *know* they have
> no repair facilities? I'd bet they do.

I'll bet they do, too. My repair experience with out-of-warranty repair
of an original Gameboy was a good one. Living in a major metro area
(Atlanta), I was able to drop it off and pick it up, as well.
--
Old Man Noah
Anonymous

On 1 Mar 2005 11:04:32 -0800, ldancausse@hotmail.com (LD) wrote:

>It's now 2005 and my daughter's 2 year-old Gameboy Advance is
>experiencing the same problem. We are way past the guarantee - which
>is, as you know, 90 days, so there's no point in contacting the
>company.

Nintendo won't fix it for free, but they also offer pay-for-repair
services. I know you're probably trying to avoid that, but I just
thought I'd point it out as an option. You may at least want to
contact Nintendo and find out how much they would charge to fix it.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 8:31:01 AM

I did contact Nintendo. While they admitted that "normally, gameboys
should last a lot longer than 2 years", they won't do anything for us
because the warranty period had elapsed. What they suggested instead:
we could send them the defective machine and they'd try to fix it (for
$55 CDN), or we coud buy a "rebuilt" gemeboy from them for...$55. (For
info, a brand new gameboy here in Ottawa costs $85.)
I feel like I've been gypped. They sold me a lemon AND they want me
to fork out more money??? I don't think so. I would rather try and
fix the thing myself, if that's possible. That's why I came to this
ng.
So.... any ideas on how to go about it?

Once again, thank you for any help you can provide.

LD

drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<f49c21dehv218qbos87dm004oamqhb7cod@4ax.com>...

> Nintendo won't fix it for free, but they also offer pay-for-repair
> services. I know you're probably trying to avoid that, but I just
> thought I'd point it out as an option. You may at least want to
> contact Nintendo and find out how much they would charge to fix it.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:25:39 PM

If you had the skills to repair it you would have went ahead by now.

Have you even tried a battery from a different machine to see if it's a
machine fault or a battery fault?

| I did contact Nintendo. While they admitted that "normally,
gameboys
| should last a lot longer than 2 years", they won't do anything for us
| because the warranty period had elapsed. What they suggested
instead:
| we could send them the defective machine and they'd try to fix it
(for
| $55 CDN), or we coud buy a "rebuilt" gemeboy from them for...$55.
(For
| info, a brand new gameboy here in Ottawa costs $85.)
| I feel like I've been gypped. They sold me a lemon AND they want me
| to fork out more money??? I don't think so. I would rather try and
| fix the thing myself, if that's possible. That's why I came to this
| ng.
| So.... any ideas on how to go about it?
|
| Once again, thank you for any help you can provide.
|
| LD
|
| drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >
| > Nintendo won't fix it for free, but they also offer pay-for-repair
| > services. I know you're probably trying to avoid that, but I just
| > thought I'd point it out as an option. You may at least want to
| > contact Nintendo and find out how much they would charge to fix it.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:22:27 PM

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 09v5d$fmh$7@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> If you had the skills to repair it you would have went ahead by now.
>
> Have you even tried a battery from a different machine to see if it's a
> machine fault or a battery fault?

Assuming that he's having the same problem as the person that he's quoting,
then the battery from another machine isn't helping.

D.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:24:14 AM

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<d09v5d$fmh$7@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> Have you even tried a battery from a different machine to see if it's a
> machine fault or a battery fault?

Yes. I've also checked the battery charger. The problem is with the
gameboy itself.

LD
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:39:32 PM

> 90 days, we get at least 12mths on everything
Mm. Not sure that is 100% (I assume you are saying 12 months as you are UK
based?)

I bought a GameBoy Advance SP+ (blue) in April 2003 (back then it cost me
£120), I bought no specific games for it at all, and just used my normal
Gameboy color games, and originals. I played them in total for about 2 days
in total, then the GBASP+ got put on a shelf near my bedside table, and was
unused until Jan/Feb this year (2005).

I finally got around to buying a new GBASP+ game in Jan, and within 4 days,
it started to give me screeen corruption on any cartridge I put in, and gave
me major problems even playing games, I thought as you 12months and it was
out of warranty, so I checked the repair costs and was told it would cost
about £23 approx, so I gave up and bought a new one (a Tribal GBASP+). I had
already contacted Nintendo UK, and they told me it has 2yr warranty (approx)
and I send it to them and can prove it was bought in the last 2 years, I
might be able to get it done under warranty, if not then it would cost the
£23 - if that was the case I wouldnt bother.

I managed to find my original catalogue receipt (mail order Great Universal
statement with the item listed). and send it to them as Special delivery
(about £5), it was gone for about 2 weeks, I used my Tribal and it was fine,
then after 2 weeks later, the GBASP+ arrived back, the delivery note said
"defective screen/contacts - replaced unit with new".
They had sent me a brand new GBASP+ in blue, I know it was new as it looks
brand spanking new and my old one had a minor scratch on the cover...

Check with them first!

Chris
!