prob with sb-pci 128

G

Hi folks.

I've got a weird problem (aka never happened for anyone I know before and exc...)
The soundcard makes strange noises when playing mpegs, some games. I know it's not the card because it works on another computer, it's not the os because it sounds like this on both win2k & win98se. I can't see any conflicts in the os, everythings normal.

Does anyone have the solution?

Regards
Halldor

G

heh, already checked, both with speakers and headphones. It's in the comp :)

Regards
Halldor

G

Then maybe some not compatability things with your mobo?
But I think there are some conflicts.

G

I agree with you that the conflict is with the motherboard, but where/what is causing it that's the question.
I tryed another soundcard and it barfed too (sb-pci 64)
Allready tryed another slot, didn't work, so I'm thinking it must be the bios [-peep-] me up.

Regards
Halldor

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It could just be the internal electronic noise inside of your pc that is making the static. I know that old ISA cards are especially prone to this problem as computers get more and more complex, thus generating more noise. PCI cards are supposed to be less prone to this, but that doesn't mean all PCI sound cards are immune to it.

So the problem may not be the sound card at all, but instead it might just be the computer as a whole.

G

resonable suggestion, thanks. Wondering how I can avoid static... I'll just have to dig a litle deeper.

Regards
Halldor

G

got the latest drivers?
got dx6 or 7 loaded?
all settings enabled in add new programs windows setup,multimedia sound.
make sure ms sound codecs for sound compression are turned on/checked. if in doubt check everthing related to sound in multimedia and let it all load from your windows cd if it wasn't checked before. sound compression turned out to be a key factor in tr4 because all the game sounds use compressed audio formats. mp3 is a form of compression?
are there any exclamation marks in device manager?
are there patches for the games and a sb 128.
tombraider 4 only has one patch and it;s to enable playing the game with sb pci 128.
i had a problem with sblive and tombraider in an older socket seven motherboard with via mpv2 chipset. had to replace the card with a mx300. the same card plays fine in my motherboard with ali chipset.
the sb didn't like the other chipset.