Sign in with
Your question

Now that bulldozer is out, can we expect a thuban price drop?

Last response: in CPUs
October 14, 2011 6:27:15 PM

i've got an AM3 system i'm quite happy with, i've no need to buy a new bulldozer or sandybridge system.
but i've been considering upgrading to a 1090t or 1100t CPU and patiently waiting for the bulldozer release hoping it would push thuban prices down.

i realize i'm comparing apples to oranges here, but hear me out: bulldozer's 3.3ghz 6-core (the fx-6100) is $195, but thuban's 'comparable' 3.3ghz 6-core (the 1100t) is still at $190 (newegg.ca prices).
if at all, by how much and how soon can we expect to see a price drop on current AM3 processors?
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2011 6:56:39 PM

the new BD don't seem to be an upgrade over the phenom II CPUs so I don't see a huge demand for them, often meaning current prices will remain the same.
m
l
October 14, 2011 7:06:30 PM

No. Thuban and every 45nm chip has reached last order status so if anything prices may go up slightly.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2011 1:49:52 AM

BaronMatrix said:
No. Thuban and every 45nm chip has reached last order status so if anything prices may go up slightly.

didn't know that and wouldn't have expected it either, does AMD have a history of dropping older sockets so soon after releasing new ones?

thanks for the replies. maybe i'll pick one up tomorrow.
m
l
October 15, 2011 2:24:23 AM

Branden said:
didn't know that and wouldn't have expected it either, does AMD have a history of dropping older sockets so soon after releasing new ones?

thanks for the replies. maybe i'll pick one up tomorrow.

They are leaving mainstream CPUs for APUs. Supposedly Llano will be 60%, Brazos will be 20% and FX will be 20% of total shipments.
m
l
!