Sign in with
Your question

No clue what an appropriate mobo would be?!

Last response: in Motherboards
July 8, 2012 9:05:53 PM

I'm working on the specs for my first PC build. I'm looking to build a general productivity PC that supports upgradeability ...

> start with a Celeron G530 or Pentium G620 CPU but allow for an I5 Ivy Bridge CPU in a year or three ... OC is not a must have but it seems like good OC boards are also better quality

> use integrated graphics on the CPU (first HD Graphics and then HD 4000 Graphics) ... maybe after the CPU upgrade I do a single GPU (again for performance but no dual/quad GPU) in year four/five

> initially 4GB ram with another 4GB if it would improve performance at some point

> I'm planning on a 23" - 24" screen and I would want to run at high resolution (HD at least) so I'm after the HDMI and/or DVI connections

> thinking maybe SSD for OS (maybe programs) and a HD for the rest ... so two SATA3 connections

> not looking for Wi-Fi, do need a Ethernet connection

After looking at builds and suggestions here I'm thinking a ASUS or Gigabyte mobo as they appear to be the top brands and I don't want to replace this for the 7+ years I hope to run this PC. I'm not sure if there is agreement that an ASRock mobo is a lesser quality tier one board or a tier two board with MSI (others?). I'm looking for a quality part that lasts but not for the most expensive parts available.

Are there a few options that would work weel for what I'm after that people have had success with?

JimR

More about : clue mobo

a c 329 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 10:18:18 PM

Well start with your budget?

Where are u buying? Link to the store....

What u already have?

What u need to buy and total budget. Include all items needed, even mouse or LCD : )
m
l
July 9, 2012 12:30:07 AM

nikorr said:
Well start with your budget?

Where are u buying? Link to the store....

What u already have?

What u need to buy and total budget. Include all items needed, even mouse or LCD : )

I'm not focused on a budget so much as getting the right board (or more generally the right parts). It looks like boards start at about $100 and go way up from there. I'm thinking closer to $100 after any rebate ... maybe $150 if needed, $200 seems like way more than I would need to spend. In the end I'm replacing everything but the mobo seems like the place to start after the CPU (an 1155 socket of some sort).

In a month I will be by a MicroCenter, otherwise I'm good with online like newegg, amazon, ncix.

At this point it is just board, the drives, psu, case are tbd ... 4GB of the right ram for the board.

Maybe to help me help myself ... is a new ASRock board going to be close in quality to ASUS and Gigabyte (on a scale of 1-10 say ASUS/Gigabyte are 10 and ASRock is a 8+) or is there a significant difference between the two top brands and the rest? I'm assuming Intel boards are the "best" quality but that also seems like more than I need.

After I narrow things to a brand or two is it just a matter of choosing the board that has the connections/slots I'm after?

JimR
m
l
Related resources
a c 329 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 12:57:22 AM

At $135 ASRock would offer more features.
m
l
a c 329 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 1:05:06 AM

Do not get less than 8GB RAM.
m
l
July 9, 2012 1:35:22 AM

nikorr said:
U can definitely use this one -> ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 -> ... Latest Z77...

I just build PC with this mobo and I like the BIOS, its looks like this.

Works as expected @ 4.4GHz

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/1908/ASRock%20Z77%20Extreme4%20BIOS%2001%20-%20Main_575px.png

That is a great mobo choice for the CPU. It has good power design for OC.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/Z77%20Extreme4(m).jpg

So you are telling me the ASRock brand is as good as ASUS and Gigabyte ... noting I'm not trying to build a PC that is pushing any limits. I would not want to trade price/features for quality ... I don't really want to talk to any customer service departments in this project!

Assuming that board and the memory ... can I use a Celeron G530 CPU initially without issue?

JimR
m
l
a c 329 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 1:58:38 AM

I would not build anything with poor quality.

What do u think $130 mobo is? Its budget no matter who makes it.

ASRock is #3 seller in mobo world. That can't be bad....

Celeron G530 is the poorest choice u can make.

Why would u even consider it?

Its weak CPU.
m
l
July 9, 2012 10:35:36 AM

nikorr said:
I would not build anything with poor quality.

What do u think $130 mobo is? Its budget no matter who makes it.

ASRock is #3 seller in mobo world. That can't be bad....

Celeron G530 is the poorest choice u can make.

Why would u even consider it?

Its weak CPU.

Strictly price ... with the plan being to upgrade the CPU in 1 -3 years. Right now I have a 2005 PC with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU ... so even a weak Celeron would be a big step up folks are telling me. Then I can get an IB CPU when they go on sale at/after the Haswell launch.

Or maybe all I really need is a week CPU?! What I use the PC for isn't really demanding.

On the board quality question ... if I bought a $130 Gigabyte board would I get less features but higher quality compared to the ASRock at the same price? I'm also trying to understand that when I get to the point of buying in a Microcenter and something is on sale do I swith or not.
m
l
!