Sign in with
Your question

TPD For Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
July 8, 2012 10:26:29 PM

Ok so I am still a little worried here so I came to you guys for help. Im tech savvy and I know most specifications and their function. The problem is, I don't usually go down my own path (overclocking, ect.) and I wouldn't want to ignore a message from a manufacturer. So here is the motherboard:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=e...
I know its old and I want people to know that Im not just going to upgrade my entire system just yet. So my question is, it states that the TPD is 89 watts for an upgrade, but yet I don't see that the website has been updated and I don't know if the BIOS update added support for the compatible AM2+ CPUs. Overall I just want to know if I got a Phenom II X4 95W CPU, would I have to worry or take extra precautions because the TPD only says it goes to 89W? Thanks.

More about : tpd motherboard

a c 137 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 10:49:05 PM

It might support AM2+ CPU's with a BIOS update (doubtful that you'll find one for an OEM board), but I'm almost positive that it will never support an AM3 CPU (Like a Phenom II (and certainly not a 95W CPU. That's a board limitation, not a BIOS limitation)).

There are 1 or 2 AM2 boards that I've heard of that can support AM3 CPU's, but an OEM board from HP, Dell, etc. isn't one of them.
m
l
July 8, 2012 11:30:58 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It might support AM2+ CPU's with a BIOS update (doubtful that you'll find one for an OEM board), but I'm almost positive that it will never support an AM3 CPU (Like a Phenom II (and certainly not a 95W CPU. That's a board limitation, not a BIOS limitation)).

There are 1 or 2 AM2 boards that I've heard of that can support AM3 CPU's, but an OEM board from HP, Dell, etc. isn't one of them.

No, for a little history lesson, AMD started production with the first Phenom II with an AM2+ socket and I know that they made it so AM2 and AM2+ are backwards compatible. The Phenom II I would be get would be an AM2+ not an AM3 socket version.
m
l
Related resources
a c 137 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 11:33:36 PM

TheInstinct said:
No, for a little history lesson, AMD started production with the first Phenom II with an AM2+ socket and I know that they made it so AM2 and AM2+ are backwards compatible. The Phenom II I would be get would be an AM2+ not an AM3 socket version.

Maybe so, but the one thing I'm positive on is that a 95W CPU WILL NOT work. No BIOS update can change that.
m
l
July 9, 2012 12:50:04 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Maybe so, but the one thing I'm positive on is that a 95W CPU WILL NOT work. No BIOS update can change that.

But I thought that following the TPD is not required but recommended by the manufacturer and that with BIOS updates it updates what the motherboard detects such as processors. So even if you go above the TPD by 6W, it wouldn't work or are you saying that just because the CPU I am think of replacing my Athlon 64 X2 5000+ with is a Phenom II X4 9500 that it would not work?
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 12:54:16 AM

TheInstinct said:
But I thought that following the TPD is not required but recommended by the manufacturer and that with BIOS updates it updates what the motherboard detects such as processors. So even if you go above the TPD by 6W, it wouldn't work or are you saying that just because the CPU I am think of replacing my Athlon 64 X2 5000+ with is a Phenom II X4 9500 that it would not work?

You can try it if you want (as I'm guessing the PII is relatively cheap, so it's not much of a loss if it doesn't work), but if I was a betting man, I would bet the house that it won't work. It may be recognized (although I REALLY don't think that there'll be an update for that CPU), but there'll be other issues, like not being able to get the CPU to run full speed (seen it many times).
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 1:23:21 AM

Well now I'm doubting myself a little. I just did a search for that CPU on that mobo, and I've found conflicting reports. Some that that it actually WILL work, but others say that it absolutely WON'T. I don't know what to believe, honestly.

Everything I know tells me that it shouldn't work, though. It just shouldn't.

The boards that that CPU DID work on apparently had a max TDP of 95W, but the one you linked and other reports I read had it at 89W, so it's very confusing.

I KNOW that a BIOS update can't change max TDP (totally a hardware thing), but maybe the board really IS 95W max instead of 89W.

It's worth a shot I guess, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. OEM mobo's are crazy beasts that have crazy CPU support, even with a BIOS update because you aren't really meant to be able to upgrade the CPU very far anyway and supported CPU's are almost always different between the OEM's (HP, Dell, etc.).
m
l
July 9, 2012 1:48:35 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well now I'm doubting myself a little. I just did a search for that CPU on that mobo, and I've found conflicting reports. Some that that it actually WILL work, but others say that it absolutely WON'T. I don't know what to believe, honestly.

Everything I know tells me that it shouldn't work, though. It just shouldn't.

The boards that that CPU DID work on apparently had a max TDP of 95W, but the one you linked and other reports I read had it at 89W, so it's very confusing.

I KNOW that a BIOS update can't change max TDP (totally a hardware thing), but maybe the board really IS 95W max instead of 89W.

It's worth a shot I guess, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. OEM mobo's are crazy beasts that have crazy CPU support, even with a BIOS update because you aren't really meant to be able to upgrade the CPU very far anyway and supported CPU's are almost always different between the OEM's (HP, Dell, etc.).

Yea I know what you are saying but I wasn't saying that it would bump up the TPD because I do understand that, that is completely a hardware but I was looking around this website previously and people said that "it's a attempt-at-your-own-risk type thing" just like overclocking because most of the time, overclocking voids warranties. I also saw that people said it is possible to go over the TPD but that it may make your board go quicker (as in it is completely dead). I'm not going to attempt anything as of now, but I could get a Phenom II for cheap so I was wondering. I'll wait for others to comment and see their input, but you have been a great help.
m
l
!