Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Z77 MotherBoards or ...

Last response: in Motherboards
July 8, 2012 11:15:31 PM

Hi everyone back again to bother the kind people in toms hardware and have a few questions

So as we all know that the ivy bridge is out and sandy bridge is now considered old (which i really hate due technology moving too fast) but the motherboards that support ivy bridge specifically ASUS cost too much and because i am always in a hurry i just wanna know when will the prices drop for the mobo's because i cant wait to build my gaming pc

I also wanna know what u guyies/gals would go for P67/Z68 (which are really high in prices and some are even discontinued) or the Z77 (which also have high prices)

if i go with my first choice i would go with the i7 2600k if any are left and if i go with my second choice i would go with i7 3770k

and when do u think that this mobo will drop in price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Alright thanks everyone Ohh and sry about the essay that i wrote

More about : z77 motherboards

a c 125 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 11:21:41 PM

I think the motherboards have settled into their respective price niches and are are unlikely to move for the foreseeable future. So you should base you decision on what's available today, because it will be the same price as six months from now.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 11:32:29 PM

That mobo is for small group of users. It wont budge for long time : )
Score
Related resources
July 8, 2012 11:44:33 PM

So should i just buy the mobo since its not going to go down in price anyway is that ur suggestions

and wow i7 3770k has almost identical performance as the i7 2600k maybe i might stick with the 2nd gen i7
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 11:52:29 PM

The IB has more features available. I like the wireless HDMI for decent price.

SB doesn't have it : (

I would get the latest greatest, next gen is Haswell, 1 year away.

So Z77 + IB makes sense.

But it depends on your needs. What is your primary use?
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 11:54:22 PM

Also, u can OC SB further than IB.

So the speed difference between them might be less than 10%.
Score
July 9, 2012 12:36:07 AM

my entire budget is $1500 but i think i should spend no more then $300 on a motherboard
Score
July 9, 2012 1:06:24 AM

I don't really understand the first question and this build is for gaming purposes and normal usage such as surfing the web etc.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 1:11:31 AM

Hotkiker said:
Got to agree that is a great board but price is a little to high

Yep, it cost if u want 3GPU's in triple x8 or a dual x16 : ))
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 1:13:44 AM

That level mobo is reaching the x79 level mobo.

So it would be right to check that chipset, because the cost would not be far from each system.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 1:22:51 AM

Hotkiker said:
Sry if i am suddenly going off topic here but just want to ask another question

Is ASUS still the best motherboard manufacture just wanna know because of this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What do u people think of this mobo it looks like its for gaming

Well, its decent mobo. Z68. Would work.

But check that x79 I posted. It would work nice for u too.
Score
July 9, 2012 1:24:17 AM

Nikorr i dont think i wanna buy lga 2011 wanna stay in the middle of overclocking and gaming, And sorry for not telling u guyies but i will be overclocking this gaming rig but not as high as 5.0 ghz
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 1:31:13 AM

Well, for 3-4GPU set up 2011 is ideal.
Score
July 9, 2012 1:33:53 AM

Since everyone is saying that the z77 motherboards wont go down in price even after 6 months then i might as well go with sandy bridge because i don't see any improvements in ivy bridge. I wont be using the USB 3.0 and i have heard that Pci E 2.0 is enough for new video cards such as gtx 600 and hd 7000. But if that's a false statement then my mind would change and would go with z77
Score
July 9, 2012 1:37:34 AM

nikorr said:
Well, for 3-4GPU set up 2011 is ideal.

correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the i7 3820 run hot and also uses more power
Score
July 9, 2012 1:40:03 AM

Does ASUS still make the best motherboards ? or is someone else in the led now
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 2:05:12 AM

I can agree with that ^. I place ASRock above the MSI.

But they all make decent stuff.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 2:07:50 AM

I used gigabytes till 775. But I have no complaint against them.

Now its just ASUS.

And ASRock fatality is great board too.

Or $160 MSI beats $130 ASUS, right?
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 2:13:37 AM

Hotkiker said:
correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the i7 3820 run hot and also uses more power

Yes, but IB runs hot too : )

H100 solves the problem.
Score
July 9, 2012 10:22:58 PM

so i have been researching and have found out that Evga z68 FTW is not that great but am not sure about this, people have said that the problems a have been resolved due to Evga's great support and updates. Don't know how true that is

U said people who don't go with Asus boards usually go with Evga. So are Evga boards long lasting because this build will stay with me for 5+ years so don't want to make a bad decision and hate my self for the next 5 years.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 10:27:51 PM

EVGA has great support, people said that on this forum all the time.

They make better GPU's than mobos : )

But many people have problems, when they use low quality parts.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 10:28:14 PM

I like to blame people for their share of the problems : )

That goes for myself too.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 10:30:02 PM

People don't read manuals and than they wonder why this junk is not working.

Happens all the time.
Score
July 9, 2012 10:36:14 PM

i have not really lowered the price. But just got interested in the evga board. It looks nice, has most of the features, but it loses when compared to ASUS boards oh well cant do anything about that
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 10:39:00 PM

Look, they sell plenty of those, all u see are the people complaining and that is small sample.

Most are happy with it. And lots of those early on issues are fixed by new driver or BIOS version. Try it and u'll know with in 2 weeks.

Return it if not satisfied.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 10:44:44 PM

I like the one when u place the ROM file to (I use C:/ ) your location and than through the BIOS.

Worked every time. If its new build or mobo, I update BIOS too.

Well, at least ASUS is using that.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 11:01:39 PM

For $100 that is a deal ^.
Score
July 9, 2012 11:52:12 PM

Quote:
if you wanna go that route, here:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P8Z68-DLX-PB-R&...

ASUS Digital 16 Phase Power Design
(12 -phase for CPU, 4 -phase for iGPU)
ASUS DIGI+ VRM Utility

(and I just did a thread on VRM's today too... ;)  )

I like that ok I love the price but i don't like the fact that the board is refurbished

when i first looked at the price i was like i' am buying it right now but then it came out to be refurbished :( 

but thanks
Score
July 9, 2012 11:54:24 PM

nikorr said:
Look, they sell plenty of those, all u see are the people complaining and that is small sample.

Most are happy with it. And lots of those early on issues are fixed by new driver or BIOS version. Try it and u'll know with in 2 weeks.

Return it if not satisfied.

Maybe i might just do what your saying because i can't get this motherboard out of my head it's getting annoying now.
Score

Best solution

a c 328 V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 12:23:42 AM

You know how it is.

U can purchase great ASUS $400 mobo and it can die on you. Even if it has the greatest reviews.

U might not be lucky or your luck is "adjusted by some lazy worker" that ships you mobo that was returned because of errors. Now u got it.

You just never know, all the best product have manufacture defect @ about 2%.

If its a fresh launch of the product, chances are bigger to get a faulty one, than later,

when bugs are fixed up already.

I usually check the serial #'s that are available online, as what product shipment had the problems, and what # is already fixed.

But that needs lots of research on line and forum reading : )
July 11, 2012 7:55:54 AM

Alright before we move on to my last pair of questions which will eventually help me decide on my motherboard. I must say you guyies (Nikorr, urban legend, abekl) have been really helpful and i must say thanks for helping me out so much. But just bare with me for a little more.

Alright i did this fuss over a motherboard for a couple of reasons

1) Build is going to be used for the next five years
2) I needed sli/crossfire abilities
3) I wanted good quality
4) I wanted something i would like

So after some searching i have seen that the Evga z68 ftw is a great motherboard BUT i do agree that it does have some problems. BUT i have also seen that these problems are mostly software problems and can be fixed with updates. (does anyone know if the evga z68 ftw has the nf200 chipset because i am confused some are saying it does and some are saying it doesn't)

Now the Asus Maximum V Formula is also a great motherboard. It's a z77 board with many new features and its great. But It not the best when it comes to tri sli/crossfire. But it comes with chipset water cooling preinstalled which is helpful since i will be doing water cooling in the near future.

But before choosing any motherboard i must tell u that no matter what the choice i will be using an i7 2600K processor because i don't want my new build running hot. Plus my room is small it get hot in there really fast.

Sorry if u think this is getting out of the topic but i will be doing a 3 monitor setup in the near future so that might also help in choosing the mother board.

So with everything said i would like to end my post by saying thank you for helping me some much and let me know of your opinion on which motherboard best suites me. Ohh and if you would like to give me suggestions feel free to do so.

Thanks and Sorry for writing another essay :)  what can i do i'm just good at it
Score
a c 125 V Motherboard
July 11, 2012 8:03:52 AM

Well, you've made good progress.

The z77 FTW is growing on me. It's port selection at the rear is pretty amazing, and it sounds like it'll SLI/X-Fire well.

I say go for it, and enjoy doing your build.
Score
July 21, 2012 5:56:13 AM

nikorr said:
You know how it is.

U can purchase great ASUS $400 mobo and it can die on you. Even if it has the greatest reviews.

U might not be lucky or your luck is "adjusted by some lazy worker" that ships you mobo that was returned because of errors. Now u got it.

You just never know, all the best product have manufacture defect @ about 2%.

If its a fresh launch of the product, chances are bigger to get a faulty one, than later,

when bugs are fixed up already.

I usually check the serial #'s that are available online, as what product shipment had the problems, and what # is already fixed.

But that needs lots of research on line and forum reading : )

I guess after a week of thinking i have decided to choose the Asus Maximus V Formula (have the motherboard with me)
Score
July 21, 2012 5:57:26 AM

sorry for bothering everybody soo much. Thanks to Urban Legend, Nikoor, & abeki i am finnaly out of one problem. I am looking at the motherboard right now and i feel like i have made the right choice. Thanks again everybody.
Score
July 21, 2012 5:58:02 AM

Best answer selected by Hotkiker.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 6:05:00 AM

Good luck Hotkiker!
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 10:09:13 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score