Sign in with
Your question
Solved

50% loss in internet speed, hardwired as opposed to wifi

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 1, 2011 3:16:15 PM

Hello,

So I upgraded my internet speed to 50, all stats are listed below.
There is a 50% speed reduction when going Wi-Fi via hardwire even when I run the hardwire thru the Wi-Fi router.

That seems crazy to me but what do I know. I have a Netgear 54mbps router, and the boys at NetGear tell me this 50% loss is expected.

I would expect some speed loss, but 50%. Could I buy a 100mbps router and cards for my computers and get close to the 50mbph coming into the house, or am I just basically screwed :( 

Hardwired speeds below:
Download Speed: 60110 kbps (7513.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 12193 kbps (1524.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 21 ms

Wireless Speeds below:
Download Speed: 22404 kbps (2800.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 12938 kbps (1617.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 24 ms

Best solution

Anonymous
January 2, 2011 12:01:18 PM

Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. The reason is to do with the duplex nature of wifi -- in layman's terms the claimed speed is for traffic in two directions .

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
January 2, 2011 3:34:17 PM

Also keep in mid that you might have a wireless router that is 100Mbps and your ISP is only 6Mbps download, then you can only download UP TO 6Mbps.

Here in US the max download provided by ISP is about 20-24Mbps. So even a 54Mbps wireless router will be more than enough.

The wireless speed from the router is only good if you are transferring data from one computer to another, or streaming files from computer to TV.
Related resources
January 5, 2011 11:55:24 PM

Quote:
Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. The reason is to do with the duplex nature of wifi -- in layman's terms the claimed speed is for traffic in two directions .

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

thanks so much for the info, much appreciated
January 5, 2011 11:56:35 PM

electrontau said:
Also keep in mid that you might have a wireless router that is 100Mbps and your ISP is only 6Mbps download, then you can only download UP TO 6Mbps.

Here in US the max download provided by ISP is about 20-24Mbps. So even a 54Mbps wireless router will be more than enough.

The wireless speed from the router is only good if you are transferring data from one computer to another, or streaming files from computer to TV.

thanks so much for the info, much appreciated!
January 6, 2011 2:07:50 PM

BS, all of it. Wireless download speeds should be near LAN speeds if you have a good connection. You just need a well-setup network. I've regularly pulled <30ms pings, <7ms jitter, and 30Mbps downstream from my Wireless connection.

I have a Cisco e3000 connected with a Cisco AE1000 USB adapter and regularly get these speed ratings 40 ft away from the AP.

tl;dr, your router has a configuration problem, or your computer is using power savings of some sort. WLAN does cause a drop in speed, but it shouldn't be anywhere near half.
January 16, 2011 2:15:50 PM

Best answer selected by patr.
!