I5 2500k or I7 2600k

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
October 14, 2011 8:43:31 PM

Okay question is this. I know as far as gaming wise a I5 2500k cpu cannot be beat, but most computer boutiques are pretty much phasing out that I5, and going with solid I7's. Now what I am wondering is, I will be building a desktop around my birthday,(in feb) will the I5 be phased out by then? What am I missing if I go with a I7 instead of a I5? Shouldnt the I7 have everything a I5 has plus a lil extra?

More about : 2500k 2600k

October 14, 2011 8:50:11 PM

I don't mean to state the obvious if I misunderstood what you're saying so I apologize ahead of time. But from what I understood, by "phased out" it means to me that you're under the impression that the i7 is the sucessor of the i5. They're models of a different price range that are from the same generation, so the i5 will be around when you build
m
l
October 14, 2011 8:56:36 PM

I know that the I7 is much more powerful than the I5, I have been visiting the sites (ibypower,cyberpower, ect) The I5's I have been seeing are few and far between most of them are I7. You cannot even downgrade to the I5 anymore. That is what I mean by phased out. I mean I have been reading and everyone says the I5 is it for gaming would the I7 be worse?
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2011 8:59:26 PM

Nah the i7's are better in all aspects but probably the only worry would be a price increase.

Plus, what are you doing buying a prebuilt pc :p 
m
l
October 14, 2011 9:04:29 PM

Few things that terrify me, putting too much or not enough thermal paste on the cpu, and troubleshooting if things go sour. with warranty I can send the whole thing back and they fix it for free. And i know it will work when it gets too me. I used to build comps, but I have been outta the loop for 7 years. Seems everything has changed.
m
l
October 14, 2011 9:12:04 PM

when it comes to thermal paste, less is more.
m
l
October 14, 2011 9:15:56 PM

yeah I know that. but too little is called cooked cpu. one ting i wonder is when u push heatsink down, do u wiggle it a bit to make sure the paste is spread?like twist it from side to side a bit?
m
l
!