Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new computer

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2011 2:03:36 PM

Hello.

My computer recently broke down (8 years old) and I have decided to buy a new computer. I've looked in many different shops and stores, looking for the best computer they have. And I recently found a shop that sells computers and computer parts, and that they make custom-made computers.

I'm looking for a computer that you won't need to replace parts to, in the coming 4 years or so. My price tag is about 1000-1500 euros.

So my question is that is this a good computer or should I buy something else?

Jimm's Custom-made computers:

Pro Gamer "Sandy" 560 (New!)
guarantee: 1 year

features:

Fractal Define R3 case
600W power Supply
Intel P67 chipset motherboard
Intel 2600k (3.4GHz) quad-core processor
8GB of DDR3 RAM (1600MHz)
2TB SATA hard drive
60GB solid state disk for the operating system
NVidia GeForce GTX 560 (​​1Gb GDDR5) graphics card
Burning Blu-ray drive

Operating system: not included

Price: 1374 euros

Picture of it:

http://jimms.fi/imagecache/6/6/50566_650x400_1.jpg

Link to website (It's Finnish):

http://jimms.fi/tuote/JIMM-PG-2600-560

Please tell me if this is a bad or good computer ;) 

Thanks!

More about : buying computer

Anonymous
July 17, 2011 8:56:16 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Grumpy9117
July 17, 2011 9:08:04 PM

that seems expensive compared to what you can get in the uk

for 1399 pounds this is pre overclocked to 4.80ghz and has sli graphics cards a bigger 120gb ssd higher speed memory and has windows 7

i believe they will also build custom pcs to your requirements--dont know about shipping to europe or what the cost would be if they do

have a look here

http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming+Range/Gladiator/Gl...
Related resources
July 18, 2011 8:49:40 AM

Well it looks nice, but it costs 1678,8 euros (which is over my budget) + the shipping costs to Finland.

I'm searching for a custom-made computer without a os, because I already own a windows 7 ultimate 32-bit DVD.

The computer i've found has an better processor ( http://ark.intel.com/compare/52210,52214 ) but the Gladiator wins in everything else :D 
July 18, 2011 9:28:20 AM

didnt realise the pound was doing so well against the euro

they do build to order so would do it without the os--about £60 less

the pre overclock costs about £50 so removing that and overclocking it yourself saves again

overclocking sandy bridge is simple only the multiplier and cpu voltage involved --easier than i7

the cheapest way to do it is probably to build it yourself if you are able to

in the uk some sites will offer to beat prices from other web sites so i look around and get them to beat each other and end up getting it all from one place to only get one delivery cost--saved about £200 on my latest build by doing that as when one site under cut the other i went back to the 1st site and got a better offer again--took a few hours of haggling but the saving was well worth it

i suppose shipping cost may be the main issue to finland if you got one from the uk

somewhere else that build to order is overclockers uk--dont know if they deliver to europe but you can pick your components online and get a real time cost to get an idea

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=4...
July 18, 2011 7:02:58 PM

The website you provided has good computers, but I wouldn't buy from foreign countries because there is no guarantee on the computer anymore when it has been shipped to Finland and the costs get very high if you ship it to Finland.

So my question still is:

-Is the computer good or bad that I've posted about and/or should I get a better computer.

I want an computer that can run the newest games on >medium and that I won't have to buy new computer parts for it in 4 years or so.
July 18, 2011 7:37:54 PM

it doesnt look bad at all-- but as i cant read finnish i cant tell what make of psu it is --that makes a big difference as the psu is the most important part of the pc and i would never use a cheaper brand psu

also cant tell which brand of memory or if its a factory overclocked graphics card

and do you plan to overclock it--if so which heatsink is it using? the stock heatsink is probably only good to 4.00ghz i would think
July 20, 2011 3:23:17 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
it doesn't look bad at all-- but as i cant read finnish i cant tell what make of psu it is --that makes a big difference as the psu is the most important part of the pc and i would never use a cheaper brand psu

also cant tell which brand of memory or if its a factory overclocked graphics card

and do you plan to overclock it--if so which heatsink is it using? the stock heatsink is probably only good to 4.00ghz i would think

Today I got the answers from their customer support:

• They can't tell me what brand the PSU, RAM and Hard drive is because they assemble the product when I buy it and they use the components that are available to them at that time in their store when someone orders a custom-made computer.

• If I wish, they can change the components in the computer to a specific brand if I want, for a little price. :whistle: 

• The computer is not overclocked. Overclocking is in no way prevented, and with these components it is easy, even pleasant (this is what their customer support said)

• The processor has a separate, horizontal heatpipe cooler with a 120mm fan. The graphics card has a factory installed ?active?cooler.

• The enclosure can hold two 5.25-inch drives. The product comes with one 12X-speed burning Blu-Ray/DVD/CD, you can still add one CD-ROM drive/DVD-ROM drive to the machine.

• And the wires in the computer are placed so that air can flow trough it

----

Sorry if the text is bad (I had to translate it from Finnish to English, and it's not easy to translate it so that it sounds good) :) 

I'm not going to mess with a new computer (In case it gets damaged by it), when it gets slower maybe then but the power it has now will already be enough for me. :D 
    July 20, 2011 3:59:39 PM

suonds like they will use a less expensive psu then--the make of rams not as important and it sounds like they use a reasonably good heatsink if its got 120mm fan on it--again the make of hard drive isnt vital--in real world use you wont notice much difference from one make to another

as they say overclocking is easy with that cpu--providing the heatsinks good enough4.4ghz to 4.5ghz should be pretty straight forward

would just be nice for that amount of money to know you were getting a corsair or other good brand of psu

!