Sign in with
Your question

AM2, AM2+ or AM3 ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 14, 2011 9:06:46 PM

Hello,
I have a PC with an AMD Phenom 2.50 GHz CPU. Can anyone tell me how to tell if it is a AM2, AM2+, or AM3? I want to upgrade my motherboard to one with PCIe slots and a AM3+ CPU socket. I am told that AM2 & AM2+ will not work so I need to know what my existing on is. Thanks TERRY

More about : am2 am2 am3

Related resources
a c 850 à CPUs
October 14, 2011 9:20:47 PM

dirtyferret said:
new avatar for the BD launch?

Just a statement, the only bulldozer I am getting this round! FX II maybe, already have a AM3+ board with a X3 in it!
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2011 9:28:15 PM

same, my AM3+ has a x4 in it and will remain in there for the foreseeable future
m
l
May 10, 2012 1:46:20 AM

TerryMatthiensen said:
Hello,
I have a PC with an AMD Phenom 2.50 GHz CPU. Can anyone tell me how to tell if it is a AM2, AM2+, or AM3? I want to upgrade my motherboard to one with PCIe slots and a AM3+ CPU socket. I am told that AM2 & AM2+ will not work so I need to know what my existing on is. Thanks TERRY

The white or ivory plastic thing with holes that your chip is plugged into is the socket. At the top of this socket a name is molded into it. That is the name and type of socket. If your processor is working and it is plugged into that socket then you can be pretty sure that the processor type is the same type as the socket it is plugged into.
m
l
!