G41 chipset DDR3 or P43 chipset DDR2 For C2Q 9650

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWARHEAD01

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hello Everyone.. I know its time to talk about 2nd gen i series but im still stuck with oldies.
I got an intel quad core q9650 3.0 Ghz processor and im looking for a motherboard and only motherboards available in my area are either g41 chipset DDR3 or P43 chipset DDR2. I know with with p43 chipset i can easily go with overclocking. But my question is which would be better if i don't do any sort of OC. My gpu is HD 6850 and mostly ill be using after effects and photoshop. Sometimes also do some gaming.

Solution
If you are not going to overclock, go with the G41 because DDR3 RAM is so much less expensive today.

You may be able to squeeze out a 10% overclock with a G41 using a Q9650, but I doubt if you can get much more.

The only other problem with the G41 (besides the limited FSB freq) is that you will have only 4 SATA ports instead of 6 or 8.
If you are not going to overclock, go with the G41 because DDR3 RAM is so much less expensive today.

You may be able to squeeze out a 10% overclock with a G41 using a Q9650, but I doubt if you can get much more.

The only other problem with the G41 (besides the limited FSB freq) is that you will have only 4 SATA ports instead of 6 or 8.

Solution

MrWARHEAD01

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

Thanks. But there is one more thing which is the use of Graphic card. i have sapphire HD6850 and i have seen that in most P43 chipset boards we get pci x16 2.0 slot while all in G41 the its PCI 1.0, Now will they make a difference with my card as its an mid range card. I also play games sometimes with friends like Battlefield 3 or CoD.

Status
Not open for further replies.