120mm PSU fan makes loud noise

DOSMAN202

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hello,
I have a CoolerMaster 500W PSU and it has a 120mm fan in it that i keep having to open the PSU itself and WD40 the fan up but even if i do that a few hours later the fan will do the same thing again and i dont know what to do although im guessing that the PSU fan is out or bad or PSU is bad. please help thanks.

Edit: i found out how to stop the stop the noise for a little while and make the fan spin again but it wont last long i basically bang on the top of my box where the PSU is loacated and it stops the noise. still looking for a perm. fix though.

inuyasha-rules

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
yeah, just get a 120mm fan from a good brand, sutch as apeva (low end, but ok) or silverstone (which i highly recomend). then you just cut the wires off on the old fan close to the fan, and cut the plug off the new fan leaving a few inches to work. strip the wires, and hook red to red, black to black, and leave yellow disconected (if yellow is there. its for fan speed sensing, and is optional). be sure to either twist the wires good, or solder them if you have an iron. either way make sure you wrap the wires good in electrical tape. wrap black first, then red, then finally wrap them both. you dont want any shorts in there. this one is a good one, and a good deal at $14 shipped http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220031