Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to connect Linksys WiFi router to MiFi?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 1, 2011 4:15:12 PM

How may I connect my Globesurfer III MiFi (with ATT Data Card) to a Linksys WiFi
router so that I extend the range of my MiFi device?

Somehow, I think I need to convert the Linksys IP address to the Globesurfer address of 192.168.1.1
but, if that is so, how would I logon to my Linksys to change its IP address?

You can see I am very green in all of this. I am told it is doable, but how?

I am not even sure how to properly hook-up my Linksys to my computer and then enter its settings/ IP section. Do I connect with the WAN Internet input or the Ethernet outputs?

Thanks very much. Steve
Anonymous
January 1, 2011 8:37:38 PM

To access the Linksys router's user setup screens you need to connect the computer to one of the router's ethernet sockets.
January 2, 2011 1:32:04 PM

Quote:
To access the Linksys router's user setup screens you need to connect the computer to one of the router's ethernet sockets.

Thanks very much.

1. I do not see my Linksys even though I am hooked up to it properly.
2. More importanlty, the IP address of 192.168.1.1 is, I disocvered, both the standard IP setting for my MIFI device, and standard for the Linksys.

So, for its own sake, I still need to be able to view the Linksys to determine whether its IP address is as expected.
More importanly, it appears from the Blogs that, in an attempt to attach an ethernet cable between by computer and the WiFi router, there are interference issues-the resolution for which I cannot follow on some of the dicusssions.It is either one device ot the other-even though they both share the same
IP address.

It seems to me that, while my router works well as a stand alone when at home, when away, with my MiFi router, there is some sort of interference- I cannot select one router (MiFi-which is the active logon one) to send its signal to another router (the recipient one) in order to extend its range. Also, any changes I make cannot affect my ability to logon to the many future outside WiFi areas to which I go.

I am reluctant, if both IP addresses are the same, as they should be, to change something on my Dell E 4200 computer-as it searches and sets itself for my MiFi. If it searches for my Linksys router, it finds it (but has no online activity, as I wish to dove-tail the signal from the MiFi device to the Linksys).

What to do for now and without messing it up for when I get home an din other areas?

Thank you kndly. Zorba71
Related resources
Anonymous
January 2, 2011 4:54:39 PM

It sounds like you have an IP clash between router and MiFi -- the latter is really designed for a single-user and may not work with a router.

The likely address of the Linksys is (192.168.) 1.1 or 0. 1 to confirm this wire into it (without the Mifi present). Restart the computer and go to Windows Start, Run and type cmd -- when a monochrome DOS-like window appears type IPCONFIG /ALL and look form the word gateway. The IP number next to that word is the router's address (and should be one of the above). Once you have that, consult the router manual for how to address the router's user setup screens that will allow you to alter the IP address.

There may be a problem if the Mifi driver has grabbed that IP address. As I say Mifi is meant to plug into a laptop and used on the go so routers probably never entered the equation when it was designed.

If you must use cellphone type internet there are routers designed for that but they are still expensive.
January 2, 2011 10:15:32 PM

The IP address of the Linksys router is confirmed as you explained the confirmation and is the same IP used by the Globesurfer III MiFi.
The MIFI is used wirelessly, though one can hard wire a connection to another computer or printer-up to two hard wire and five of them in total using the same Mifi.
I attached the computer ethernet port to the Internet input of the Linksys-it does not work.
I attached the computer ethernet port to any one of the input ports of the Linksys-it does not work.

I am trying to tap the signal from the MiFi to my Linksys to extend the range and Globesurfer people said it works and was a "simple" matter of hard wire to the Internet port of the Linksys from the computer Ethernet port-not so for me.

I need some way, perhaps, wherein I can use the "share network" function as if I were connecting several computers to a home network.

If that makes sense ( I have XP3), fully updated, got killed with Vista, afraid of Windows 7 until more time has elapsed-please advise how to "network", tap that signal to the Linksys device-same IP addresses.

Thank you. Zorba 71
Anonymous
January 3, 2011 5:27:28 AM

The simplest way to connect a second computer to the internet is Windows Internet Connection Sharing (see Windows Help) -- you run an ethernet crossover cable from the network socket of the computer with Mifi to the other computer.
January 3, 2011 11:01:12 AM

Thank you. Tried that.

I am trying to connect my Linksys WiFi router to utilize its WiFi longer range capabilites by tapping off the MiFi.

Not trying to connect another computer-which is easily done.

Went into Network sharing and made the proper sharing changes-but the separate Linksys cannot be read by the computer with hard wire from the changed computer to the Linksys.

It wants to either utilize the Globesurfer III MiFi signal ("View available networks")or switch it to the external Linksys-which sees no WiFi connection. Not sending a signal from the one to the other-via the computer which is on network sharing mode.

Hardwire from the computer to the Linksys input does not enable it to utilize the MiFi signal.
Hardwire from the MiFi device to the Linksys does not work.

What to do?

Thank you.
January 8, 2011 11:49:56 AM

In order to be certain that what I seek to accomplish is more clear:

My MiFi device has a single best signal location-and such a location is an area difficult to work in,
not to mention to allow others to logon to the same signal. The Globesurfer III MiFi allows five simultaneous devices (Computers, Printers, etc).

Accordingly, I wish to be able to tap the MiFi signal, extend its range, via a WiFi router-
in order for myself and others to take advantage of the best but more remote location of
the MiFi signal and its box.

This is the crux of the problem. I need a Repeater for the MiFi signal-hard-wired or wireless.
Anonymous
January 8, 2011 12:04:54 PM

This is a fairly new technology and my only knowledge of it is from posts similar to yours, usually with problems of sharing the service. I suspect it would be worth contacting customer support at whichever company supplied or made the Mifi unit.
January 8, 2011 12:33:02 PM

Quote:
This is a fairly new technology and my only knowledge of it is from posts similar to yours, usually with problems of sharing the service. I suspect it would be worth contacting customer support at whichever company supplied or made the Mifi unit.

I had started with the supplier and manufacturer-no knowledge as of yet as to a solution.
Repeater or otherwise. They were headed to the CES in LV and would ask around.
My hope for a solution lies in the fact that, sooner or later, as the need is clear, someone will come up with the solution-either in their garage or with a simple elegant solution from exisiting software and hardware. Such has been my experience in the past. Plus, just as soon as the new need created
by the advent of a new technology is recognized, someone is working on it, somewhere. The interval between new need and its solution has progressively shortened. Dynamic and exciting to observe.
Anonymous
January 8, 2011 3:18:03 PM

Just going over your earlier posts you suggest that you are trying to connect the Mifi to the "internet" port of the router. This should work if the router is the kind designed to be connected to a separate modem (usually from Cable ISPs these days) -- there the one which may be labelled Internet -- is actually another Ethernet port.

But if the router is a DSL type designed to be connected to the telephone network you will not be able to physically connect that via its internet port -- but, rather, you will need to use an ethernet port.

Which Linksys model do you have ?
January 8, 2011 6:00:30 PM

Quote:
Just going over your earlier posts you suggest that you are trying to connect the Mifi to the "internet" port of the router. This should work if the router is the kind designed to be connected to a separate modem (usually from Cable ISPs these days) -- there the one which may be labelled Internet -- is actually another Ethernet port.

But if the router is a DSL type designed to be connected to the telephone network you will not be able to physically connect that via its internet port -- but, rather, you will need to use an ethernet port.

Which Linksys model do you have ?

Thanks very much for your further thoughts.
I have a Linksys Model No. WRT160N V2
I have used this same Linksys when at home from my Cable ISP, attaching the cable hard-wire signal to the same Linksys described here to the "Internet Port"-with an excellent WiFi signal. Not a DSL.
I have tried every combo between the MiFi device and the router (hard wired and wireless) and between the computer which reads the MiFi signal and the router-all to no avail.
I use the MiFi while travelling, took along my Linksys with the hope of not being wedded to the one area
with a decent signal.
I would be happy to purchase any MiFi signal repeater device that accomplishes the task-but can find none on the market. Verizon has been out with their MiFi for nearly one year-but still no repeater or signal extender or enhancer that I can find. I use the ATT Data Card for my MiFi.

Best solution

February 3, 2011 1:56:34 AM

The easiest way to accomplish what you want to do seems like it would involve the custom router firmware http://dd-wrt.com. You could probably install it on a router and use the extra features to do what you are looking to do.

It offers the ability to become a wireless repeater OR a wireless bridge, so do check into that.

My father just got the VM Mifi and had a very similar question, I think I'll just get him a wireless adapter. ;) 
February 10, 2011 9:07:52 AM

Thanks for the recommendation.

Having looked into your suggested option on the cited web address,
I am reluctant to risk a further waste-of-money mistake.

If you decide to proceed with a repeater router to extend the range for your Dad's MiFi,
and it works, I would
appreciate learning precisly what you bought, from whom, how to specifically hook
it up, and I will then proceed to mimic your approach.
February 20, 2011 8:47:48 AM

Best answer selected by zorba71.
!