A real puzzle - ram tested fine now will not post.

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Gigabyte UD4H 790 - AMD 940 x4, 430 - 500 (?) watt supply windows 7 ultimate 64bit (OCZ 2X2GB, PATRIOT 2X4GB - same timings and volt)

Hello, and thanks for anyone who can offer some insight.

I wanted to add ram as I had one bad stick producing error. I believe I damaged this stick via overclock. I had to pull heatsink to do this. The heatsink pulled processor. Pins were bent. I straightened pins via credit card trick and it set with no insertion pressure. Did not put on new grease.

Next... All ram passed memtest 86 on boot 4 passes over a day or so. Old ram was tested as well and prior and is perfect on tests. New ram tested by itself and is perfect on tests. All tests on boot via hirens boot cd.

So the system booted and memtest 86 tests were 0 errors. ALLL IS LOOOKING GREAT!!! THEN...

Booted windows and it hung on the opening screen. Tried to restart system and it will not ignite monitor even let alone post. All fans will ignite though and it sends USB energy as it lights my usb stuff. I have no speaker to diagnose beeps (antec case). Using motherboard video. For grins inserted a video card and nothing as well as would be expected. Reconnected to motherboard as the bios is set for motherboard video. The monitor is working correctly and is to be ruled out. The CMOS battery is then replaced and has been shorted according to manual of motherboard to wipe it and still no post or monitor startup.

All peripherals except monitor have been unhooked. Tried with one boot drive hard drive of my 6 and no go and tried with a different hard drive just to see and no go.
Tried with one stick of ram and no go.... and one stick of another of the sticks... no go. [This motherboard will start with one stick in any slot as I tested the prior 4 2gig sticks individually.]

I tried with just the old ram and no go and just the new ram and no go.

Motherboard has NOT been ruled out. I have overclocked the system and I believe I damaged one of my prior sticks of ram and MAYBE it damaged the motherboard... I as well made a mistake with OVERDRIVE and my video card was run in the red setting and started locking up... but ran fine afterwards after I caught what I did. If motherboard why would it pass memtest and run windows just fine after removing the bad stick for a week or so and post and run memtest...

CPU - ruled out by passing memtest over 16 or so hours unless... it failed afterwards on boot of windows 7 and hung? Pulled the cpu and the grease is nice and well spread out. And again it ram memtest for days with this CPU and grease.

The Power Supply . THIS IS RULED OUT AS I REPLACED IT AND STILL THE SAME PROBLEMS. BY THE WAY THE CORSAIR 600 ON SALE SOMEWHERE... DON'T KNOW IF I CAN SAY ON THIS FORUM. GREAT QUIET SUPPLY.

BOUGHT SPEAKER - NO BEEPS - JUST FANS LIGHTING AND USB LIGHTING. GOING TO CHANGE PROCESSOR AND SEE IF THAT IS IT.

Unless I hear what to do I guess I will buy a x6 processor as it will be an upgrade if it does not turn out to be the case. God I do not want it to be the motherboard! I will wait to hear from a few of you all.

It did not ignite once or twice before when trying to start.... did not light the monitor and start the posting process. It would always do it the second time. Cpu or motherboard more likely?

What do you all think? Any help to give?

Joojoo

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Joojoo this is JooJoo... it is your motherboard...

New power supply and processor. No change. Pull a raid card that has been running fine with that combination of ram... long beep and then the giveaway. the monitor would light and the screen would was half on i.e. black on the top... motherboard burned up. So.... power supply 80 dollars. New cpu... 155 dollars. New motherboard. 100-150 dollars. So 400 or so dollars... at least I can build a second computer out of my spare parts almost.

The only reason this happened is because I hit the advanced tab on AMD overdrive when I am not an advanced overclocker. :fou: