Tags:
  • Routers
  • Wireless Router
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Modem
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 19, 2010 1:19:53 AM

Heres the problem, we are having trouble with the signal strength on our wireless routers, we currently have 2 of them, a "G" and a "N". What we are finding is that there is not enough download speed for some of the on-line gaming out there. What I would like to know is "can I run multiple cable modems directly to the various computers from different cable outlets in the house?" Would it be the same ISP? Or would I have to get multiple ISP's?
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thank you

More about : multiple cable modems

Anonymous
September 19, 2010 8:32:04 AM

Normally you can't run more than one modem -- though on cable perhaps you can if they are recognised by the ISP and, presumably, you pay two subscriptions. I don't think you'd need two ISPs.

However, I think you may have this particular bull by the tail -- to get it by the horns look at the issue of wireless, which can cripple your download speed with ease.

Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

m
l
!