3D Vision w/Projector Advice

Bob91829

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I've been doing research on 3d vision for a long time now, and decided that it's finally time to bite the bullet and try it out.

I've always been hesitant about the investment because I only use IPS monitors and since there are no 120Hz IPS monitors, I didn't want to have to go back to using TN for 3D.

Recently, I decided to compromise and go for a projector set up, that can double as both a television (cable box -> projector composite) and monitor (pc -> hdmi). I also thought it would be interesting to project it on the ceiling, so I could lay back when playing my games and hopefully get immersed into the 3d effect.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase here. There's a lot of good press on the forums here about the Acer h5360. This was the projector I was going to get (along with the 3d vision kit). Is this a good option or should I wait for the h5360BD? I'm a little hesitant because the Acer has been on the market for a long time now and I don't know if anything has changed technology-wise. I felt like this (Acer) projector as well as the compatible Optimas were the only good ones (both with resolution as well as features and quality), (except for the fact that you need to dish out another $500 for the optimas to get 3d blu-ray support).

I'm hoping that I'm making a good decision here by going with this whole 3d thing, although much of my friends keep trying to convince me that it's a fad and a gimmick. I also heard conflicting reports that NVIDIA was either discontinuing 3d vision or coming out with a new and better kit. Is it wise to wait this out?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

a while ago toms did an article using 2 lower end acer projectors (720p) and the result was very good. I have done a fair bit of service work on Acer projectors and can say overall reliability is very good, especially compared to the Epsons we service. This is mostly due to the DLP vs LCD. LCD's dont last all that long - around 5000 hrs image quality deteriorates and well before that they fill with dust and need to be cleaned - air is passed directly over the lcd's with a pretty piss poor filtering system in most lcd projectors, only higher end ones have good air filters. DLP's dont suffer as much from dust as the DLP chip is cooled from a heatsink on the rear. Id say if the newer model has better brightness/contrast etc, then it may be worth waiting for. If the specs are similar then it doesnt really matter.