GTX 570 spiking over 1000W

cheeseborger

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Hey all, i just built a new system and have found that while playing Rift and Wow it will shut off randomly as if i ere to unplug it.

I did some tests with occt and a few temp monitors mostly hwinfo32, all test showed that the temps were fine in game and during occt tests.

I was not too sure what else it could be so i checked the watt usage of my gpu while testing with hwinfo, it showed that it wa average round 40W-100W usage but then i noticed it was spiking over 1000W and after leaving occt on its PSU test for 10 minutes my pc shut off.

My question is wether or not this is a PSU issue or a graphics card issue? on nvidias site it says minimum 550W PSU.

I am using an i5 2500k oc'd with asus p8p67 pro mobo to a modest oc of 4.3ghz, a msi gtx 570 not oc'd, a mushkin 1000W PSU
and other goodies that arent too important.

It should also be noted that the shutdowns are completely random sometimes 5 minute into game and other times 3 hours in, and guaranteed it is not overheating.

Solution
Thanks for the info!

However the program is obviously not accuratem its saying that one of mt GPU's hit 3634C... if that was the case it would be a pile of dust...

It also reported one GPU using 71W under load and another using over 1000W and 1023V... the fuse in the wall socket would have burst into flames

cheeseborger

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Thanks, rolli.
I was looking at my psu and noticed it has a switch for combined/split rails so i switched it to combined and am still noticing high wattage spikes with hwinfo32 but i cannot replicate the shutdowns now after testing for 15 mins on power supply test with occt.

Thanks for the info!

However the program is obviously not accuratem its saying that one of mt GPU's hit 3634C... if that was the case it would be a pile of dust...

It also reported one GPU using 71W under load and another using over 1000W and 1023V... the fuse in the wall socket would have burst into flames

Solution

cheeseborger

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
haha, kk so ill ignore that, but like i said the problem seems to have gone away completely, however i did revert back to stock clocks and change my psu from split to combined. do you think i should still return the psu for another or could it have just been that having a 31% oc might have caused a random shutdown under full load?

Can very well have been.

TRENDING THREADS