9600m GT Nvidia repair

praondevou

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hi ,

I have a Nvidia video card 9600m GT. It had a bad ceramic capacitor C74, which had a short circuit. (I took it out). Anyone knows what the value of that capacitor is? Onboard there are others in parallel, and I assume that there have the same value, but I would like to avoid taking them off the board to measure them. Without this capacitor the card seems to work fine, but I would like to put it back in the original condition. I didn't find any schematics on the internet.
The video card is from a Acer Aspire 6935G, the capacitor I'm talking about was causing the power supply on the mainboard to shut down...

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

praondevou

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Update: In case anyone needs to know. This capacitor is a ceramic capacitor 10uF probably 25V. I took the capacitor out from another board and measured it. (not the voltage of course). Size is 1206 (SMD)

So happy repairing if someone experiences the same problem. (I had it twice and I saw on the net that there where at least two people having the same problem). The capacitor cracks and consequently creates a short circuit, most likely because of a tension on the PCB created by the screw nearby. The effect is: Laptop doesn't start up.

jirka11111

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. I have already bought new graphic card from china via ebay, so my Acer Aspire 6935G is working again. What I have mentioned is that the replacement card from ebay is repaired exactly that way (resoldered capacitors C64 & C74 near screw hole in upper right corner).
I will try to find some now capacitor and resolder them. When I am finished, I'll come back with results.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Now I know that I am not alone with this issue.

TRENDING THREADS