Using Gameboy Advanced XP with USA adaptor in Europe

I bought a Gameboy SP in USA and I need to use it in Europe.
The adapter specifies input voltage of 110V only.

If I use the adapter in Europe with a simple USA-to-Europe
plug, connecting the USA adaptor to 220V in that way - is there
a risk of damage to the adaptor of Gameboy?

It might work .. some devices work OK with either 110V or 220V,
e.g. phone chargers, computer adaptors - but I do not want to
take unnecessary risks.

"David Hiskiyahu" <David.Hiskiyahu@brinksinc.com> wrote in message
| I bought a Gameboy SP in USA and I need to use it in Europe.
| The adapter specifies input voltage of 110V only.
|
| If I use the adapter in Europe with a simple USA-to-Europe
| plug, connecting the USA adaptor to 220V in that way - is there
| a risk of damage to the adaptor of Gameboy?
|
| It might work .. some devices work OK with either 110V or 220V,
| e.g. phone chargers, computer adaptors - but I do not want to
| take unnecessary risks.

Check what the output Voltage and current is for your US adapter. See
what these figures are for your intended UK adapter. Compare.

David Hiskiyahu wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

> I bought a Gameboy SP in USA and I need to use it in Europe.
> The adapter specifies input voltage of 110V only.
>
> If I use the adapter in Europe with a simple USA-to-Europe
> plug, connecting the USA adaptor to 220V in that way - is there
> a risk of damage to the adaptor of Gameboy?

Absolutely -- the higher European mains voltage will fry your GBA SP AC
adapter, and likely the SP with it.

When you get to Europe, find a game store or retail shop and see if they
carry Nintendo's European GBA SP adapter. IIRC, it uses the same type of
connector for the SP, and its output voltage should be the same as the
US SP adapter.

Failing that, Lik-Sang sells a multivolt AC adapter for the SP that has
a European wall plug:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=3790

HTH. HAND. :)

--
Glenn Shaw
Indianapolis, IN USA

Glenn Shaw wrote:
> David Hiskiyahu wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:
>

>>I bought a Gameboy SP in USA and I need to use it in Europe.
>>The adapter specifies input voltage of 110V only.
>>
>>If I use the adapter in Europe with a simple USA-to-Europe
>>plug, connecting the USA adaptor to 220V in that way - is there
>>a risk of damage to the adaptor of Gameboy?
>

> When you get to Europe, find a game store or retail shop and see if they
> carry Nintendo's European GBA SP adapter. IIRC, it uses the same type of
> connector for the SP, and its output voltage should be the same as the
> US SP adapter.

I think this is your best idea. Lots of shops (at least in the UK -
Game, gamestation, WHSmith, Dixons) have 3rd party power supplies for
cheap-cheap prices. I've got a US SP, and I've charged it with no
problems on a UK (240V) power adapter before.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"David Hiskiyahu" wrote in message
> I bought a Gameboy SP in USA and I need to use it in Europe.
> The adapter specifies input voltage of 110V only.
>
> If I use the adapter in Europe with a simple USA-to-Europe
> plug, connecting the USA adaptor to 220V in that way - is there
> a risk of damage to the adaptor of Gameboy?

With GBA power adapters being as cheap as they are, I wouldn't take the
chance with using a voltage converter as, while the voltage is converted,
the frequency isn't. The US GBA power adapter is expecting 60 Hz and
delivering it 50 Hz could make it run very hot.

A few bucks on a GBA European power adapter is worth it just for the "peace
of mind" alone.

Cheers,
-Eric