Help Macbook minor mod

G

So, I already posted this in the Notebooks section but I don't think that that was the right place. Though I would ask from people who have done mods. I wasn't sure wear to post this since its not really for notebook or mod. I'm reposting it here and I'll delete the other one if there are no replies.

tl;dr available below

I have a 2006 macbook and cause its so old I'm thinking of installing a small 50mm desktop fan inside my macbook and spray painting my case black with orange keys. But I really don't have experience and know exactly what I should do. I would like tips if you guys have any. :)

Plan so far...
I took the superdrive out of my mac previously(cause its loud and useless) so there's space there to add the fan there and put vents and ducts there maybe. I'm not sure how I should connect my fan into it. Its a 3 pin. I'm also going to try to create ducts for the already installed cpu fan to make it more efficient somehow. The reason I'm installing another fan is to keep the macbook silent without the cpu fan having to roar. The fan will fit since its only 10mm high. I was thinking of directing air from the optical part inside. Or should it blow inside to outside? Since its like a normal flat desktop fan I think tilting it and putting it inside a duct would help direct most of the air in the direction I want. Right?

I'm going to spray paint by taking my macbook apart(done it before) and spray paint the bottom and the battery black. For the keyboard I will do black all over it first and then use slips of paper to slide underneath between the keys and do orange over it. Do you guys think there will be a problem if I paint the trackpad? I could sand it with very fine paper if its too thick there... I'm going to take the top case/monitor apart and spray paint it black seperately(never took apart the top before) to avoid getting the camera and the display. I'm aiming for a clean matte look... hopefully. The problem is, I don't know what to do about they keys... the labels on top will probably dissapear... would it work if I do a light orange paint or is there a slightly transparent paint out there somewhere :heink: ? Or maybe there's a way where I can put new labels on myself?

tl;dr I'm trying to connect a small case fan inside a macbook and I'm spray painting the macbook(its old and don't worry I paid $75 for it). I'm inexperience and need tips on the connection and painting technique. Also wondering about what to do about labels on keyboard.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
do a full dissasembly of the laptop, take the time to tape off areas you dont want paint and as for the fan... i suppose i would plug it into an existing fans plug. if you are adding and not replacing a fan then either splice the fans power into existing fans or solder a new fan connection onto the MB.

its alot easier only painting the plastic with nothing in it than it is to try and work around crap like keys, mouse pads, and screens.

inuyasha-rules

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
as for paint, id recomend an automotive type paint. most auto parts stores carry a decnt selection in a variety of colors. regular spreay paint will just flake off. first lightly sand wherever you are painting with 200 or 300 grit sandpaper, then folow the paint manufactures directions for primer, etc. take your time, spend the money for the right paint, and it will look good

tl;dr 12 gauge shotgun is a good case mod

G

Yeah I was planning to take the whole bottom and top out. I've done the bottom multiple times before but I've never taken the display apart but I can try. The problem is I don't know where to put the fan wires. The connection for the existing fan in the macbook is all wierd...
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Core-Duo-Fan/290/5
You can see what the wire and the connection looks like at step 14 and 15.
I'm not sure if i should splice the fan. I think that will reduce voltage and amperage to the cpu fan.

G

The macbook has a gloss like protection on it. should I sand that all/most of it off or just only do a little?

G

Ok. I'l go to home depot for the sand paper and I'll look for automative paint. For the primer, does a spray paint version exist? I'm going to try to get these asaps and post pictures :D.