Which GPU for Fractal Design Define R3 Case?

lancery

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hi,

I am considering the Fractal Design Define R3 case for my gaming-based computer system. In doing so, based on the post below, it's important that that I find a Graphics card with rear exhaust to have both reasonable thermal and good quietness.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/10/29/fractal-design-define-r3-review/3
"This is because the fan mount blanking plates of the R3 effectively turn the case into a closed system with hot air only being expelled by the rear exhaust fan. This is fine if it’s only got the heat from a CPU to contend with but becomes an issue if you add the heat from a graphics card to the mix too. As a result we’d recommend anyone thinking of housing their PC in a R3 make sure their graphics card cooler exhausts air out the back of the case rather than into the case."

===================================================
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In 2 weeks.

Budget: $100 - $200

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Games (Witcher 2, Shogun 2, Diablo III), watching movies

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: No GPU yet, Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Core i5-2500K, ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3), G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB, COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, Fractal Design Define R3 Case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, amazon, tigerdirect

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: GTX 460 or HD 6850 with rear exhaust

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Want it to work with Fractal Design Define R3 Case so rear exhaust is preferred
===================================================

So given my price range, I am considering the following:

ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
$139.99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121419&nm_mc=OTC-C173T&cm_mmc=OTC-C173T-_-Video+Cards-_-ASUS-_-14121419

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$156.99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391&cm_re=engtx460_asus-_-14-121-391-_-Product

However, I am not sure which card, if any, has the rear exhaust. Does any1 know? Also, I am open to other GTX 460 or HD 6850 cards if both cards above do not have rear exhaust.

Thanks.

Solution
Well, to be honest I think the case you are looking at would do fine with any of the cards. It looks to me to have pretty good airflow and I don't think you really need to worry.

However to answer your question, when we say "rear exhaust" we are referring to a card where most if not all of the hot air goes out through the output on the back. For this to be the case, the fan must be on the side farthest from the back of the card (the 'back' is where the exhaust and video connectors are). If the card is like the ones you listed (center fan), then the air splits - half or less goes out the back and the rest of the hot air goes into your case.

lancery

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

I haven't purchased the case yet, but according to what I researched, it's a pretty good one for quietness and reasonable thermal. The caveat to reasonable thermal is, unfortunately, a card with rear exhaust. I am open to other case that's aimed at quietness, but this one looks pretty good.

lancery

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

Can you teach me how to fish? I am not sure how to identify a card as rear exhaust. Based on what I can see from the pic (http://tinypic.com/r/qrhmyd/7), both cards got a output at the back. I thought that's what they were using to blow the air out of the card. As for the EVGA card, I'd prefer not to get something so expensive.

Well, to be honest I think the case you are looking at would do fine with any of the cards. It looks to me to have pretty good airflow and I don't think you really need to worry.

However to answer your question, when we say "rear exhaust" we are referring to a card where most if not all of the hot air goes out through the output on the back. For this to be the case, the fan must be on the side farthest from the back of the card (the 'back' is where the exhaust and video connectors are). If the card is like the ones you listed (center fan), then the air splits - half or less goes out the back and the rest of the hot air goes into your case.

Solution

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Buy whatever card you like and chuck a coulple of quiet fans in the optional spots in your case.

(1x Front, 2x Top, 1x Side Optional). I'd suggest adding another fan in front and 1x top at least, will do wonders for your temps.

*Plus, good low speed fans will add less noise than a rear exhausting loud GPU*

lancery

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Ok thanks for the feedback guys. I guess the consensus is that stick with whichever card I prefer, and if things heat up, just get another fan(s) to help with the airflow.