M-Audio AV 40 or Logitech Z623?

Megane67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi, I hope this is the right forum, I'm in need of some advice.

My PC desktop speakers are dying a slow death after 10 years and I'm seeking a replacement. My old speakers were a Logitech 2.1 setup and I'd like another 2.1 system as I have no interest or room for 5.1-7.1 speakers anyway and $200 is the maximum limit of my budget for this.

I researched the subject for a couple of days and I was originally going to get the M-Audio Studiophile (AV 40) speakers but they were out of stock and I decided to do a little more research and found the Logitech 2.1 (Z623) speakers rated high as well. The AV 40 was very highly praised but some claim its bass was weak and being a 2.0 system, it lacked the subwoofer of the Z623.

I'm not an audiophile in the sense that I measure highs, mediums, low, etc of sound quality, nor do I ever plan to produce any professional music. I also don't listen to rap music with deep bass and while I appreciate the feeling of a subwoofer rumble to a point, I don't need or want it loud enough to shake the room apart and make the neighbours complain.

I plan to use these speakers mostly for PC gaming, including Roland MT-32 MIDI music in games from Lucasarts, Sierra, etc. With the additional audio ports the new speakers provide, I plan to use them for older console gaming with the SDTV next to my computer as well. I occasionally listen to MP3s and watch a lot of Youtube length videos online but I watch my DVDs on a TV, not my computer.

Finally, the AV 40 are studio speakers, which I know are very high quality but I'm not sure if they are suited for what I will be using them for, if that makes any sense. Plus while I could squeeze them onto my desktop, despite their width, I do not have sufficient room to put them 6 feet away from me in an optimal triangle position. About 3 feet is all I can spare.

Anyway, I was just wondering if the Logitech Z623 was the way to go considering my personal preferences or if the M-Audio AV 40 really is that much better overall. Any help is appreciated.

The M-Audio AV 40 are much better quality no question in my mind.
They are truly made for the audiophile.
If you don't have a $100+ discrete soundcard,onboard audio just isn't going to cut -it for those.
From reading your post i'm inclined to believe the Logitech are more suitable for your needs.
They are much more versatile for a desktop user.
A good quick read which makes this quite clear.
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/24/review-logitech-z623-2-1-speakers/

Megane67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Thank you for your help, I bought the Logitech 2.1 Z623 speakers earlier today and hooked it up. Unfortunately, I was greeted with a loud hum at 30% of total volume when I hooked it up to my computer. Leaving the speakers on, I then shut off the computer and the hum went away only to return when I turned the computer back on. I then unplugged the speakers from the computer and hooked it up to my iPod. It sounded great and even at high volumes, there was no humming noise at all.

So now, it would seem I need to replace the onboard audio device that came with my computer with a sound card and I was wondering which card you would recommend getting? I'd prefer not to spend more than $100 if possible as I've already spent $130 on the Z623. Any advice is again, appreciated.

Megane67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. I got the Asus DG today and took it to my computer guy to install, only to discover too late that my computer's port was PCI-e X1 and the card wouldn't fit. I was so fixated on getting the right card, I overlooked the connection issue. Oh well, live and learn.

Anyway, it looks like the only choice I have left, besides upgrading my motherboard which I *REALLY* don't want to have to do, is to get an external soundcard that connects to a USB port. Could you recommend a good external soundcard that would work well with my Z623 speakers? Again, I don't care about 5.1-7.1 Surround as long as the 2.1 Stereo sounds great with what I'm using it for. Also, I run Windows 7 64 bit, in case that's a factor.

Get a DX then it's pcie x 1 just make sure nothing will block it (length wise).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006
What mobo do you have?
Be specific please.
Because i'm having a hard time with the DG not fitting.
I have Audigys pulled out of 10 year old boards that will fit in any new computer i own.

Megane67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Using the program HW64, I got the following information about my motherboard:

Motherboard
Motherboard Model: Gateway SX2850
Motherboard Chipset: Intel H57 (IbexPeak DH)
Motherboard Slots: 7xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16
PCI Express Version Supported: v2.0
USB Version Supported: v2.0

If you need more info, let me know. As for the card, you recommended, I'll have to check with my computer guy when he opens for business and see if he thinks it'll fit or not. Otherwise, I'll have no choice but to go with an external card.

Well that explains everything!
That's a weird one.
The DX will likely fit in one of those 7 slots.