Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2200 dollar gaming build ~ little advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 18, 2011 4:25:44 AM

Hello everyone, have some cash and wanted to build a new rig. Here is a list of components that i've seen on here that look good. This machine will mostly be used for gaming. then maybe a little gaming after that. I'd like to keep the price below $2200, But i'd also like to have the machine last for a few years without having to upgrade. I would like to OC. I mostly play FPS, don't know if that'll be important in your comments. I don't care about looks, so if i can get away with a more plain(and cheaper) case or anything else, i'd like to hear it.

Approximate Purchase Date: July, 2011

Budget Range: $2000 (I'm okay if it goes over $2000 a little)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the web, music, movies, schoolwork.

Parts Not Required: Mouse.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newegg.com

Country of Origin: I am in the U.S.

Parts Preferences: Open

Overclocking: Yes.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes.

Monitor Resolution: High as possible to play with max settings.


Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

GPU x2: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130590

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drivehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233181

CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T with CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.691549

DVD Drive: LITE-ON DVD Burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Monitors: N82E16824236079ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 w/Speakers & HDMI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

Thank everyone for your time.

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 18, 2011 5:03:12 AM

Get a HD 6970, it's only slightly slower and much cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get one not two, the AMD 7000 series is around the corner.

Alternatives for the SSD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want insane frames get two HD 6950, those are cool and quiet

For one monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For two or more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lifetime warranty with registration of the cards on the XFX site within 30 days.

Share
a b 4 Gaming
July 18, 2011 6:13:47 AM

lespaulpilot said:
Hello everyone, have some cash and wanted to build a new rig. Here is a list of components that i've seen on here that look good. This machine will mostly be used for gaming. then maybe a little gaming after that. I'd like to keep the price below $2200, But i'd also like to have the machine last for a few years without having to upgrade. I would like to OC. I mostly play FPS, don't know if that'll be important in your comments. I don't care about looks, so if i can get away with a more plain(and cheaper) case or anything else, i'd like to hear it.

Approximate Purchase Date: July, 2011

Budget Range: $2000 (I'm okay if it goes over $2000 a little)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the web, music, movies, schoolwork.

Parts Not Required: Mouse.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newegg.com

Country of Origin: I am in the U.S.

Parts Preferences: Open

Overclocking: Yes.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes.

Monitor Resolution: High as possible to play with max settings.


Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

GPU x2: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130590

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drivehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233181

CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T with CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.691549

DVD Drive: LITE-ON DVD Burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Monitors: N82E16824236079ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 w/Speakers & HDMI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

Thank everyone for your time.

That 850w psu is fine for dual 570's, but it's not going to cut it for dual 580's. You want a solid 900+w psu. Also check the airflow on that case...like how many fans does it hold, good airflow, etc...? Check up on it because Iv'e heard those cases have crap cooling and even worse airflow. Dual 580's and o/c is going to create a lot of heat.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 18, 2011 6:28:58 AM

mosox said:
Get a HD 6970, it's only slightly slower and much cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get one not two, the AMD 7000 series is around the corner.

Alternatives for the SSD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want insane frames get two HD 6950, those are cool and quiet

For one monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For two or more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lifetime warranty with registration of the cards on the XFX site within 30 days.


Am I missing something or are the 1 GB and 2 GB versions the same price? In that case there really is no point in downgrading to the 1 GB version, which normally like $30 cheaper.
m
0
l
July 18, 2011 12:26:25 PM

Oh I see. Even with the factory overclock you're better off getting the 2GB version. You can always overclock it on your own and you're paying a lot for a really minor overclock.
m
0
l
July 19, 2011 8:19:34 PM

mosox said:
Get a HD 6970, it's only slightly slower and much cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Get one not two, the AMD 7000 series is around the corner.

Alternatives for the SSD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want insane frames get two HD 6950, those are cool and quiet

For one monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For two or more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lifetime warranty with registration of the cards on the XFX site within 30 days.


So if i were to get 2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150549&cm_re=hd_6950-_-14-150-549-_-Product, i'd have no issues playing most FPS games(MW3, BF3, BFBC2) on max on 3 monitores in CFX?
m
0
l
July 19, 2011 8:50:46 PM

Why_Me said:
Two of those cards will mop the floor with any game out there.


Will i still need to have a 950+ watt power supply? or will a 900 work fine?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2011 8:52:48 PM

lespaulpilot said:
Will i still need to have a 950+ watt power supply? or will a 900 work fine?

A 750w psu will push two of those cards with ease.
m
0
l
July 19, 2011 10:02:06 PM

Ok, so the below setup will be a decent Frame pusher? thanks in advance gang.

Case: Coolermaster 932 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

PSU: CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139025

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Cooler: XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Long Life http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

GPU: XFX HD-695X-CDDC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150548

Monitors: ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079


m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2011 11:13:24 PM

Nice build. :) 

Here's a monitor worth taking a look at imo. It's LED and has a 2ms response time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $149.99 - $134.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
Asus ML228H 21.5" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD LED BackLight LED Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 10,000,000 :1 (ASCR)

And if your in the market for a decent gaming headset, this one here is about $100 @ newegg when you factor in the shipping, but it's a bargain @ amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CA-HS1ANA-Gaming-Analog-H... $73.50 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair CA-HS1ANA Gaming Audio Series HS1 Analog Gaming Headset
m
0
l
July 19, 2011 11:35:32 PM

you could save some cash about 90-100 dollars by choosing this case, admittedly its pretty bland but it got rave reviews and you can't beat the price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

you don't really need two video cards if you only gaming on a single monitor @ 1080p. A single high powered card would do just fine and you could buy another when the prices drop.

I also notice you only seem to have a SSD no HDD was this intended? if so I'm not sure how well 120GB would be to have everything on in including pictures etc... I think you fill it up pretty quick, so if this is your plan then I put the extra $100 you save from the case towards a bigger SSD. If it wasn't intended I get a samsung spinpoint 3 fast and cheap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
July 19, 2011 11:47:27 PM

Why_Me said:
Nice build. :) 

Here's a monitor worth taking a look at imo. It's LED and has a 2ms response time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $149.99 - $134.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
Asus ML228H 21.5" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD LED BackLight LED Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 10,000,000 :1 (ASCR)

And if your in the market for a decent gaming headset, this one here is about $100 @ newegg when you factor in the shipping, but it's a bargain @ amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CA-HS1ANA-Gaming-Analog-H... $73.50 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair CA-HS1ANA Gaming Audio Series HS1 Analog Gaming Headset


Will i get better visuals having 3 of those monitors over the 3 1080p monitors i chose in my build? Will definitely look at the headset. thanks.
m
0
l
July 19, 2011 11:53:16 PM

shadow1942 said:
you could save some cash about 90-100 dollars by choosing this case, admittedly its pretty bland but it got rave reviews and you can't beat the price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

you don't really need two video cards if you only gaming on a single monitor @ 1080p. A single high powered card would do just fine and you could buy another when the prices drop.

I also notice you only seem to have a SSD no HDD was this intended? if so I'm not sure how well 120GB would be to have everything on in including pictures etc... I think you fill it up pretty quick, so if this is your plan then I put the extra $100 you save from the case towards a bigger SSD. If it wasn't intended I get a samsung spinpoint 3 fast and cheap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I'll def look at the case, any way i can save money i will. I just saw that it had great reviews and awesome cooling. Since i want to overclock i thought it would work great. and since I also want to run 2 gpu's so i can run 3 monitors if CFX, i figured i need the cooling. Would that case keep up? Don't care about looks.

I already have a 1T drive that i bought a month or so ago to put in my old machine, but it died.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2011 11:54:02 PM

lespaulpilot said:
Will i get better visuals having 3 of those monitors over the 3 1080p monitors i chose in my build? Will definitely look at the headset. thanks.

Ask anyone on here that has an LED monitor...you def. notice a difference. Bright light pic...it's nice. Like an LED TV.
m
0
l
July 20, 2011 12:26:49 AM

Dual 6950 2gb version, then flash them to 6970 for an even cheaper crossfire set.
m
0
l
July 20, 2011 12:41:38 AM

Youngmind said:
Dual 6950 2gb version, then flash them to 6970 for an even cheaper crossfire set.


in reading the reviews of the card i chose, one person stated that it can't be flashed to 6970. do you know if this is true? should i chose a different card?
m
0
l
July 20, 2011 1:32:43 AM

yes the 6950's are no longer flashable :( 
m
0
l
July 31, 2011 12:31:52 AM

Best answer selected by Lespaulpilot.
m
0
l
!