Sign in with
Your question

Help diagnose the problem?!? NO BEEPS NO POST!!!

Last response: in Systems
July 18, 2011 6:04:55 AM

OK, I have been struggling with this for weeks now, and have broken down and am asking for help. I am A+ Network+ certified, and have been doing computers for over 15 years. So I kind of know my stuff ;) 

Anyways, this is the issue: I have two motherboards, two processors, two power supplies (that I have multimeter verified), two sticks of ram, two chassis (but am testing on a piece of wooden bench) and two video cards. I have tried with all of it assembled, and in various stages of disassembly. I have removed parts in the following order: VGA Card, RAM, processor, and still the same issue. I have swapped all combination of parts. I have ensured that the chassis speaker is plugged in every time.

Now this is what happens, the only commonality here: The machine powers on all the fans, but will not post, beep, or anything. Also, I have another mobo with a different generation of hardware, and it too will not beep or post. This leads me to believe that I am either not testing the PSU properly (admittedly I am rusty with the multimeter), and they are both dead, or I have two defective components of the same type... Everything is seated properly, and checked 10 times by now. I am stumped. Anyone think of anything I missed?

EDIT: ALl of these parts are used, AM2 boards, ddr2 ram, and psu's are all a few years old... PSU's report 12v, 5v and 3.3v w/o any loads though...
July 18, 2011 10:17:43 PM

I would do PSU first as you can return them easily enough. Possible virus contact with these motherboards - did they contact the same drive or network? Does one of them have video on board and have you tried?

You are more experienced then me.... I am having my own non post situation and have just changed the power supply and still no go. Mine is an AM2 plus board. I am going to try a x6 new processor as it is an upgrade if it doesn't work anyway. Sheesh computers... enough to drive you to drink! Can you look at my thread? I do know that my computer would not boot a couple of times and it has been overclocked. CPU or board next for me. Hope I helped in some tiny tiny way.
m
l
July 29, 2011 7:24:30 PM

It i not a virus, it doesn't post...

Anyone have any ideas?
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2011 8:50:38 PM

either the motherboard or the CPU (or the CPU not being powered.) in my experience.
m
l
July 29, 2011 11:05:56 PM

I ordered about 700.00 worth of hardware, including a modern power supply (80plus gold). I will verify the problem with these parts, and I haven't bought new hardware in about 5 years, so cha ching **UPGRADE TIME**** :D 

I tested the motherboard main power connectors, but couldn't get it to draw under load (because it won't even beep). I didn't properly test the cpu power connector though, so will add that to my troubleshooting steps. Anyone else have this happen to them?
m
l
July 30, 2011 11:52:27 PM

You can ponder my thread as well....New Antec HCG-900 PSU......lights but no action?
Like your I have been building computers since the early '90's. Unlike you I have zero certifications. On mine I have completely remove all connections and reset all components without a beep in return....no pun intended, well then again. All fans, lights, etc. appear to be working fine, yet no post or beep.
I'm to the point of replacing the motherboard.
m
l
!