Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Ati hd 5870 grey screen of death

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 8, 2011 12:13:35 PM

Hi guys,

I'm getting the grey screen of death while playing games with this card I have the latest 11.4 drivers and I still get random crashes, is there a hot fix out there?

Its the mobility version in a Asus g73h laptop.

Please help drivin me crazy
May 8, 2011 9:56:27 PM

Creepingdeath82 said:
Hi guys,

I'm getting the grey screen of death while playing games with this card I have the latest 11.4 drivers and I still get random crashes, is there a hot fix out there?

Its the mobility version in a Asus g73h laptop.

Please help drivin me crazy


Tell us how it was before the catalyst update, if it wasn't like that before, then roll back the drivers to 11.3 or your previous version. I have experienced problems with AMD drivers, but I have an Alienware M17x R2 with dual 5870M in Crossfire, so I can't test this myself.
Related resources
May 9, 2011 6:18:50 PM

I was getting this with the 11.3 and 11.2
May 17, 2011 8:14:33 PM

I've also been experiencing a lot of grey-screens / crashes with my 5870 recently. I've been consistently getting problems when I try to play Battlefield Bad Company 2. Even before the menu screen comes up I would see flickering and tearing of the screen. Then I uninstalled the driver for my video card and let Windows 7 install the driver that comes with it. So far it has been solid and I've been able to play BC2 without any crashing. Now I'm going to start with a recent driver and keep going backwards until I stop having problems again. Then I'll have the most recent, stable driver.
May 17, 2011 8:28:40 PM

Can you tell us how long that you have had this and when you got it? This problem was very common in late 2009 when the RV870 (58x0) was introduced. As for drivers sorry there is much that I can suggest either than drop the memory clock or play with the volts beyond that sorry :s
May 17, 2011 8:38:40 PM

What windows driver are you referring to?
May 17, 2011 8:43:33 PM

Creepingdeath82 said:
What windows driver are you referring to?


Rollback further to a revision that you know to be working prior to the recent update if you still remember or have them available to you. If you only recently got the gray screen of death issue then a rollback is the best immediate option and if is changed I suggest that you contact customer service and question their support staff for other options such as rma or service.
May 17, 2011 8:57:04 PM

nforce4max said:
Can you tell us how long that you have had this and when you got it? This problem was very common in late 2009 when the RV870 (58x0) was introduced. As for drivers sorry there is much that I can suggest either than drop the memory clock or play with the volts beyond that sorry :s


For me the problems started on 5/8/2011. That was the same day I installed Dead Space, Dead Space 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 from Steam as well as an Adobe Reader update. I began experiencing crashes when running games and watching flash videos. I don't recall what version of Catalyst I had installed at the time, 10.x I think, but the next day I installed 11.4 and later 11.5. Unfortunately no amount of "clean" installs made any difference. I even uninstalled SP1 and a Direct2D update that I had installed around the same time. I reinstalled the Visual C++ 2005 redist on XFX's advice, but that also had no effect.

I have a catalyst profile for gaming that sets the core clock to 400 Mhz, the memory clock to 1250 Mhz and the fan speed to 40%. I've been using this profile for a while now and until recently I had been able to play a wide variety of games without any real problems.

So far the only solution I've found is to uninstall the driver for the video card and let Windows 7 install the one that comes with it. You can leave the catalyst suite installed if you want; it made no difference for me. When using the driver that comes with Windows 7 I didn't even need my custom profile to play BC2. The card ran hotter ( 71 c ) than I normally let it get, but it was stable.
May 17, 2011 9:01:56 PM

Creepingdeath82 said:
What windows driver are you referring to?


I'm referring to the Radeon HD 5870 driver that comes with Windows 7. If you uninstall and delete your video card driver, then Windows will install the driver that it has built in. It's an old driver but it's working for me.
May 17, 2011 9:02:30 PM

voidlord said:
For me the problems started on 5/8/2011. That was the same day I installed Dead Space, Dead Space 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 from Steam as well as an Adobe Reader update. I began experiencing crashes when running games and watching flash videos. I don't recall what version of Catalyst I had installed at the time, 10.x I think, but the next day I installed 11.4 and later 11.5. Unfortunately no amount of "clean" installs made any difference. I even uninstalled SP1 and a Direct2D update that I had installed around the same time. I reinstalled the Visual C++ 2005 redist on XFX's advice, but that also had no effect.

I have a catalyst profile for gaming that sets the core clock to 400 Mhz, the memory clock to 1250 Mhz and the fan speed to 40%. I've been using this profile for a while now and until recently I had been able to play a wide variety of games without any real problems.

So far the only solution I've found is to uninstall the driver for the video card and let Windows 7 install the one that comes with it. You can leave the catalyst suite installed if you want; it made no difference for me. When using the driver that comes with Windows 7 I didn't even need my custom profile to play BC2. The card ran hotter ( 71 c ) than I normally let it get, but it was stable.


That is why I sat this round out as far as ATI is concerned but that didn't spare me from issues with openGL applications :(  and a lot of thermal problems. I want ATI to improve their drivers again like they did with the 9.xx series enough so that they actually work without problems like this except in rare occasions then I'll gladly buy one of their cards again. As for you try the memory downclock and nothing helps then I don't know what there is that I can suggest to you to help :( 
May 18, 2011 4:27:25 PM

The most recent and somewhat stable driver for me is 8.821 ( Catalyst 11.2 ). I don't get any flickering when loading Battlefield Bad Company 2, but the system does eventually crash ( BCCode 124 ) while playing.

I don't have the option to underclock memory. The current setting of 1250 Mhz is the lowest setting available. I'll try overclocking it, but the high end is 1300 which doesn't give me much of a range.
May 20, 2011 12:33:27 AM

After some more experimenting it seems that it's not the driver that was causing the flickering, but something else in the Catalyst suite. I found that if I uninstalled the Catalyst suite and just installed the driver only I didn't get the flickering problem no matter which version of the driver I installed. So currently I have driver version 8.85 installed along with MSI Afterburner for fan control. While I no longer get any flickering when playing Battlefield Bad Company 2, it does still crash eventually.
January 9, 2012 7:12:33 PM

Know it's a pretty old thread, but for anyone else who ends up here, this is a problem with the vBIOS not being compatible with the newer drivers. check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD... -- You update your BIOS, wipe and flash new vBIOS, and enjoy you're new drivers with NO GSOD!!
January 9, 2012 7:59:18 PM

I always said that it was probably a BIOS issue.
!