Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help Building a new PC

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2011 7:59:58 AM

Hello, I am planning on building a new PC. Unfortunately, this is the first PC I've build in my life and have very little knowledge on building one. Here are the parts I have decided to use so far.

-----Main Parts-----

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case

PSU: CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100311SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4EG HD155UI 1.5TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD Read/Burn: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

-----Other Stuff-----

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Everything adds up to $1,580.83 before shipping/tax/rebates
I am not allowed to add anything after I have given the price to the one who is funding it so please tell me if I need anything else or get something different.

I will not be updating the hardware after its finish building.

Also, some additional questions,

1.)Where do I plug in the DVD drive to the Motherboard, its a SATA, but I don't know if I will plug that into the SATA 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s

2.)Is there any issues with the parts I chose?

3.) Should I get the Cooler Master CPU Cooler if I am not going to plan on over-clocking the CPU?

4.) Is there any tips and pre-warnings for installing windows 7

5.) What is Posting the motherboard, do I need do that that?

More about : building

a b B Homebuilt system
July 18, 2011 2:36:26 PM

anyone please? answering any of the question would be very helpful for me
m
l

Best solution

July 18, 2011 5:15:22 PM

1.) 3Gb/s
2.) Check the CPU Support List (looks good), Memory Support List (I don't see your memory listed but I only glanced at it) and VGA support list here (left side of the page): ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Professional
You should be fine with the VGA since you are only using 1 but if you have any plans to get a second card the list will show you which they have tested.
3.) Stock cooler should be fine if you don't overclock.
4.) I usually tell it to download updates later. It just makes the install faster.
5.) POST is Power On Self Test. The motherboard does it automatically every time you power on your computer. You can power on your system once you connect everything to verify that it will successfully POST. If it isn't successful you should hear a beep code, assuming you have a pc speaker, which you can look up either in the mobo manual or the ASRock website.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2011 1:29:25 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I did a few adjustments to the build but somewhat minor.
I switched the Windows 7 Home Prem to an OEM version to save $100.
Removed the extra CPU cooler.
and changed the RAM because of its lower latency (9 to 7)

The Memory (both version) isn't on the memory support list, but from the memory's supported motherboard lists, it says the ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Pro is supported, would that be ok too?

also, if any parts are defective, how much money is needed for shipping it back for replacements?
m
l
July 19, 2011 2:58:24 AM

You are aware of the differences between retail and OEM versions of the OS? OEM cannot be moved to another (new) computer where retail versions can.

Those lists are just the combinations that have been tested to work by the vendors, as long as one of them say it's good you should be fine. I've used RAM/Mobo combos that were not listed and had no problems but I've also had other builds that were pretty flaky, so I always look for those lists.

Return policies vary quite a bit. I think most places require you to pay to ship it back, which will cost you based on size/weight of the item. Newegg does send a replacement at no cost though, not sure about other sites. The site should have their return policy listed somewhere, probably under customer service or help. I've been very lucky so far and have not had to return anything to an online retailer.

Good luck!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2011 3:11:52 AM

I know the differences between the versions, but the OEM is a lot cheaper than the full version, and I am not getting a new computer in the foreseeable future, or having any upgrades. but lets say I installed the OEM on this computer, but then the hard drive dies after 2 days, would I still be able to use the OEM on the replacement?
m
l
July 19, 2011 3:20:01 AM

If it's only small things like adding or swapping a hard drive you should be fine.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2011 3:39:04 AM

Best answer selected by Foverosiv.
m
l
!