Acer 6X4X32 not writing at 6X

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm asking this for a friend. He has an Acer 6X4X32.
We have tried using Adaptec EZ CD creator 4 and several different updates to this. We have also tried using Nero 5.
He is also using Win ME on a 2 year old Gateway with a PII 400.
The problem is that sometimes the software lets him write at 6X and sometimes it doesn't. Its seems to depend on what kind of mood the computer is in that day. On a bad day, it only sees his writer as a 4X. Does NE1 else have this problem? Any suggestions? Any software that works with this particular writer?
Thanks

G

Check your CD-R/CD-RW media. CD-RW media only burns at 4X.

--Kisai
"Hmm, I wonder how many pieces this will end up as when it hits the ground?"

G

HI!. well i have a Acer 4x2x32, its a little old, but burns always, but not at the same speed, just like you.
I think its for the CD-R media, for example i buy a box of 10 Verbatim and allways burns at 4x but if another one burns at 2x. Hope help this messege

G

My brother has an Acer 4X4X28 and it is a really good burner and we've had no problems with it, but we recently got an Acer 8X4X32 and it doesn't work above 4X. At 4X, it works fine. It is not the CDs, they are rated up to 12x. It will burn the CDs as if it was working, but as soon as it's done, it doesn't even recognize then as CDs. Music CDs won't play in CD players, either. Sounds like they just took the 4X burner and put it in over-drive to me. BTW - we sent the first one back because it didn't work at all. It kept freezing right after it would start burning. The one I'm talking about is a replacement.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. The CDs are 12X. I use the same ones in my Acer 10X and they burn 700MB in just over 6 min. It use to work just fine at 6X. My friend believes that it is due to WinME, but then again, mine is using WinME and again its working just fine.
We are going to format his hard drive and do a clean install to see if that helps. He really gets in there and screws things up sometimes so it may be time to clean things off anyway.
I'll let you know how it goes.

G

Sounds like another example of cheap crappy rebadged burners to me. Don't ever buy a cheap IDE burner unless you've seen a good review first.

I've seen so many brand new IDE recorders that can't burn at their top speed, can't copy at all, can't read at all or won't copy sometimes depending on what the weather is like.