singalo928

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Not sure if I am posting this in the right area but ill shoot in the dark nevertheless.
I have an Altec Lansing 5.1 system that I want to connect to my Kenwood Reciever that Is already connected to my toshiba television. the altec lansing is built for computers but ive seen you all suggesting that it is possible to connect to a tv. I want to connect it to my receiver.
If you need model numbers just ask Its late.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
This is really tricky but you can do it. First off I'd suggest getting new speakers, but if you want it to work, here's how:

First you need to attach the satelites and center channel directly to the powered outputs of the receiver. This may mean either cutting off the plugs (and destroying the system) or rigging up some sort of adapters. I am not responsible for damage to your system, you are.

Next you need to run the sub preamp output from your receiver, into the sub/center channel input on your sub. You might want to rig it so that you're dropping the center channel.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Horrible idea though, as mentioned, just get new speakers. You can even sell the AL system to recoup the costs of most of the costs. This is just not a good idea. Have you even tested whether your system supports the ohms rating of the speakers in question, you could really be in for a surprise.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
That would probably be a lot easier. Depends on the TV, but you should be able to run the TV's line out directly to the speakers. Thought you might need to get a rca to miniplug cable.

Without knowing model numbers, I'm just guessing.

singalo928

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
the toshiba tv model number is 57HX83 trying to attach it to my
altec lansing atp5
thanks for the help.
also I have a ps3 I want to get surround sound from... how would i work that out.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Your tv only outputs stereo, so you could try an (rca to minijack cable) like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

Plug it into either the audio out or audio out (var) on your tv, and into the front inputs on your speakers. (use the audio out var if you want your tv's volume control to work)

You'll have to use the Stereo x2 button on your speakers to get sound out of the rear, and it won't be true surround sound. BTW these speakers are 4.1 not 5.1