Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Testing Z77 Sabertooth

Last response: in Motherboards
July 9, 2012 4:45:10 PM

Hello all,

Im planning on buying this board in the next couple days. I have a strange request though, I live over seas and will be shipping this board home, where i will then pick it up when i visit next week and bring it back to the middle east with me along with my new ram, CPU and CPU cooler.

My question is, is there an way to test all my new equip without greasing the CPU? I want to make sure everything is in working order before I drag it all halfway around the world. SO, would it be safe to just rig everything up real quick without thermal paste? I just want to make sure the board posts and the ram is recognized.

This is my first build and i may be going about this whole thing wrong, feel free to set me straight if thats the case, im here to learn.

More about : testing z77 sabertooth

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 316 à CPUs
a c 245 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 5:04:37 PM

No, you should never leave the cpu without a cooler. The motherboard will not post in most cases without a fan in the cpu fan header anyway.

Why not install the supplied stock cooler to test it?

Then when you set up the build for real, just remove the stock cooler, and dump it, and install the aftermarket cooler.

Most aftermarket coolers are large enough that I would not want to leave it installed while transporting it.
You could leave the cpu and ram in their sockets.
m
l
July 9, 2012 5:08:16 PM

I would turn it on without a cooler, just without the paste. that way i dont have to buy any paste remover?

Or does the stock cooler not leave paste on the chip?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 316 à CPUs
a c 245 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 5:17:17 PM

clusterfunked said:
I would turn it on without a cooler, just without the paste. that way i dont have to buy any paste remover?

Or does the stock cooler not leave paste on the chip?

The stock cooler will leave a paste residue.

Rubbing alcohol works well as a paste remover. I use paper coffee filters which are lint free.
It is wise, anyway, to be prepared to remount a cooler. You should get a tube of paste with the cooler that is good for several applications. Remember, use as little paste as possible. Too much acts as an insulator.
July 9, 2012 5:20:48 PM

Best answer selected by clusterfunked.
m
l
July 9, 2012 5:22:07 PM

Thanks for the help, ill just do it right and apply the paste both times. seems silly now that i type it out to try and save 5 min of work.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 5:23:48 PM

Frankly, I would either buy the parts locally or full test the system before shipping including extensive stress testing with a product like AIDA64 Extreme (all stress options) for 24-48 hours; link http://www.aida64.com/downloads

The Stock HSF has TIM pre-applied so once the TIM (Thermal Paste) is used it needs to be removed. It's very simple, use a paper towel or coffee filter (lint free towel is best) and wipe off the used TIM (CPU & HSF). Next clean both surfaces off with Isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab and lastly blow-off any lint. The CPU can be removed to be cleaned, and make certain the plastic CPU Protector is put back on the MOBO as soon as the CPU is removed.

TIM like MX-4 isn't too expensive ($10) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
July 9, 2012 5:54:08 PM

Wasnt planing on taking an HDD home with me and AIDA64 doesnt seem to be a stand alone program, but this is something to consider.
m
l
July 9, 2012 5:56:19 PM

Is that TIM any better than AS-5?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 316 à CPUs
a c 245 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 5:59:54 PM

clusterfunked said:

I have used both MX-4 and AS-5. Can't tell the difference.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 8:29:59 PM

clusterfunked said:
Wasnt planing on taking an HDD home with me and AIDA64 doesnt seem to be a stand alone program, but this is something to consider.

If you want to know if the components are 'good' then you must test ans stress test.
clusterfunked said:

AS-5 is conductive and MX-4 is non-conductive. Use MX-4.
m
l
!