My new upgrades are coming but what should I expect?

Deminos

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
So I just ordered my Amd Phenom 2 X4 955 3.2ghz BE and a new case, better cooling and its just nicer in general.

My build will look like

CPU Amd Phenom 2 X4 955 3.2ghz BE (stock cooler for the moment)

Mobo MSI 870a-G54 (not sure how amazing this mobo is)

Ram Mushkin enhanced 4x2gb 1333 1.5v 9-9-9-24 clock dual channel (so 4, 2 gig cards and 6 gigs of it are hardware reserved sadly)

GPU HIS Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ddr5 at stock until I figure out if I can OC in the new case and if the PSU will handle it

PSU Thermaltake TR2 W0379RU 500W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply

HDD 7200 rpm run of the mill 500gb hardrive nothing special really

Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black not really the best at all but I use steam a lot so it isn't used much anyways

CASERAIDMAX Altas ATX-295WB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156247

for future water cooling when I upgrade the gpu and PSU

EDIT: forgot to mention i'm going up from an OC stock cooler amd 2 x2 555 BE (OC 3.6 1.4 V and a tiny increase to NB volt.)

Now I'm hoping the PSU can handle all this and I'll have 3 120 mm fans as well as an 80 mm fan in there as well.

What kind of performance am I going to see(Game wise) if the PSU can handle it? (if It can't I'll but an 850 watt PSU so I can buy a better card/s and what not in a few months.

Thanks for any responses, as always
Deminos

Solution
Unless you are playing games that are multi core enabled, I don't think you will see any measurable performance increase.

Since your psu is working well now, you should have no problems with a new cpu.

For games, the critical component is usually the graphics card, not the cpu.

Do measure your FPS before and after the upgrade and post your results. Who knows, it could surprise.
Unless you are playing games that are multi core enabled, I don't think you will see any measurable performance increase.

Since your psu is working well now, you should have no problems with a new cpu.

For games, the critical component is usually the graphics card, not the cpu.

Do measure your FPS before and after the upgrade and post your results. Who knows, it could surprise.

Solution

Deminos

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Well, a majority of the games I play do need the extra cores such as GTA IV and Lost Planet 2, I get High fps but they stutter constantly and its only on these games that utilize multiple cores that this happens on.